We Remastered My First Video in 4K! (SPONSORED)

SeanLMG
On 3/17/2022 at 6:14 PM, h91 said:

Upscaling a video shot on film

You don't upscale motion picture film. You scan it.

On 3/18/2022 at 5:16 PM, lansing said:

Their software are some experimental crap. It basically goes like 1 good frame and then 1 bad frame. At the end you'll just ended up with an unusable crap. I don't understand how are people paying $200 for being a genuine pig.

Worst of all, all they did was crappily train the models. Pretty sure the software they based their program on is GAN and it's open source.

This upscale cost me 0$

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2022 at 1:32 AM, dsmanneke said:

I got a realistic face of the Retro young Linus 😄

Just uploaded my version to YouTube. 

linus-4k-youtube copy.jpg

On 4/9/2022 at 1:30 PM, rrats said:

You don't upscale motion picture film. You scan it.

Worst of all, all they did was crappily train the models. Pretty sure the software they based their program on is GAN and it's open source.

This upscale cost me 0$

Animes always look better when they are upscaled than real images or videos. Real objects have more detail, so you will see the difference much faster when they are upscaled or not.

The other problem that especially real videos have to deal with is consistency after upscaling. GAN, waifu2x or similar models/software cannot provide this consistency because they are made with only photos in mind, not video. I see many free opensource image upscale tools, but not particularly specialized for video. GAN is a great tool, but doesn't take into account what it produced in the previous frame. Regardless of the software, if you use the parameters too aggressively, the results are always unnatural.

If you want good results, you need to match your AI and and the way (manner) you want to upscale.

Always think about what the problem is in the video first, regardless of the resolution. What Linus did was not a best practice. What you need to do first with interlaced video is convert it to progressive. Then remove the compression artifacts without upscaling. Keep in mind, comression artifacts are not the same for still images (JPEG,...) and video (H264, H265,...). Then upscale not to 4k but to 720P (max 4x the original size). This is because the AI is less aggressive to add detail. For removing face artifacts, I used a deepfake software in python and used a Linus face of the same age. Then, upscale it to 4K.

Yes Linus did a lot wrong here.

Like was it that hard to find thr original digital video, and not use the crappy YouTube version

2 hours ago, rrats said:

Yes Linus did a lot wrong here.

Like was it that hard to find thr original digital video, and not use the crappy YouTube version

That MiniDV tape was probably erased taped over multiple times more than a decade ago. I doubt they even have the original files from the NCIX days archived anywhere.

https://youtu.be/TpdapO9QGRo?t=276

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Yeah, should have contacted 2kliksphilip before trying the upscaling, would have gotten a much better result in the end.

Here is a playlist for those that are interested in upscaling:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRDhcp_8c7uC_qN0-1hfzd6p70KupiZ5M

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

No, really, man knows absolutely nothing about video prefiltering. Like that time he upscaled "white and nerdy"  he didn't decimate the 30 frames per second video to get one with 24. He went on and interpolated it from there. Deblocking too. Man doesn't know simplest video practices.

On 4/26/2022 at 4:33 PM, rrats said:

That is barely enough smarter than Linus

On 4/26/2022 at 5:29 PM, rrats said:

No, really, man knows absolutely nothing about video prefiltering. Like that time he upscaled "white and nerdy"  he didn't decimate the 30 frames per second video to get one with 24. He went on and interpolated it from there. Deblocking too. Man doesn't know simplest video practices.

Agreed, I watched 2 videos. 2clicksphilip removed the interleasing by lowering the resolution. There are better other ways to do this. In the application virtualdub2, you have several algorithms like yadif, blob and ELA that maintain the original resolution

2klik is just a self proclaimed video expert that knows little to nothing about the video filtering

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...