aRGB / no controller

Go to solution Solved by thrasher_565,
33 minutes ago, Cramig88 said:

Ok I’d love to quote both of ya, cause deff informative.

well aware it mirrors/repeats/splits, hence the static color factor.  Not looking for a pretty rainicorn RGB setup, not my style. Nor do I care about the controllers. Although, yes, alvin is right, that’s why they have controllers so you can split zones to do, whatever. 

anyways, thrasher. I see you have a pin out in your signature.  Mind if I get a attachment of that to print out?  Obv personal use, not commercial etc etc. I hate sucking up sata power when I could just run straight DC/molex instead. I need the sata for my, uh, massive RAID which is growing by the day - now that it’s working lol

speaking of raid, I’m not dumb on that one haha. Nopes, 8 drives as of now, all 1tb. Half are Samsung evos (or qvo’s, whatever’s better I forget), and other are HDD barracudas. So, RAID 10, staggered drives. SSD, HDD, SSD, HDD, and so on. SSD cause it’s “faster” (even bottlenecked via raid/5400rpm) but, the mirror drives are HDDs. You can understand why…

anywho, a pin out would be helpful, extremely!

yay!!!  People do feel my pain!

you mean this?

you can use anything i post or links i posted as alot if not all came from els ware and edit it to add on so.  i wont be held responsible for damages thow.

as for just wanting white just buy a cheap controller that has white. althow i heard mixing red green and blue to make white is not as nice of having white led.

corsair comander rgb strip psu power.jpg

mb argb psu power diagram update v2 4, 23, 2020.jpg

Hey peeps,

so many of u may find this to be a dumb question.

every brand out there has more or less, proprietary RGB lines.  Naturally they go into a controller. Then it sucks up a usb2 header, sata power, plus usually a BS PWM header. Oh, right, typically a aRGB header too (or adapter depending on MOBO).

uh, let’s clean up that mess?  I’ve noticed multiple controllers, different brands, yada yada, all want their *own* app installed. Naturally this creates problems.  NOT knocking any specific brand but, come on. Lian li for example has L connect. iCue, Corsair, aura sync for asus, dragon center for msi.  Uhm, we have all been there, all these apps want to fight for RGB control so they conflict.

ive noticed on a lot of my stuff itll typically come with an an adapter to connect directly to an aRGB header. Sweet!  Well, buns, I only have 2 headers… oh right, get a splitter, pfft.

question is, where can I find the adapter cables from X to aRGB?  Is there one that is used most common across multiple manufacturers?  I’m using a bysksyi (spelling) distro plate, alphacool gpu block, ekwb monoblock, so you can see the problem.

better yet, why can’t I just take some wire strippers and splice on a aRGB?  I notice the ground line (data? Whatever) of the 3 is striped or otherwise obvious.

just wondering, cause I’m sure a lot of other folks out there are sick of having 5 controllers and five individual apps for each brand - all fighting for control. Yes an exaggeration, true none the less.

any ideas?  Possible “rigging” people have done to make RGB “easier”?

thanks everyone!

It all depends on the effects you want to use. If you're only interested in single color, then connecting everything to the mainboard is fine, but most aRGB devices have more complex effects, and for those effects to work, the device controlling the aRGB has to know how the LEDs are positioned. Which is why everything comes with its own controller, because only the Lian Li controller knows how the LEDs are positioned in a Lian Li fan to get nice looking effects, same for corsair, and so on, you get the point. 

if a mb only has 2 argb headers then means only 2 animations / colors can be or 2 loops. well an corsair controller has 6 so each fan can have its own animation or color.

using a splitor just mirrors it.

you can cut and re wire w/e connector your want as long as data gos with data ground with ground and voltage with voltage. and argb can grab power from the psu instead of the header by passing the header limit.

there are other software that clames can sync everything up.

the proprietary connector are there so you have to buy in to an eco system. so spend more moeny.

hooking other things to a corsair controller might not work because there software is designed around there stuff and a set amount of leds per fan. if it can be adjusted then you could buy they wont do that because they want to sell you corsair stuff. there are workaround thow "hacks"

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

6 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

if a mb only has 2 argb headers then means only 2 animations / colors can be or 2 loops. well an corsair controller has 6 so each fan can have its own animation or color.

using a splitor just mirrors it.

