How do you get used to track pads?

Paul Siu

I have to admit that I have never gotten used to using a trackpad. I often disabe the touch pad and use a mouse because I often trigger the trackpad by accident, causing the cursor to move around while typing. I have difficulty selecting text. Do you know of any tutorial or tips on how to improve profficiency on laptop?

Update

I think I figure out my issue with trackpad. I seemed to have developed bad habits from using too old of a generation of computers. The first computer I used with trackpad had these two physical buttons on the bottom of the trackpad. To use, I would use my index finger on the trackpad and then click using my thumb. This was necessary because the touchpad were not multitouch. Unfortunately, that habit is bad for today's trackpad. There is no more physical button and the touch pad is multiple touch. When I attempt to click using my thumb, the trackpad would register both my index finger and my thumb and get confused. 

To make things even worse, the most recent laptop I got from work has a enormous trackpad and is off-centered (because the laptop appears to have a numeric keypad). When I click on the bottom of the trackpad, I would triggered the right-click.

Here are the adjustment I want to make to hopefully improve my productivity.

1. Stop using my thumb and use my finger to press down on the touchpad to click. I never use this because older trackpads couldn't be clicked and you had to use the physical button, which no longer exists. 
  2. Set up trackpad to register a single finger as the left click and two finger as the right-click. This seems to help with the accidental right-click issue.
  3. Learn to use gesture. I think they have now become standardized enough that I can learn them and use them across different laptops.
  4. Type in the right position. i think part of the issue is caused not typing at a right angle. Sometimes at work, I have to work on 3-4 machine at the same time resulting in me typing at an angle.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Windows and other operating systems should have a setting that disables the trackpad when typing. That should fix the accidentally touching it when typing.

As for how to use one, it's just muscle memory. You have to get used to it by actually using the trackpad. Although when it comes to certain tasks, like gaming, I wouldn't recommend even bothering with learning it. Trackpads are awful for most games.

trackpads for me are iffy.

Most ive used have good palm rejection, including a shittty hp laptop and a 2 chromebooks.

In my experience, you want either max or basically max pointer speed, and no acceleration on the pointer, theyre too slugish for me otherwise

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Windows and other operating systems should have a setting that disables the trackpad when typing. That should fix the accidentally touching it when typing.

As for how to use one, it's just muscle memory. You have to get used to it by actually using the trackpad. Although when it comes to certain tasks, like gaming, I wouldn't recommend even bothering with learning it. Trackpads are awful for most games.

its not a os thing usualy. I had a laptop where it was on on every os by default, even though it had palm rejection. It seems to be a trackpad driver level thing that i could only turn off in linux. Palm rejection is really good on most laptops imo, though it might depend on the hands

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

its not a os thing usualy. I had a laptop where it was on on every os by default, even though it had palm rejection. It seems to be a trackpad driver level thing that i could only turn off in linux. Palm rejection is really good on most laptops imo, though it might depend on the hands

I haven't used a trackpad with Windows in years. My Vista laptop had a setting for it, but it's possible that it was actually an application for the trackpad specifically that I'm misremembering as a Windows settings menu. 

Today, I only use Linux on my laptops, as it runs way better on 8+ year old systems than Windows will, and it does everything I need.

Been using trackpads for over 25 years, I can't explain it other than "I just do". Gesture controls were a game-changer.

(I also never learned how to type "properly", so I'm used to keeping one palm on each side of the pad without triggering it.)

I could never get used to trackballs on a desktop, though. Laptops? Fine. But if I'm at a desk, gimme a real mouse. Those stupid thumb trackball things are a nightmare, they look so much like a mouse that I instinctively start dragging it around the desk when I have to fix someone's computer and they have one.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I actually liked them once I got used to them. I got to where I thought of the pad as a virtual scroll wheel for the cursor. That helped me a lot. I actually want a trackball or trackpad for my gaming desktop, as I game from bed due to health issues and space constraints.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

As macOS user - I'm trackpad-main (both desktop and laptop), however that's mainly cause Apple solution is great (superior to mice in almost everything).

In Windows... trackpad is... well... usable is not the word I would use lol (unless this situation suddenly changed and I'm not aware... doubts)

I have actually use Macs, Windows, and Linux on Trackpad. I have actually use Thinkpad quite a bit. Keep in mind that that I am often at a mercy of what my employer give me. I can't go and tell them that I don't like what they are giving me.

In any case, this isn't a hardware issue since I have the same issue on anything with a track pad. I am just trying to learn how to get around it.

7 hours ago, Paul Siu said:

In any case, this isn't a hardware issue since I have the same issue on anything with a track pad. I am just trying to learn how to get around it.

Then you either:

- … use it

- not use it, and learn to navigate w/ keyboard, learn shortcuts

- get a mouse/trackball that you like and use it with every laptop you are given

Also, I’m not sure what exactly is going on, but maybe it is a dexterity issue.

You can google/youtube hand/finger dexterity exercises.

Or maybe you are just overthinking it, and simply did not spend enough time to get accustomed.

Nipple mouse is the way to go. When I use my laptop on my lap, the trackpad is never in a comfortable position being at the bottom. As for using it, there's nothing to really "get used to." Perhaps your trackpad is larger than normal or you type funny. My wrists are on the "wrist rest" (plastic chassis) and the palms never touch the pad when typing. Windows should have palm rejection to prevent accidental touches though.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

I will use a crappy wireless mouse over any trackpad.  Trackpads shouldn't even be a thing anymore, imho, since we have touchscreen capabilities.

4 minutes ago, IPD said:

I will use a crappy wireless mouse over any trackpad.  Trackpads shouldn't even be a thing anymore, imho, since we have touchscreen capabilities.

Have ever used a mac? Even older one with a much smaller trackpad, still pulls miles ahead of anything I’ve encountered on other laptops

5 minutes ago, rikitikitavi said:

Have ever used a mac? Even older one with a much smaller trackpad, still pulls miles ahead of anything I’ve encountered on other laptops

Not since the Power MAC's we used to have (at college)  in the late 90's.  I have too much self-respect and self-esteem to go down that road.