underclocking for efficency and lite tasks

just wondering what the best numbers are to underclock my 5950x so i can have a silent running system when just doing web browsing and just watching tv

when playing actual games and heavyer task i just wanna set the cpu back to just normal auto just never done manual control if anything im just looking to set the cpu not to boost up to its 4.9 if memory serves me right

In addition to undervolting, if you want to have the ability to let the CPU use less power when doing a specific task, you can use Ryzen Master and turn down the PPT setting for the CPU. This will limit its power draw and thus will keep it cool. Then, when you're back to heavier workloads, just set it back to defaults.

5 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

In addition to undervolting, if you want to have the ability to let the CPU use less power when doing a specific task, you can use Ryzen Master and turn down the PPT setting for the CPU. This will limit its power draw and thus will keep it cool. Then, when you're back to heavier workloads, just set it back to defaults.

so whats a good setting also im having issues with RM were it will not launch and needs a reinstall i came back from a 1week vacation and had to reinstall last night and went to launch again and it had a reinstall again

1 minute ago, Logicjunkie520 said:

so whats a good setting also im having issues with RM were it will not launch and needs a reinstall i came back from a 1week vacation and had to reinstall last night and went to launch again and it had a reinstall again

I'd just copy what the default settings for the 5600X is: PPT 88, TDC 60, EDC 90. That effectively turns your CPU into a 65W part and so should keep your 5950X well in check while still allowing you to do basic tasks without noticing a huge decrease in performance.

Are you launching Ryzen Master from the Start Menu? It sounds like you might accidentally be going to the installer you downloaded. I'd delete the installer from your Downloads folder and then try launching it by finding it in the Start Menu.

7 minutes ago, Logicjunkie520 said:

Dont use ryzen master, most ryzen master settings like ppt, voltages, and whatever else are available in the bios, and will stay at whatever you set them to forever and never reset unless you clear the cmos or change them again. Entering settings into the bios is so much easier than dealing with ryzen master.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10 Home 64-Bit EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

1 minute ago, YoungBlade said:

I'd just copy what the default settings for the 5600X is: PPT 88, TDC 60, EDC 90. That effectively turns your CPU into a 65W part and so should keep your 5950X well in check while still allowing you to do basic tasks without noticing a huge decrease in performance.

Are you launching Ryzen Master from the Start Menu? It sounds like you might accidentally be going to the installer you downloaded. I'd delete the installer from your Downloads folder and then try launching it by finding it in the Start Menu.

im just launching from the desktop shortcut i keep the insaler on an flash drive used to store drivers i use alot in case i need to restet the pc cuss i prefer to keep the pc offline when reseting

2 minutes ago, rippy4500 said:

Dont use ryzen master, most ryzen master settings like ppt, voltages, and whatever else are available in the bios, and will stay at whatever you set them to forever and never reset unless you clear the cmos or change them again. Entering settings into the bios is so much easier than dealing with ryzen master.

Except that the OP wants to change settings between tasks, which would mean you'd have to reboot to change the settings back to defaults. And after you change them to defaults, it would forget the old settings.

2 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Except that the OP wants to change settings between tasks, which would mean you'd have to reboot to change the settings back to defaults. And after you change them to defaults, it would forget the old settings.

im on a nzxt b550 it has profile setting so i planed on actualy setting up a sepertate profile for light mode and most the time i know if im hopping on for games so its not a biggie to boot to bios when turing on for the day

1 minute ago, YoungBlade said:

in my bios theres an option to save a profile, which will save all settings in the bios, and then he could set a different one for high performance, then just load the correct profile depending on what he needs, and on a modern system with a 5950x, restarting the system into the bios takes a couple seconds at most, and if hes having issues like ryzen master uninstalling then i think its a better idea to just do that.

assuming he has a similar profile saving feature in his bios, he didnt specify his motherboard so idk, but if he did have that option it would be much easier than dealing with ryzen master.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10 Home 64-Bit EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

1 minute ago, Logicjunkie520 said:

im on a nzxt b550 it has profile setting so i planed on actualy setting up a sepertate profile for light mode and most the time i know if im hopping on for games so its not a biggie to boot to bios when turing on for the day

If that works for you, that's fine. The PPT, TDC, and EDC settings should be under AMD Overclocking and you'll have to enable PBO, even though you're there to lower them.

The way I use my computer isn't as compartmentalized as "today I'm gaming, tomorrow I will watch YouTube videos" so Ryzen Master would work better for me, but that's one of the great things about computers: you can use it however you want.

1 minute ago, rippy4500 said:

in my bios theres an option to save a profile, which will save all settings in the bios, and then he could set a different one for high performance, then just load the correct profile depending on what he needs, and on a modern system with a 5950x, restarting the system into the bios takes a couple seconds at most, and if hes having issues like ryzen master uninstalling then i think its a better idea to just do that.

assuming he has a similar profile saving feature in his bios, he didnt specify his motherboard so idk, but if he did have that option it would be much easier than dealing with ryzen master.

To me, the idea of having to restart my computer to temporarily change a setting is ridiculous. If I'm playing a game, and then I stop to watch some YouTube videos and answer an email, I don't want to have to reboot the whole computer for that, when the alternative is firing up a program and having the same effect in 3 clicks. I can then undo the process in one click, by hitting reset, and one more click to close Ryzen Master. I don't care how fast your computer is, rebooting will be many times slower than that.

