Are these temps okay?

An0maly_76

Just swapped my backups into my new 5900X rig and fired it up... These temps look okay for the most part, but a few look high and one fan I'm not even aware existed shows 65,000 rpm... Should I be worried?

Cooling setup -- Corsair 4000X case, three LL120 fans front, two LL120 fans top, one LL120 rear, Scythe Mugen 5 air-cooler

image.thumb.png.ab0b029ec085a402249746aa82063254.png

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

super high RPMs are often a error from using a splitter with 2 3rd-pins/RPM wires.

As for ur topic question:

We cant know cuz ur system was not under load

4 hours ago, NorKris said:

super high RPMs are often a error from using a splitter with 2 3rd-pins/RPM wires.

As for ur topic question:

We cant know cuz ur system was not under load

The odd thing is that I'm running a Scythe Mugen 5 with a keyed 3-pin  connector that required no adapters. *shrugs*

As for system load, quite true. Just finished the build and still installing apps and such. UPDATE: 76C (168.8F) peak running American Truck Simulator at about 350-500 fps (250-350 fps recording) with 85-95% detail, approximately 40C drop across the CPU cooler (thermal probed). By way of comparison, I see around 39-42C idling, with about 10C drop across the cooler. AMD states the 5800(X), 5900(X), and 5950(X) are all safe to 90C under full load, rating the 5600(X) as safe to 95C.

Of course, I also found a potentially very good reason to feel very stupid. I was not aware (and apparently had not yet said the magic words to Google to find out) that V-Sync kills your FPS by capping it to smooth video output. Most of the reason I built this system because the rig I've been using (R7-1700 with GTX1650S 4GB OC) would never top 60 FPS when playing games, even though others said they were seeing 100-200 FPS or more from those cards. Having bought the card on sale from NewEgg, I presumed I was one of those poor unfortunates that got scammed with a counterfeit card, even though it GPUTech doesn't identify it as fake.

I know for a fact that VSync was turned on with my games on the previous rig by default, but I had no idea what it actually did (I hail from the pre-Windows days of command-prompt MS-DOS, so today's hardware is uncharted waters for me), so now I feel very stupid for spending what I've spent to build this rig, because initially, it did the same thing and had even worse problems trying to record video with OBS. I worked through the quality problems, then started trying to figure out why I wasn't seeing any more FPS from an RTX3060ti than I saw from a GTX1650S. And then I said the magic words to Google apparently, because I found an article that explained how VSync caps FPS at 60 to stabilize video...

Roll the video...

So now that I know that VSync was capping my FPS, did I just waste nearly $3k building a new system to solve what I thought was a hardware problem, but could very well have been a settings issue? GOD, I HOPE not. I'm almost afraid to set up the previous rig and disable VSync to find out. 🙄

UPDATE: Tested my theory with the old rig. It drastically improved the FPS, but, uh, YEAH. That GTX1650S was never going to have enough FPS to record live video smoothly, at least not with ATS.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

So, I dug into the Asus Armory Crate, and found it tells a slightly different story than the iCUE software.

I also found an article claiming that AMD is on the record saying that the 5600(X) is safe to 95C at full load, the 5800(X) / 5900(X) / 5950(X) are safe to 90C at full load.

The iCUE Commander has a neat little feature that controls fan RGBs by temperature, so once I figured out how to change the setpoints, I set it for blue, yellow, red, at with 66, 77 and 88 degree setpoints respectively. Apparently with the fans at 85% speed, the idle temp stays in the 30s (sometimes as low as 31C), and apparently keeps the load temp below 66, because they haven't changed color, even running American Truck Simulator. GPU is actually running warmer than the CPU, but is still within limits as far as I can tell. Still a small amount of tinkering to do, but I believe I have my cooling system dialed in. Check it out...

https://linustechtips.com/uploads/monthly_2022_03/image.png.0864523008e90e0cd8303522aa4e191a.png

image.thumb.png.5d9de73ee0c28a961a226bfa61bb8b82.png

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

I think I've pretty well got it dialed in...

CPU Cooler fan set to full speed

Custom iCUE fan curve, ramping from 70% to 100% from 30C-80C

Custom iCUE RGB control by temp: 0-66C Blue / 67-87 Yellow / 88+ Red

Result: GPU hasn't topped 68C, CPU idles between 31C-39C (package temp 40C-46C) and apparently doesn't top 66C -- fans stay blue even running ATS at fairly high resolution with moderately high detail, the fan RGBs stay blue with this configuration.

817445482_5900TempsIdleLoadandPeak.png.a0fb3ee98520ad129fa809a450602218.png

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!