you can cut and re wire w/e connector your want as long as data gos with data ground with ground and voltage with voltage. and argb can grab power from the psu instead of the header by passing the header limit.

there are other software that clames can sync everything up.

the proprietary connector are there so you have to buy in to an eco system. so spend more moeny.

hooking other things to a corsair controller might not work because there software is designed around there stuff and a set amount of leds per fan. if it can be adjusted then you could buy they wont do that because they want to sell you corsair stuff. there are workaround thow "hacks"

well aware it mirrors/repeats/splits, hence the static color factor.  Not looking for a pretty rainicorn RGB setup, not my style. Nor do I care about the controllers. Although, yes, alvin is right, that’s why they have controllers so you can split zones to do, whatever. 

anyways, thrasher. I see you have a pin out in your signature.  Mind if I get a attachment of that to print out?  Obv personal use, not commercial etc etc. I hate sucking up sata power when I could just run straight DC/molex instead. I need the sata for my, uh, massive RAID which is growing by the day - now that it’s working lol

speaking of raid, I’m not dumb on that one haha. Nopes, 8 drives as of now, all 1tb. Half are Samsung evos (or qvo’s, whatever’s better I forget), and other are HDD barracudas. So, RAID 10, staggered drives. SSD, HDD, SSD, HDD, and so on. SSD cause it’s “faster” (even bottlenecked via raid/5400rpm) but, the mirror drives are HDDs. You can understand why…

33 minutes ago, Cramig88 said:

you mean this?

you can use anything i post or links i posted as alot if not all came from els ware and edit it to add on so.  i wont be held responsible for damages thow.

as for just wanting white just buy a cheap controller that has white. althow i heard mixing red green and blue to make white is not as nice of having white led.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

26 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

you mean this?

Ironic you say that, my case is a o11xl - white. I just like the offset of static red, esp if the lights are off, keyboards illuminated and such. Far as making white, meh, if I wanted that I’d just buy a buncha Corsair white 120’s.

idk the effects and craziness distract me.

honestly I wouldn’t even have RGB anything if all these cases were glass - which have many custom watercooling plates and stuff

Corsair 120s cause they just use a PWM, not RGB

not advertising just saying

1 hour ago, Cramig88 said:

Ironic you say that, my case is a o11xl - white. I just like the offset of static red, esp if the lights are off, keyboards illuminated and such. Far as making white, meh, if I wanted that I’d just buy a buncha Corsair white 120’s.

idk the effects and craziness distract me.

honestly I wouldn’t even have RGB anything if all these cases were glass - which have many custom watercooling plates and stuff

oh dont no were i got white from... but anyway same idea.

1 hour ago, Cramig88 said:

Corsair 120s cause they just use a PWM, not RGB

not advertising just saying

corsair dose have 120 rgb and 120 argb fans. corsair argb fans use a 4pin argb witch gets confusing.

i dont under stand if you got an xl is there not enough room for the rgb stuff? or you just dont want to spend the moeny? all fans have 2 wires coming out of it even if its rgb or argb. well there are some the do combined them in a single connector like thermal take and others like lian li were the argb gets connected to each other fan to save on cables i guess.

so argb need a controller for data  well rgb is voltage controlled. 

this is the best video i could find on how the data works for argb

rgb is simpler as you got 3 colors red green blue that have ether 3 positive and 1 ground or 3 ground and 1 positive. if you want red you just power the red led. and well mixing the leds to get a another color just like in paint class

1705852802_corairlianlibykskibarrowargbpinoutv5.thumb.jpg.747a7b3547d435b8b62cb6bc31d889d7.jpg

Edited by thrasher_565

On 3/14/2022 at 1:05 AM, thrasher_565 said:

so argb need a controller for data  well rgb is voltage controlled. 

this is the best video i could find on how the data works for argb

rgb is simpler as you got 3 colors red green blue that have ether 3 positive and 1 ground or 3 ground and 1 positive. if you want red you just power the red led. and well mixing the leds to get a another color just like in paint class

1705852802_corairlianlibykskibarrowargbpinoutv5.thumb.jpg.747a7b3547d435b8b62cb6bc31d889d7.jpg

😉

always a means to an end huh?

turns out, UV RGB only likes 12v/3a~

Fine with me!

image.jpg