We Remastered My First Video in 4K! (SPONSORED)

SeanLMG

Thanks to MSI for sponsoring this video! Buy an MSI Creator Z16P Laptop at https://msi.gm/creatorlinus

Learn more about the MSI Creator Z16P Laptop at https://msi.gm/CreatorZ16PLinus

What's the worst that could happen when trying to upscale compressed 240p footage? We're going to remaster our first video and find out!

Check out Topaz Video Enhance AI: https://lmg.gg/OtkN9

Upscaling a video shot on film is far easier than upsampling a digital video. And AI upscaling is an amazing potential application (as seen on game mods too and done well like FF9's Moguri Mod, which used ESRGAN and is available for free as a Python CLI program to play around with), but it does a long way to mature as well.

There are quite a number of open source AI upscaling programs around to use.

YouTube lets you download the original versions of videos you uploaded on Google Takeout (however I don't think LTT has access to the NCIX YouTube channel anyway). Also if you are downloading a video as normal straight from YouTube and need the best quality version, I wouldn't recommend most YouTube downloader websites, as they nearly always only download H.264 versions. VP9 and AV1 are available for your video, and being more modern, those codecs artifact more by blurring than blocking. Also for some reason, on that particular video, YouTube uses a higher bitrate for the VP9 version.

What you downloaded:

image.png.44ebfea136b8f1229bd516449397526e.png

What I would recommend you download with yt-dlp:

image.png.b491620dbac46ec5b25193778ccf8c5f.png

24 minutes ago, ryankrage77 said:

Review of the FW900 when?!

Screenshot 2022-03-17 182412.png

Saw it, and yeah, thought the same thing. For anyone uninformed, it's the holy grail of CRTs. 16:10 aspect ratio, and can manage 1440p at 80hz. ON A CRT. And thanks to being a CRT, perfect response times, deep blacks and OLED like colour reproduction (thanks to the Trinitron tube).

2 hours ago, SeanLMG said:

Thanks to MSI for sponsoring this video! Buy an MSI Creator Z16P Laptop at https://msi.gm/creatorlinus

Learn more about the MSI Creator Z16P Laptop at https://msi.gm/CreatorZ16PLinus

What's the worst that could happen when trying to upscale compressed 240p footage? We're going to remaster our first video and find out!

Check out Topaz Video Enhance AI: https://lmg.gg/OtkN9

I see you are using the MSI Z16P. There is a major flaw with this laptop. I purchased 4 with 3070ti but when running on battery power this 3070TI is slower then the integrated intel iris GPU cause it is keeping the memory running at 810mhz. and pluggin the charger and disconnecting it again even drops the memory speed to 405 mhz most of the times. Also the clock speeds often do not scale and are stuck at 210mhz. 

see also this thread i started but MSI is impossible to contact. can you please test this out also with furmark for example how it operates when running on battery power? I love this laptop but they need to fix this perfomance bug asap.

GPU Performance issues with MSI Creator-Z16P-B12UGST | MSI Global English Forum - Index

Can you please help me to get this issue tested an notified to MSI. im very curious if you dont have this problems. i purchased 4 of these laptops and they all have this issue. And i already installed the latest bios from the msi site.

Hot take - all of these look bad when blown up on a big display (55" OLED in my case). It doesn't matter if it's still or in motion, person or landscape, it all looks off, almost like an uncanny valley. The only good way to do this is carefully with animated content. There are some outlier examples, but watching more than say... a cherry picked 20 second clip shows that... you might as well watch the original 99% of the time instead of these things that just go through what is basically a very impressive, but flawed filter.

Linus... I'm sorry, but c'mon. 10:34 - obvious and jarring flickering movement on the ladder in the "remaster" and you're going to say its "undoubtedly a better viewing experience"?

Im glad im still seeing Harry1010UK comments still on youtube, atleast i know that Portal 2 SFM animator is still alive and kicking.

For the video tho, if it wasnt for the "painting" feeling near the header in the intro there, thats really good quality for upscaling, do note i rarely use/seen it in games or for other videos.

edit:

PAINTINGS COMING TO LIFE

Edited by MultiGamerClub

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

I've seen much better AI upsamples than this first attempt travesty.

The second attempt is rather okay, not great.

