Vintage Infinity 2500 Speakers

Teslamonger

I've had these speakers sitting in the garage for quite some time now, and I've figured it'd be a good time to start using them. I guess my question is what would I need to power these speakers (amp, reciever, etc) at a minalistic price, while still maintaining the functionaility of controlling the volume through a remote. Also, I'd be hooking these up to a TV, hence the need for a remote.

Here's a link of the speaker's specs that I managed to find :

http://www.infinity-classics.de/technik/manuals/1500_and_2500_technical_sheet.pdf

I don't know if I supplied enough information, so I'll post more if needed.

at a bare minimum, this is all you need.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-302

I'd say just go find a cheap receiver, either stereo, or surround and only use the front outputs.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

They need a lot more power than 2x15 Watt since their SPL is quite low. I would say at least 2x30 to make them play decently. You should be able to find some nice cheap Denon/Marantz/Onkyo receivers which are remote controlled. Maybe go to some yard sales or flea markets and find a nice sturdy old receiver.

Really, are you sure 30 watts per channel is enough, even with them being 4 ohms?  I bought a home-theather-in-a-box (LG 6720 S) a while back, and each channel runs at 167 watts. I decided to hook up these speakers to see how well they sounded, and they were acceptable to listen at while the amp/reciever was set to 35%. Isn't that about 60 watts per channel, and possibily more to have additional headroom for increasing the volume?

Also,would it be possible to add on more speakers (I'd personally like a 4-channel setup), when they had completely different wattage ratings and ohms from the Infinity 2500s?

the volume isn't linear, and it's more complicated than that to factor wattage.

as for adding other speakers, it would probably sound like something is out of place, due to frequency response and efficiency,

Nothing will be broken by adding more, it just may not sound quite right.

my speakers are 90db/w, I had an 8w amp powering them far beyond normal listening levels.(fine for a small/med sized room)

yours are 86db/w I really don't think they will need a very powerful amp. 

if you already have a surround receiver, just use it and don't worry about buying an amp/stereo receiver.

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Ahaha, the surround reciever is set up in another room and is currently being used. I was going to create my own surround sound system using the spare speakers in my garage.

Is there any chance someone could link me a couple of 4 channel amplifiers with a remote that would work in this scenario?

I'd say, go for it.

and I doubt you are pushing 60w to your speakers currently.

volume controls are usually logarithmic so there's less of a change the closer you are to 0,

and you have to factor in source line level voltage and gain.

it's almost like saying my car can go 150mph because that's how high the speedometer goes.

it's almost like saying my car can go 150mph because that's how high the speedometer goes.

My car can't go 150?  :o

• 2 weeks later...

I'm tempted to go out to an electronics store and temporarly buy an amp from there, just to make sure 45 watts would work, before I buy it online and get stuck with a restocking + shipping fee for returns.

Wait, what's the return policy like on parts-express.com? Are all items subject to a restocking fee + shipping fee when returned?