Cleaning my radiators

The Print Craftsman

So somehow I missed the memo that I'm supposed to flush out my coolant loop every year.  I built my computer in the fall of 2017 with a custom cooling loop and have not done anything related to the cooling loop until now.  My pump quit working and as I've begun to investigate I am finding a lot of build up in my reservoir.  I have drained the system.  I have removed the reservoir and have thoroughly cleaned it.  I have a new pump ordered and on it's way.  While I wait on it I want to go ahead and clean the radiators and the CPU and GPU blocks.  From my research and reading online there are various flush kits available but white vinegar is also mentioned and I'm wondering if I really need to buy any of the more exotic flush chemicals?  And rather then add just 2 tablespoons of white vinegar, why couldn't I mix up a stronger solution like 50/50?  Or just pour straight vinegar into the radiator and shake it up and rinse it out?  Soapy water was also mentioned but do I really want to put soapy water into my radiator?  Maybe I misunderstood or mis-read the comment and maybe the soapy water was just for the outside of the radiator???

Anyway, I'm open to sage advice on how I should most likely proceed.  I do know that my radiators are all copper and I was careful not to use any aluminum in my cooling loop.  I used EKWB CPU water block and the GPU I bought was a water cooled one with the waterblock built into the GPU (GTX 1080 ti).  I know how to take apart the CPU water block but I am not exactly sure how to address the GPU?  I think I am just going to circulate water and/or a water/vinegar solution through it.  (Not while on the computer but by hand over the sink.)

I used flexible tubing.

Thank you so much in advance for any additional advice you might have.  I appreciate it.

Good question.. I flushed it all with 100% vinegar without asking myself any question lol 🙂

It does work,and much better than water (my problem was tainted coolant with a gross greenish hue, not build up)  and the system didn't suffer from it.. However it made a damn lot of big bubbles in the reservoir that required 3 or 4 runs of water flushing to be disposed of...

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

35 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Good question.. I flushed it all with 100% vinegar without asking myself any question lol

Sure hope you tested the PH in your system after that... whew lad.

Oof, you're going to want to do more than just flush the system. You're going to want to disassemble and scrub and clean any component of the loop that you can. If you used flexible plastic tubing you may just want to replace it, depending on if the tubing has build up or not sometimes it's extremely difficult to get clean or the build up will permanently discolor the tubing. Once everything is individually cleaned you will want to flush the loop as a whole to be sure it's fully clean, I'd recommend an actual solution designed for it, rather than vinegar, with how long you neglected it I'd say the strongest solution you can use. You'll want to do several runs of distilled water flushes after, and then refill the loop with your preferred fluid. Make sure this time that you are doing the correct maintenance and do it often. If you properly maintain the loop you won't have nearly as many issues or lose pumps.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

@The Print CraftsmanMayhems used to make a cleaning kit. I'm not sure it it is still available, but I have used it several times and had no complaints. 

Mayhems Blitz Rad Kit : Amazon.ca: Sports & Outdoors

There used to be a full loop cleaner too... It was like a mild soap. But can't seem to find that kit anymore, where they had both. The above is only meant for the Rads.

3 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

@The Print CraftsmanMayhems used to make a cleaning kit. I'm not sure it it is still available, but I have used it several times and had no complaints. 

Mayhems Blitz Rad Kit : Amazon.ca: Sports & Outdoors

There used to be a full loop cleaner too... It was like a mild soap. But can't seem to find that kit anymore, where they had both. The above is only meant for the Rads.

image.png.0db9dfb755bbb38c0a14b414ca152796.png

🤣

4 hours ago, Bad5ector said:

Sure hope you tested the PH in your system after that... whew lad.

Well I did flush it with like 4 runs of distilled water afterwards, why would some acid still remain ?

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

6 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Well I did flush it with like 4 runs of distilled water afterwards, why would some acid still remain ?

When you say 4 runs... do you mean 4 jugs of 4L distilled water? Then you're probably fine. If you mean just a fill, empty repeat x4... I would go get some litmus strips just to be safe. 

Something like these might do: 

4 Packs of pH Test Strips, Wide-Range 1-14, Litmus Paper, for Water, Drinks, Vinegar, Saliva, Urine, Cosmetic Solutions, Soap (320 Strips) : Amazon.ca: Industrial & Scientific

there's a few solution i have use

for rads,

1. hot water (100c) flush, use gloves
  2. phosphoric flush (clear vinegar works too), make sure u flush it thoroughly with distilled later

for blocks,

1. disassemble block (ek do have instructions pdf)
  2. clean plexi part with soapy water & soft tooth brush; wash it after with water, final pass only distilled
  3. clean acetal/metal parts with aqueous IPA, tooth paste & brush; wash it after with water, final pass only distilled
Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini