Tri channel ram config

Once i get my ghetto loop setup (very soon) so my x5660 can run faster and not a measly 4ghz while overheating to sht, ill have a look at upgrading the rams cause i do wanna daily it and not just leave it be a test bench

I wanna run atleast 2000+ ddr3 on it cause if i can run ddr3 speeds on 775 (upto 1500mhz 3x1 ddr2) then i can run ddr4 speeds on 1366, and im completely fine with 1.5v-1.55v qpi for daily since its 0.4v under what the asus bios allows you to set (setting max usually wont kill anything cause asus lower end bios which is a good thing) and im gonna be clocking uncore 4-4.2g anyways, that also means the ability to run upto 2.05v ddr3 so volt shouldnt be too much of a limiter

Cause im stupid i accidentally only got 1 1gb ram stick instead of 2 1gb ram sticks (at the time i just needed cheap testing sticks so) so def wanna upgrade as soon as possible cause once i run large ffts it just slows to a crawl xD, even using it is slow cause single channel 1gb ram, looking at the ics they are rev f so ofc not good at oc, i was actually expecting hynix bfr but i guess vgen uses samsung too

Now im gonna hunt down 2gb sticks with 1gbit psc x series or 2gb samsung rev d as those seem to be the best dies according to the extremesystems ddr3 ic thread, for now ill start with 2x3 config just to get it running well enough for daily then once i start trying to game or vid edit on it ill get some 4gb dimms with 2gbit rev d or any other decent 2gbit/4gbit dimm, ofc ill get the generic rams just because they are dirt cheap and oc capabiltiy should be good enough even with a meh generic pcb

I do expect atleast 2000mhz but could i expect abit more ram freq? Cause 2000mhz seems to be the lower end of what i can expect out of samsung rev d and psc x ics, though the pcbs on generic rams can really suck, after all my extreem dark ddr2 are higher end ddr2 sticks with good pcbs and decent ics (nanya d die) so no sht it can reach 1500, ive only gotten at most 1480 stable but im working on 1500 stable

Would dual sided dimms affect ocing capability by much? And if it doesnt affect ocing capability that much would it stress the imc more? Cause 1.55v is quite abit on the high end and id rather stick to 1.5v or lower

Not to mention when i actually wanna use the thing for content creation or gaming, would a 4x6 config completely ruin ram oc capabilty? Cause eventually i wanna run 24gb (dont need 48gb), and if it would ruin ram oc capability, would going for dual sided 8x3 config be better? Cause there are also some decent 4gbit ics

I do know these early imcs really suck ass so 2000mhz+ might require a boat load of imc volt, ideally id aim for 2400+ but i think ill settle ~2000mhz w tight timings

Pre IVB IMCs are bad, I would not expect anything past 1600mhz in triple channel. FYI, DDR4 base frequency is 2133, not 2000. Also for future reference, you will less likely to get an answer to a wall of text like this than simple and short question. A paragraph was enough here.

23 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Would dual sided dimms affect ocing capability by much?

Depends on the ram rank.

23 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

would a 4x6 config completely ruin ram oc capabilty?

Depends on the RAMs you use.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

6 minutes ago, Levent said:

Also for future reference, you will less likely to get an answer to a wall of text like this than simple and short question

Guess ill just hide the wall of text in a spoiler

6 minutes ago, Levent said:

Depends on the ram rank.

So im guessing dual rank will ruin ram oc? And how do i tell dual rank vs single rank ram?

7 minutes ago, Levent said:

Depends on the RAMs you use.

Im guessing that it also depends on ram rank + ic cause some ics maybe heavier on the imc compared to others? If so then what ram manufacturer/ram ic is best for garbage imcs like on x58? Cause on ddr4 theres crucial ballistix since its pretty light on the imc and clocks high aswell

Also if i crank my ram speed would that affect uncore overclock?

In todays day and age..... I can't see anything under 12 GB of RAM being at all useful. Even if you end up having to sacrifice a few hundred MHz, I would try and get the system to 24 GB, especially as you say your going to do content creation and gaming. I ran 12 GB on my X58 i7 920 in.... 2009. 16 GB is still "fine", but 12 GB is getting really close to ending up going to SWAP often I would think for most tasks. That is never a fun time.

Just my two cents 🙂

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 hour ago, LIGISTX said:

In todays day and age..... I can't see anything under 12 GB of RAM being at all useful. Even if you end up having to sacrifice a few hundred MHz, I would try and get the system to 24 GB, especially as you say your going to do content creation and gaming. I ran 12 GB on my X58 i7 920 in.... 2009. 16 GB is still "fine", but 12 GB is getting really close to ending up going to SWAP often I would think for most tasks. That is never a fun time.

Just my two cents 🙂

I intend on 6gb for now and once i get into content creation and gaming then ill sell off the 2x3 config and get 24gb (4x6 or 8x3), might even be able to do abit of ripping off cause if i can get it stable at a high speed then maybe ppl would be interested xD  though i may consider going for a 2x4 config so its easier to sell off later

My gpu is only a 9500gt after all so def not much gaming other than screwing around with online io games

You should be able to run 1K no problem with Tri-channel. With more than 6gb though? Not sure. I have seen guys do it, but I had mismatched ram and I think 933 or so was about what I could do with all 6 dimms populated. Yeah it was because of an 8GB kit I had in the mix.. it was shit 🙂

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

4 minutes ago, freeagent said:

You should be able to run 1K no problem with Tri-channel. With more than 6gb though? Not sure. I have seen guys do it, but I had mismatched ram and I think 933 or so was about what I could do with all 6 dimms populated. Yeah it was because of an 8GB kit I had in the mix.. it was shit 🙂

Qpi/imc volt?

How much ram did you have?

Board?

38 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Qpi/imc volt?

How much ram did you have?

Board?

1.39 QPI/VTT

6/10/16GB worked best for me, usually 10.. 6GB to go fast and tight with Hypers, Fast but not as tight with BBSE, and Hypers, BBSE, and I think Hynix for 16GB.

Rampage III Formula

LN2 jumper was enabled for QPI/VTT so there was almost zero sag.

12 minutes ago, freeagent said:

LN2 jumper was enabled for QPI/VTT so there was almost zero sag.

Basically llc for vtt? How much does it usually sag without the jumper? And does a load on the rams like p95 large ffts or any ram benchmark make it sag more? Cause i do intend on running ~1.5v daily since its 0.4v under what the p6x58d bios allows which doesnt let you kill your components even if you set max volt, very close but not quite enough volt for instadeath

I intend on either the psc x chips if i can find 2gb dimms with them or single sided 2gb samsung rev d sticks, would that work fine? Since if i run 1.5v vtt ill be able to push rams to 2v so volt shouldnt be much of an issue

Btw what volt does ddr3 usually die? Cause ddr2 its ~2.9v and ddr4 is ~2v, cause i dont wanna degrade the rams too much by overvolting the crap out of them but ill still run around the max safe volt (0.3v under deathzone) cause too conservative = garbage overclock

It sagged almost as bad as a Gigabyte 😄

I'm not sure why you "intend" on running such a high VTT, just give it what it needs..

My board didn't like PSC, so they got no love from me. 1600 6-8-6 Reapers.

Not sure.. I have nice ram and want to preserve it, not degrade it 🙂

I have 3x2 set of Super Talent Chrome 2000 8-8-8 1.65v. They do 1600 6-6-6-20 1.65v, 1800 7-7-7 1.65v. I didn't really give them much more than that because there was only so much I could do with memory with my X5690. That's why I try to recommend a W series, even though I didn't own one. The thought of memory dividers is nice.. My BBSE does 2133 8-9-8-24 with 1.725v on Z77, and 2000 7-9-7 on X58 but not Z77.. been meaning to look into it more but I am lazy, and sadly I no longer have my X58. I have a 3x2 set of Perfect Storm 2133 9-9-9, and a set of 2x2 Trident X 2133 9-9-9. The Chromes are very flexible, wish I had more of em.

But I am about to retire my last DDR3 system. 3770K, Z77 OC Formula. Good board. Big though.. sits in my Define R4. I probably wont sell it like I did my X58.. still kicking myself. But it was pretty much useless to me, other than I spent nearly a decade using it. Sad face.

5 hours ago, freeagent said:

I'm not sure why you "intend" on running such a high VTT, just give it what it needs..

Just to run high uncore and make sure the rams dont start destabilizing cause after all the imc is trash for all i know

My board didn't like PSC, so they got no love from me. 1600 6-8-6 Reapers.

Welp in that case ill get some samsung rev d 2gbit

That's why I try to recommend a W series, even though I didn't own one. The thought of memory dividers is nice

Basically extra speeds you can set your rams without cranking bclk? Unfortunately in indo theres basically no w series xeons

Btw do w series xeons have better binning than the x series xeons?

I don’t know.. to me it’s a better cpu just because of the dividers. X series aren’t horrible, but the tighter the better with X series because you can’t run sticks too fast. 

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

I don’t know.. to me it’s a better cpu just because of the dividers. X series aren’t horrible, but the tighter the better with X series because you can’t run sticks too fast. 

So the w series have better imc?

Does more imc volt help? Im willing to go upto 1.55v daily if neccesary

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

So the w series have better imc?

Does more imc volt help? Im willing to go upto 1.55v daily if neccesary

My X5690 was able to do 200+ bclk, so hard to say. But you get dividers like you would on a Gulftown, which to me because I have good memory is very appealing. But most people are happy with X series. I was because I could achieve very high core clocks, but I was also bored with it because it was limited. I had a 970 before the x5690 ES, and it was a little more fun to play with, even though I could not achieve the same core clocks.

DDR3? Maybe will start to OC well at 2.1v. Better cool them sticks.

Qpi frequency doesn't bring any performance to the table. So beating on it is useless. You want that uncore as high as it'll go.

7 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

DDR3? Maybe will start to OC well at 2.1v. Better cool them sticks.

Qpi frequency doesn't bring any performance to the table. So beating on it is useless. You want that uncore as high as it'll go.

~4.2g if i run over 1.5v but i cant actually run that without crashing cause garbage cooling so i cant run 4.4g on the cpu

I do have some spare 120mm fans

So 2.1v is max safe for ddr3? Then at what volt does it start to spontaneously die?

Just now, Somerandomtechyboi said:

~4.2g if i run over 1.5v but i cant actually run that without crashing cause garbage cooling so i cant run 4.4g on the cpu

I do have some spare 120mm fans

So 2.1v is max safe for ddr3? Then what volt does it start to spontaneously die?

Well probably start degrading at 2.1v honestly. But that's what I was running.

The cpu matters. The memory controllers are picky as F. 

My 980X for example does not like high frequency 2200mhz and up unless I run cas 10, with an uncore frequency of 4000mhz which that chip tops out at 4300mhz uncore.

Cas 6 at 2000mhz is where you want to be.

I'm not by the rig, but increase PCH and PLL voltages. I don't have numbers off my head for that right now. Need more coffee.

Awesome man, thank you! I don't have mine and it has been a couple of years since I ran it last, hard to get into that kind of detail 🙂

6 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I'm not by the rig, but increase PCH and PLL voltages

I just set 1.3 and thats fine for my bclk ocing, does it need to be raised much for ram oc?

And pll volt wise ive mostly seen ppl running 1.9v but idk if theres much benifit to it

Just now, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I just set 1.3 and thats fine for my bclk ocing, does it need to be raised much for ram oc?

And pll volt wise ive mostly seen ppl running 1.9v but idk if theres much benifit to it

Tough to say. My 980 vs 980x are completely different overclockers. Even being similar chips. My 920 and 930 don't oc nearly as well. Haven't done much with Xeon, there's a lot of memory dividers missing which means you must have uncore 1:1 for stability.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

there's a lot of memory dividers missing which means you must have uncore 1:1 for stability.

So uncore needs to be the same speed as cpu clockspeed? But if i set uncore to the cpu core speed its faster by 10mhz compared to the cpu core, would that destabilize it? 

22 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

So uncore needs to be the same speed as cpu clockspeed? But if i set uncore to the cpu core speed its faster by 10mhz compared to the cpu core, would that destabilize it? 

Probably not. Should be ok.

You just have to tweak and test throughly with 1366 processors. They all seem unique in their own ways. Some Xeons clock really well and some don't, even of the same part number.

These are the platforms that "cherry picked" came from.