Two VA24DQ monitors one is correct RGB colour format the other only YCbCr422 so cant enable full in nvidia for blacks

MardyMarvin

Hello,

I am a little confused as I have what I thought would be two identical monitors ASUS VA24DQ. Both plugged into a display port on my RTX3080 card. I have installed the latest nvidia drivers and even added the asus drivers rather then just the generic windows ones. I have tried a couple of other display cables but they did not seem to make a change and tried the same cable that is in the one that is correctly displaying RGB.

The are manufactured within a month of each other according to the sticker on the back. So how can I get it to RGB so that they match I only want it on RGB as I thought thats what they should be for best colours and so that I can enable the full mode in the nvidia settings to get better blacks (this could be old concept I have from HDMI)

so any advice would be great even if its dont worry it makes no difference.

Screenshot 2022-03-21 170321.png

Screenshot 2022-03-21 170342.png

16 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

NVIDIA control panel: https://i.imgur.com/XFm4Mww.png

thanks, I guess I should have shown the Nvidia options I just showed the windows one for ease I guess, but that is the issue I cant select RGB as its not an option in one monitor but is for the other.

image.png.9f9302c8bd975db87a129659d3227d39.png

ok I have no idea how that worked but was advised by someone to pull out the Display cable with the monitor turned on and the PC turned on with it displaying a picture. Then turn off the monitor and plug the cable back in whilst the monitor was off, then turn the monitor on and for some reason this has now fixed it !!!

even though I had done several reboots before, so I just hope this has fixed it permanently now.

image.png.8251418826223f18b416c3cdaa1d85f6.png

• 8 months later...

Old thread, but I surfed in with this exact problem - the fix above worked.

In case anyone else surfs through, here's some more information about my situation:

• My system (with a new GPU, RTX 4090, bought on release) had been working fine since I got it - my Samsung CRG9 doing RGB/8 bpc / full / 120hz with no problems at all. (Resolution: 5120×1440, DP cable certified 2.0 - but 5m long.)
  • About a week ago, I went to the kitchen to make coffe, came back, and the screen looked wrong. Sure enough: Windows had deactivated HDR, and Nvidia Control Panel would only allow YCbCr422 - no other options shown. Same as OP.
  • When this happened there was no crash immediately before, no error messages, no games running, just Windows with a few Chrome tabs and Word documents open. HOWEVER: I HAD just had a bunch of stability issues with the next-gen version of Witcher 3 - so I issued Witcher 3 was  at fault.
  • I tried the usual stuff, no beans:
    • Restarted the GPU (shift-ctrl-windows-b)
    • Rebooted a few times
    • Substituted a different DP cable, also high end.
    • Plugged DP cable into a different socket.
  • Then I ran DDU, reinstalled everything from scratch, even reinstalled Witcher 3 - seemed like the problem was solved. 
  • Today, the EXACT same thing happened again, EXACT same circumstances - the only difference was that I've had no more big problems with Witcher 3. (Hotfix + turning off all overlays solved my issues there!)
  • I spent a while surfing around, found this thread, tried the steps above: 

pull out the Display cable with the monitor turned on and the PC turned on with it displaying a picture. Then turn off the monitor and plug the cable back in whilst the monitor was off, then turn the monitor on and for some reason this has now fixed it !!!

• Problem solved. I can get normal settings in Nvidia Control Panel again.

My best guess is that the problem has SOMETHING to do with signal integrity. Here are a few thoughts for posterity - in case somebody else surfs into this same problem:

1. I run high quality cables, and I've been using these two cables for about 2 years now with this exact same monitor, same settings, ZERO problems.
  2. However, the cable runs are VERY long - I think they're actually longer than DP norms stipulate. This could create a situation where otherwise minor issues could cause signal degradation - and possibly cause Windows and/or Nvidia drivers to flag the monitor as non compliant with whatever it looks for to run at full settings. Sort of like booting in safe mode?
  3. I ALSO have a new GPU, so maybe there are some variations in DP socket quality there, too - like you add 2 & 3 together and have a weak point you didn't have before.
  4. I'm assuming that the fix above forces windows/drivers to re-recognize the monitor.
  5. So ... if this happens again, I'll also try uninstalling the MONITOR in control panel - that might ALSO force the same effect.

Spoiler

PSU: Cooler Master V1200 Platinum / MB: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming / CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x / RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) / GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 Gaming OC 24GB / OS: Windows 11 / Screen: Samsung CRG9 (5120 x 1440) / Case: DIY Bench built custom into a a cabinet / Case Fans: 4x BeQuiet Magicool 140mm Pure Wings / Rad: Magicool 180 Triple / Pump: Aquastream XT / Res: Aquacomputer aqualis PRO 450ml / CPU Block: EK Supremacy Clear Acetal / GPU Blocks: Bykski N-GV1080TIG1-X with VRAM Cooling via B-3090TC-X Water Block