Upgrade build from my 2500k stuck between 2 options

Rezechs

I'm floating between these 2 processors at the moment for the last 1-2 weeks and cant decide on what one. I have a i5 2500k at the moment if that gives any indication to how often I Upgrade my pc so when I do upgrade from this planned build it will likely be a completely new system/socket so having an upgrade path means little to me.

It appears in gaming, with the same speed memory ( alot of 12400 reviews comparing the 2 have ddr5 memory in the 12400 systems vs ddr4 in the 5600x) the 5600x pulls ahead.

Price wise they are within $20 atm with similar tier of boards so wondering what you guys would choose? This would be a purely gaming build with no plans on doing anything else with the system.

12400 w/ MSI PRO B660M-a board

or

5600x w/ Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite

Thanks

I would recommend the 5600X option, as you can overclock it later on, which means you can have the cpu & motherboard combo for longer. Make sure you get a solid cpu cooler as well.

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

1 minute ago, GeorgeMKane said:

I would recommend the 5600X option, as you can overclock it later on, which means you can have the cpu & motherboard combo for longer. Make sure you get a solid cpu cooler as well.

Coming from my 2500k thats an OC god, Ive seen that OCing the 5000 series is very marginal gains maybe 5% is that true? I can go from stock to 4.8ghz on air on my 2500k

1 minute ago, Rezechs said:

Coming from my 2500k thats an OC god, Ive seen that OCing the 5000 series is very marginal gains maybe 5% is that true? I can go from stock to 4.8ghz on air on my 2500k

Less than that, more often than not you won't get any gain or less than 2 or 3%. Not sure how overclocking a 5600X would extend its useful life.

Both are about the same. Just go with the cheaper or the one which the MB features fits your needs the best.

11 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

12400f offers usually a lot better value than 12400.

picked the 12400 because i can get it for only $10 more than the 12400f and the igpu wld be nice for troubleshooting if ever needed

27 minutes ago, Rezechs said:

Ryzen 5000 actually loses performance when you try to overclock. The stock boost algorithm runs the CPU so close to redline that any attempt at an OC will lose you single core performance and maybe get you 100MHz all core for a lot more voltage and power consumption. I wouldn't consider either of those CPUs overclockable. 

Personally, the only reason I see to still go Ryzen 5000 is that you an usually get a more feature rich motherboard for not a lot more than B660 boards (the B550 Steel Legend has a POST code and is pretty close to this price range, you'd have to spend double to get that same feature on a 12th gen board). If you can get by with a low end board, you're better off just going Alder Lake since it is still a socket being actively developed (yes I know the 5800X3D is coming out, I still consider AM4 a dead socket because within 6 months it will be replaced).

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Ryzen 5000 actually loses performance when you try to overclock. The stock boost algorithm runs the CPU so close to redline that any attempt at an OC will lose you single core performance and maybe get you 100MHz all core for a lot more voltage and power consumption. I wouldn't consider either of those CPUs overclockable. 

Personally, the only reason I see to still go Ryzen 5000 is that you an usually get a more feature rich motherboard for not a lot more than B660 boards (the B550 Steel Legend has a POST code and is pretty close to this price range, you'd have to spend double to get that same feature on a 12th gen board). If you can get by with a low end board, you're better off just going Alder Lake since it is still a socket being actively developed (yes I know the 5800X3D is coming out, I still consider AM4 a dead socket because within 6 months it will be replaced).

I was thinking a 5600x build also to take advantage of SAM since i have a 6700xt but it seems like i can still do that on an intel system its just named different?

3 minutes ago, Rezechs said:

I was thinking a 5600x build also to take advantage of SAM since i have a 6700xt but it seems like i can still do that on an intel system its just named different?

Yeah, you can enable that on Intel as well. It's just called Resizable BAR in the Intel BIOS (and still most AMD boards I've used)