Cooler suggestion for I7-12700k

Ilnez

Hey all,

So I've finally managed to acquire a 3080 at a little over MSRP and it's time to build a system around it. I've already decided that I want to go with a 12th gen i7 but, from what I've heard, the temps are a little insane. As such I'm looking for a really good cooler that preferably isn't a Ryujin II.

I'm building the computer in a Corsair 5000d Airflow so RGB is pretty important to me actually, so I'd require the cooler be RGB. 

Any suggestions? Don't really have a price point in mind so feel free to suggest anything.

6 minutes ago, Ilnez said:

Hey all,

So I've finally managed to acquire a 3080 at a little over MSRP and it's time to build a system around it. I've already decided that I want to go with a 12th gen i7 but, from what I've heard, the temps are a little insane. As such I'm looking for a really good cooler that preferably isn't a Ryujin II.

I'm building the computer in a Corsair 5000d Airflow so RGB is pretty important to me actually, so I'd require the cooler be RGB. 

Any suggestions? Don't really have a price point in mind so feel free to suggest anything.

If u want water cooled GO with NXZT Kraken X63

If u want Ait go with Cooler Master Hyper 213 RGB Black Edition arownd 45 Bucks

16 minutes ago, TheYTB said:

If u want Ait go with Cooler Master Hyper 213 RGB Black Edition arownd 45 Bucks

Don't. The 12700k is a hot CPU, it'll overwhelm a Hyper 212 pretty easily. You need a dual tower air cooler at the minimum.

I've built a system with a 12700k and a Scythe Fuma II and while the temps were warm, they were manageable (low 80s after a 10 minute R23 run). If you just wanna run the chip at stock, it's perfect for that. If you want to overclock, you'd pretty much need a 360mm AIO. The Arctic Liquid Freezer II series is one of the best band-for-the-buck AIOs you can get right now, and they have RGB and A-RGB SKUs. 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Don't. The 12700k is a hot CPU, it'll overwhelm a Hyper 212 pretty easily. You need a dual tower air cooler at the minimum.

I've built a system with a 12700k and a Scythe Fuma II and while the temps were warm, they were manageable (low 80s after a 10 minute R23 run). If you just wanna run the chip at stock, it's perfect for that. If you want to overclock, you'd pretty much need a 360mm AIO. The Arctic Liquid Freezer II series is one of the best band-for-the-buck AIOs you can get right now, and they have RGB and A-RGB SKUs. 

I've been hearing a lot about the Arctic Liquid Freezer II. Wasn't sure it'd be able to keep something as powerful as a 12700K cool since I'd mostly heard of it as a budget AIO.

1 hour ago, Ilnez said:

I've been hearing a lot about the Arctic Liquid Freezer II. Wasn't sure it'd be able to keep something as powerful as a 12700K cool since I'd mostly heard of it as a budget AIO.

It's one of the best AIOs on the market, it just happens to also be cheap. 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It's one of the best AIOs on the market, it just happens to also be cheap. 

It's huge though, I can't fit it in the case I wanted. Is the RGB version equally good to the non-RGB?

Case is a Corsair 5000d Airflow btw

21 minutes ago, Ilnez said:

It's huge though, I can't fit it in the case I wanted. Is the RGB version equally good to the non-RGB?

Yeah, the only difference is the lights on it. It's the same AIO with different, equally good fans. 

5000D is a big case, you should be able to fit that AIO in there. The 360mm version should fit just fine. 

12 minutes ago, Ilnez said:

It does fit on the front.  https://pcpartpicker.com/b/PMBZxr

Also you seem to overestimate quite a bit how hard to cool the 12700K is, it is hot, it's uses up to 190W at stock after all, but it's not like good coolers can't deal with. Most good coolers between $60 and $100 will do the job just fine. The mentioned Scythe Fuma 2, or something similar like the Deepcool AK620 would work well at stock.

If you're thinking on overclocking, I would recommend against it, you will end up having to go well over 300W to get any improvement. The most likely is double the power consumption for a 5% performance increase at best.