Advice for purchase: LG C1 48"/55" or Samsung Odysses G9

2RedNinja

LG C1 OLED vs Samsung Odysses G9  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the two screens would you choose to buy?

• LG C1 OLED TV
    • Samsung Odysses G9 monitor

I'm wanting to upgrade from a LG 27UK650-W with a FHD Insignia tv as a second screen. With maybe keeping the LG 27UK650-W as a second screen if it'll fit my 49"ish wood desk on an arm up above the screen. This/these screens will be used for computer monitors: gaming, streaming and web surfing. Also will be used as a PS5 screen.

I've read the individual reviews of the screens on rtings.com and tomshardware.com, also the scores- such as the HDR gaming.

I've also watched a LG C1 48" and 65" in the local best buy. Also I haven't found any direct comparison between the LG C1 and Samsung Odyssey G9, so can I please have advice for my purchasing decision?

Does the LG C1 support 32:9 aspect ratio mode?

Is the flickering issue in the Samsung Odyssey G9 and the Neo version, become so annoying that, it's not worth buying?

Which is the better picture?

The C1 doesnt have to 'support' 32:9.

You make a custom resolution, set scaling to GPU, and disable said scaling. You then get 32:9

I run 21:9 often on my old Plasma 16:9 display and i can assure you it does not 'support' 21:9 😛

In terms of picture quality the C1 is the better.

As for comparison ..here you go.

C1 vs G9

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/compare/lg-48-c1-oled-vs-samsung-odyssey-g9/24625/14363?usage=3623&threshold=0.10

C1 vs Neo G9

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/compare/lg-48-c1-oled-vs-samsung-odyssey-neo-g9/24625/23186?usage=3623&threshold=0.10

Since ur considering the C1 or the G9, u should also add the AW3423DW from Alienware , its a (the) QD-OLED monitor thats just released. Its hands down the best monitor on the market right now by a country mile.

Rtings has yet to release their review of it but here is Vincents youtube review.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

When the Samsung G8 releases this year, left wondering how this ranks into factoring into my purchasing given advice.

Thanks for letting me know.

I have ditched considering the non-Neo Samsung and added your suggestion.

The C1 also outdoes the non G9 from what I read of what you provided me.

What would be the ranking of these screens for desktop use and video gaming on PC/PS5/Xbox One X/Nintendo Switch best to least in performance and best value?

On 3/27/2022 at 4:15 AM, 2RedNinja said:

Does the LG C1 support 32:9 aspect ratio mode?

Not natively, but i think with a forced resolution. The C2 supports a 21:9 and 32:9 aspect ratio natively. It can be switched in the TV's menu.

Idk why you'd want 32:9 though as it will result in about two thirds of your screen being black bars.

Is the flickering issue in the Samsung Odyssey G9 and the Neo version, become so annoying that, it's not worth buying?

I still see common complaints about flickering and scanline issues on this monitor, so it seems Samsung has still not fixed it, even on the latest production models.

I'd skip this monitor alltogether.

Which is the better picture?

If you can control the light in your room, OLED will always be a superior option.

No matter how many dimming zones you have on an LCD monitor, you will still have blooming issues. Even on the best of them. But the higher brightness will allow for a better HDR picture in bright rooms.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.