Desk with motor to lift monitors from under desktop

James Pisanich

Does anyone know someone that can build a desk that conceals the monitors down below the desktop and then with a button a motor will lift the monitors up? I seriously will pay to have this made. Here is the youtube video I found but I am not handy enough to do this myself.   

Getting that professionally fabricated might run well north of 1000USD and will be finicky and prone to failure. Is that something you're comfortable with?

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

If I were specing the job I'd budget 3000USD

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

This is the only consumer oriented option I can find:

https://www.autonomous.ai/standing-desks/quartersign-computer-desk-with-hidden-dual-monitor-lift-by-quartersign1644589144

There are a lot more options for desks like this in the education space but they have that computer lab look to match. Seems like custom fabrication is the only option if the above does not work for you. Based on the $2000 price tag above I would agree that $3000 for custom fab sounds right.

Applications like this should first beg the questions like "What is the intended purpose/effect?" and "Is there an alternate method that will be easier/cheaper to implement for similar aim?"

Now if you're just going for flashy, expense be damned, and rationality/purpose are irrelevant, then sure; hire Dean Proffitt to pimp your battlestation.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2022 at 2:37 PM, OddOod said:

Getting that professionally fabricated might run well north of 1000USD and will be finicky and prone to failure. Is that something you're comfortable with?

Yes, I am completely fine with all of that.

On 3/17/2022 at 9:52 PM, IPD said:

Applications like this should first beg the questions like "What is the intended purpose/effect?" and "Is there an alternate method that will be easier/cheaper to implement for similar aim?"

Now if you're just going for flashy, expense be damned, and rationality/purpose are irrelevant, then sure; hire Dean Proffitt to pimp your battlestation.

The use case is this:  I'm converting a bus into an RV. Space is tight so I am going to have my desk next to our bed in our mini bedroom. I dont want the monitors blocking the view of the windows when I am not working. 

On 3/17/2022 at 3:02 PM, pkillboredom said:

This is the only consumer oriented option I can find:

https://www.autonomous.ai/standing-desks/quartersign-computer-desk-with-hidden-dual-monitor-lift-by-quartersign1644589144

There are a lot more options for desks like this in the education space but they have that computer lab look to match. Seems like custom fabrication is the only option if the above does not work for you. Based on the $2000 price tag above I would agree that $3000 for custom fab sounds right.

Thats exactly what Im looking for. Thank you very much. I'm hoping the company doing my bus to RV conversion can make the desk, but if not this will be perfect. Thanks again.

Why not just mount them on a swing arm attached to the ceiling?  That way you can fold them up and out of the way when they aren't in use?

4 minutes ago, IPD said:

Why not just mount them on a swing arm attached to the ceiling?  That way you can fold them up and out of the way when they aren't in use?

Im worried they would fall down during transit since this will be in a bus/rv

15 minutes ago, James Pisanich said:

Im worried they would fall down during transit since this will be in a bus/rv

I've seen plenty of applications like this (although not for monitors) that have been used in campers/RV's.  Just need something with locking arms--or something that has a secure latch to the ceiling for transportation.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2022 at 7:17 PM, James Pisanich said:

Yes, I am completely fine with all of that.

I would look into high end custom furniture shops in your nearest large metro center. Hit the proverbial bricks. You'll need to make a lot of phone calls seeing if any of them have experience with integrating motors and control systems into their work