New monitor or new adapter?

XxRescueRabbitxX

Hi there! 

So I’ve been having a bit of issues with my monitor. It’s a VGA to HDMI input with one of those lil adapters and it seems from what I’ve gathered to be a bad connection as there were green pixels on black/dark spots. (got some help from another post earlier!). Now currently I’m using a HDMI to HDMI tv (which is awful) but there’s no green pixels when I use it so I assume it’s either the adapter or the monitor itself. My old monitors max resolution was 1680 by 1050 I believe so it is kicking on in age. 

So this brings me to my question do I buy a new adapter and use my old monitor if possible. Or go for a new HDMI monitor? My build will have a new 3070 GPU so I could run upto 4K with it. I’d like atleast 1440p however I’ve not exactly got a lot of money. If I was to get a 1440p monitor what do people recommend? I’d also prefer it mostly to be atleast 144hz. I’m from the UK and I’d prefer it to be as cheap as possible as I’m kind of strapped for cash. 

If any suggestions recommendations or answers could be thrown my way I’d greatly appreciate it! 

57 minutes ago, XxRescueRabbitxX said:

Hi there! 

So I’ve been having a bit of issues with my monitor. It’s a VGA to HDMI input with one of those lil adapters and it seems from what I’ve gathered to be a bad connection as there were green pixels on black/dark spots. (got some help from another post earlier!). Now currently I’m using a HDMI to HDMI tv (which is awful) but there’s no green pixels when I use it so I assume it’s either the adapter or the monitor itself. My old monitors max resolution was 1680 by 1050 I believe so it is kicking on in age. 

So this brings me to my question do I buy a new adapter and use my old monitor if possible. Or go for a new HDMI monitor? My build will have a new 3070 GPU so I could run upto 4K with it. I’d like atleast 1440p however I’ve not exactly got a lot of money. If I was to get a 1440p monitor what do people recommend? I’d also prefer it mostly to be atleast 144hz. I’m from the UK and I’d prefer it to be as cheap as possible as I’m kind of strapped for cash. 

If any suggestions recommendations or answers could be thrown my way I’d greatly appreciate it! 

Id get a new monitor. Makes things much easier when you dont have to fool around with an adapter. Id run 1440p, its cheaper to get in to and it looks in my opinion good enough. Im not from the UK so I really cant recommend anything because Im not sure what pricing looks like. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I say new monitor.  Or even a newer used one. Vga is analog. Vga only monitors ar quite old.  It’s possible you don’t have a adaptor problem and the monitor is just used up.  There are some mitigating factors.  If the old monitor is a CRT. (The ones that ar thicker than they are tall) and you play retro platform games like Mario, the unbelievably low latency of the crt may make a difference for you.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

21 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I say new monitor.  Or even a newer used one. Vga is analog. Vga only monitors ar quite old.  It’s possible you don’t have a adaptor problem and the monitor is just used up.  There are some mitigating factors.  If the old monitor is a CRT. (The ones that ar thicker than they are tall) and you play retro platform games like Mario, the unbelievably low latency of the crt may make a difference for you.

Truth be told I did actually try the adapter just now in different small HD TV. It worked but gave some .. odd results when I loaded a game. But switching back to HDMI fixed it. (I’ll show a pic of this). It kind of chopped my screen up. I’ll show what the old LED monitor did. (It was green pixel stuff)395C4C4E-B4A7-4241-8C79-2846BA202250.thumb.jpeg.caa3fb25d48654f6730615b015d1f4aa.jpeg

it wasn’t a CRT monitor. It was an old LED monitor with just a VGA and power slot. It’s odd that the monitor just started doing this out of nowhere. It was perfectly fine what 2 days ago. 

Do you have any recommendations on 1440p preferably 144hz monitors? That are well cheap but reliable. 

FA01928B-A3BB-41B6-B536-11957900805C.jpeg

Still say a new monitor. You can get a better newer monitor used for less money than an adaptor.  Spend on a new monitor and you can get something much much nicer.  Monitor tach has come a long way.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.