I have a 5900X with an NVMe boot drive. In general, my computer takes about 20 seconds to do a complete reboot from when I click "Restart" to when I can enter my password, assuming no Windows Updates shenanigans, which will take it even longer. If I have to change a profile in the BIOS, not only would I have to manually do that which is going to take a minimum of several seconds - at least as long as using Ryzen Master - but since that would initiate another restart, the whole process would probably take nearly a minute all together. That's not life-ending, scalpel-to-the-eye levels of slow, obviously, but it's completely unnecessary assuming you can get Ryzen Master to work properly.

6 minutes ago, rippy4500 said:

im on a nzxt b550 just got it so its the newwer one i set up 2 profiles in the bios one is just the defualt settings saved but looking thru didnt see any settings for ppt tdc or edc but i found a option for turning on eco mode wich had similar setings described

27 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

To me, the idea of having to restart my computer to temporarily change a setting is ridiculous. If I'm playing a game, and then I stop to watch some YouTube videos and answer an email, I don't want to have to reboot the whole computer for that, when the alternative is firing up a program and having the same effect in 3 clicks. I can then undo the process in one click, by hitting reset, and one more click to close Ryzen Master. I don't care how fast your computer is, rebooting will be many times slower than that.

I have a 5900X with an NVMe boot drive. In general, my computer takes about 20 seconds to do a complete reboot from when I click "Restart" to when I can enter my password, assuming no Windows Updates shenanigans, which will take it even longer. If I have to change a profile in the BIOS, not only would I have to manually do that which is going to take a minimum of several seconds - at least as long as using Ryzen Master - but since that would initiate another restart, the whole process would probably take nearly a minute all together. That's not life-ending, scalpel-to-the-eye levels of slow, obviously, but it's completely unnecessary assuming you can get Ryzen Master to work properly.

Thats why i tend to not care about power efficiency, its not worth the extra effort in my opinion. I just have my 5600x at 4.8ghz with 1.36v and never change it. Draws about 48 watts at idle and about 60-80 while gaming, 100-110 while under a stress test. Temps never go above 70c even under stress tests and its fine for my use. For me, the bios is just more reliable and gives more options than ryzen master. but i understand the point of having higher performance under load, and higher power efficiency while at idle or low loads without having to reboot into the bios. I just need my pc to be fast and reliable, i dont want to deal with buggy software or extra bloatware. But thats just my opinion, you should configure your hardware to what you need and its not my job to say whats better or worse for you.

edit: Turn off auto updates for your pc. go to settings > windows update > advanced options > turn off "restart this device when a restart is required to install an update"

also when shutting down or restarting it should give seperate options to "restart" or "restart and update". I really dont like when people complain about windows update issues when its super easy to fix.

also the speed at your pc restarts depends on your pc, if it takes 20 seconds for you then yeah i can understand thats a little annoying. a 5950x should take less than that.

13 minutes ago, rippy4500 said:

Thats why i tend to not care about power efficiency, its not worth the extra effort in my opinion. I just have my 5600x at 4.8ghz with 1.36v and never change it. Draws about 48 watts at idle and about 60-80 while gaming, 100-110 while under a stress test. Temps never go above 70c even under stress tests and its fine for my use. For me, the bios is just more reliable and gives more options than ryzen master. but i understand the point of having higher performance under load, and higher power efficiency while at idle or low loads without having to reboot into the bios. I just need my pc to be fast and reliable, i dont want to deal with buggy software or extra bloatware. But thats just my opinion, you should configure your hardware to what you need and its not my job to say whats better or worse for you.

edit: Turn off auto updates for your pc. go to settings > windows update > advanced options > turn off "restart this device when a restart is required to install an update"

also when shutting down or restarting it should give seperate options to "restart" or "restart and update". I really dont like when people complain about windows update issues when its super easy to fix.

also the speed at your pc restarts depends on your pc, if it takes 20 seconds for you then yeah i can understand thats a little annoying. a 5950x should take less than that.

i have actualy disabled auto updates due to similar issues with radeon adrenaline

and this cpu is actualy really overkill for me i came from a 3600 i got this for when i do vr streaming with liv cap going started slowing down when i had everything running at once and got a flash deal on stuff so i just said send lol

4 minutes ago, Logicjunkie520 said:

i have actualy disabled auto updates due to similar issues with radeon adrenaline

and this cpu is actualy really overkill for me i came from a 3600 i got this for when i do vr streaming with liv cap going started slowing down when i had everything running at once and got a flash deal on stuff so i just said send lol

if you dont need the extra cores then just disable your cores and set it to 6 or 8 and disable smt. doing both of those things will reduce your power usage by alot, idk how it affects boost speeds.

9 minutes ago, rippy4500 said:

if you dont need the extra cores then just disable your cores and set it to 6 or 8 and disable smt. doing both of those things will reduce your power usage by alot, idk how it affects boost speeds.

before i got that far im going to see how this eco mode profile sits rn im bouncing from 45 to 60 but that nzxt cam reporting it so i dont particular follow it but it runs my kraken cooler so its just sum i have to deal with