Video Capture Card Recommendations (technically, it's storage, right?)

An0maly_76

So, I'm considering a capture card for my new build...

I wound up returning some parts I wound up not needing and have been thinking about a video capture card for gaming, as OBS is REALLY starting to **** me off.

Here's the rub... I bought a PCIe riser card to add some 3.2 Gen 2 ports. I was expecting this card to fit in one of the shorter slots, but it does not, taking the one longer slot I have.

image.png.a2c52b24d50507fdc1a47d6af3d9ba29.png

Just looked at some capture cards and noticed they are not going to fit on the shorter slots, either... What to do?

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

may i ask why obs is annoying you?

check your cables!
samsung s10e | android enthusiast | Tech blogger | XC Athlete | Surface pro 4

30 minutes ago, Kazooduck said:

may i ask why obs is annoying you?

On the old rig (GTX1650S / R7-1700 / 2x16 DDR4-3200), it was crap quality and lag / choppiness, as well as conflicting resolutions that sometimes showed 25% of the video across the whole screen, or the whole video tucked into 25% of the screen. Got that setup where I could record movies in 4K, but it occasionally lagged and still had some of that choppiness on occasion. Gameplay recording was mostly ruined by VSync, but even disabling that didn't get it 100% right.

With this new build (RTX3060ti 8GB OC / R9-5900X / 2x16 DDR4-3200), first it was crappy quality (lots of ghosting and pixelation /blotchiness), now it just doesn't seem to be giving me the same size file with the same quality as the old rig. Example -- a 2 hr movie took around 2.5 GB on the old rig. That same recording time is now demanding 17, 38, or even 48 GB. And this brings to mind another question I wanted to ask in another thread. Would an RTX3060ti generate any bigger of a file from the same source just because of its superiority to the GTX1650S?

29 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Can you list exactly what cards you bought, both this "PCIe riser card" and the capture card? 

Have not purchased a capture card yet, still looking and noted the issue with slot length availability. Here is the USB expansion card I bought...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0953P5K97/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sorry if referring to it as a PCIe riser card was incorrect, I see that term thrown around a lot and honestly hail from the prehistoric days of command-prompt MS-DOS and 8-bit / 16-color Sierra On-Line gaming....

So first, is such an USB 3.2 Gen 2 card available with a shorter card edge for the shorter slot? And if not, is a video capture card available with a shorter card edge for such a slot?

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

No answers yet? I may have found a solution. My Asus Tuf B550-plus board supports Thunderbolt, I presume only an expansion slot cover rail with TB port is needed. And I found THIS. The card version appears too long for my remaining slots, but there are Thunderbolt and USB 3.1 versions also.

Anyone who has experience with USB-based video capture?

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!