What is better Dc mode or Pwm

Chilldudeno

When I set my computer to Pwm mode the fans ramp up and are very loud but when I set the fans to DC it's alot quieter. When I watched a videos where people talk about cooling they set it to Pwm from what I have seen. Please help I'm a complete noob when it comes to cooling.

Leave it to auto. If the fans are PWM (4 pins) you should leave it on PWM for best performance and lifespan. If it's a DC fan (3 pin) you should leave it on DC mode for best performance and lifespan. I'm gonna guess that your fans are of the 3 pin variety, and setting it to PWM will cause issues. 

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Leave it to auto. If the fans are PWM (4 pins) you should leave it on PWM for best performance and lifespan. If it's a DC fan (3 pin) you should leave it on DC mode for best performance and lifespan. I'm gonna guess that your fans are of the 3 pin variety, and setting it to PWM will cause issues. 

Yes my fans are a variety, I have 2 3 pins and 2 4 pins. So I am not confused you are saying leave the 4 pin fans on pwm and 3 pin fans on Dc?

1 minute ago, Chilldudeno said:

Yes my fans are a variety, I have 2 3 pins and 2 4 pins. So I am not confused you are saying leave the 4 pin fans on pwm and 3 pin fans on Dc?

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Or just leave everything on auto since it should configure it that way automatically.

Yup. Usually everything is set up automatically.

Only oldie moldie stuff doesn’t recognise things anymore.