Also, I still recommend Core i7-12700H variants of any laptop, including the sponsored MSI laptop which also includes that variant, anything else higher is unnecessary

9:06 doesn't work because the video wasn't uploaded in 60p, so we can't actually see the difference.

Therapist: Upscaled linus isnt real he cant hurt you

Upscaled linus:

image.png.bd7b024c3300d8fbca92d4628c8dae23.png

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

I'm not overly surprised by the results considering an AI creating 108 pixels from each pixel and guessing each one's colour and motion.

The fact it even looks like a face is impressive. Typically when this is done it's in stages with sharpening and cleanup at each step. 240 to 480 then manually clean up the image with filter layers, 480 to 720, 720 to 1080 etc so you don't end up with a smeared mess. The less deviation between steps gives the AI smaller guesses (aim small miss small)

this works the same for motion and frame interpolation, going straight from 30 to 60 is foolish if you have the time or horsepower. Create 1 frame per 3 and you are only scaling 30 to 40 but the motion accuracy is more precise, 40 to 50 and 50 to 60 then give you more accurate steps between frames even if 2 of the 3 frames are guessed changes by the end.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

10 hours ago, Colty said:

Linus... I'm sorry, but c'mon. 10:34 - obvious and jarring flickering movement on the ladder in the "remaster" and you're going to say its "undoubtedly a better viewing experience"?

That's the thing with AI upscaling; the parts it does well, it does really well, which makes the parts it trips over really obvious.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

That's the thing with AI upscaling; the parts it does well, it does really well, which makes the parts it trips over really obvious.

just like linus dropping a cpu....

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Why did you choose CRF 0 (and then wonder why the files are so big) and not ProRes?

When i upscale with Topaz, i always export in ProRes and then make a transparent encode with x264 and a CRF value that is suitable for the content.

Not gonna lie. Upscaled Linus looks like something that belongs in original Silent Hill. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

That looks... just god awful

I thought we were way past those times where 1 hour of process made florida look like north korea

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

Their software are some experimental crap. It basically goes like 1 good frame and then 1 bad frame. At the end you'll just ended up with an unusable crap. I don't understand how are people paying $200 for being a genuine pig.

5 minutes ago, lansing said:

Their software are some experimental crap. It basically goes like 1 good frame and then 1 bad frame. At the end you'll just ended up with an unusable crap. I don't understand how are people paying $200 for being a genuine pig.

Because that experimental tech is cool for people in the industry for years, that one good frame might make someone impressed still…

check your cables!
samsung s10e | android enthusiast | Tech blogger | XC Athlete | Surface pro 4

1 hour ago, lansing said:

When used properly with small change steps it works well, the problems that most people experience is due to big changes all at once rather than the more time intensive small step method. With an AI engine and professional programmers you would expect them to do this automatically as script but it would take much much longer

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

So I use this program. Would not mind tech channel maybe what Hardware is good value to run this. I am currently running this on old game rig at winter.  If their was better comb of hardware other then just buing ultra high-end hardware. Running on 5820k and Gigabyte 1080 extreme(Extreme = water cooling and high base gpu clocks).

On 3/17/2022 at 12:52 PM, HulkGohan said:

I see you are using the MSI Z16P. There is a major flaw with this laptop. I purchased 4 with 3070ti but when running on battery power this 3070TI is slower then the integrated intel iris GPU cause it is keeping the memory running at 810mhz. and pluggin the charger and disconnecting it again even drops the memory speed to 405 mhz most of the times. Also the clock speeds often do not scale and are stuck at 210mhz. 

see also this thread i started but MSI is impossible to contact. can you please test this out also with furmark for example how it operates when running on battery power? I love this laptop but they need to fix this perfomance bug asap.

GPU Performance issues with MSI Creator-Z16P-B12UGST | MSI Global English Forum - Index

Can you please help me to get this issue tested an notified to MSI. im very curious if you dont have this problems. i purchased 4 of these laptops and they all have this issue. And i already installed the latest bios from the msi site.

Hey @HulkGohan, did you just post on the forum, or fill out their support form at https://service.msicomputer.com/msi_user/support/cs_form.aspx/? If you DM me your ticket number of your inquiry, I can ensure support gets back to you if you still haven't heard back!