advice on what NAS synology/qnap to buy for a plexserver

HI everyone just wanting some advice on what synology or qnap system would be suitable for my needs. I will only be using it for a PLEX server for tv shows and movies. I currently have 4 mechanical drives all adding up to about 30TB, so I want something that is diskless and so I can just put the HDDs into. Preferably something that is available at websites below and under 1300AUD.

https://computers.scorptec.com.au/

https://www.mwave.com.au/

I currently have it all in a separate windows 10 OS PC and for the past few years just been having nothing but power supply issues with it. At the moment all the drives are throwing errors when using windows 10 tools to scan for errors, but they seem to be running fine except for one drive when I drag files out of it to another drive it is extremely slow but when copying files from another drive to the drive with issues it is fine and fast. This has happened before in the past and replugging the sata cables seem to fix the issue but lately its just reoccurring more often then usual and is starting to get annoying. I'm suspecting a power supply issue(it is a cheap thermaltake psu) I've gone through maybe 2 power supplies not including my current one for this particular plex server in the past 4 years or so... getting fed up with this so was thinking of maybe just purchasing a NAS which I do not have any experience with but is much more reliable right?

Please advise.

EDIT: thinking about at least a 5 or 6 bay NAS

You've got a lot going on there.  First: What NAS do I recommend;  I use FroeeNAS/TrueNAS.  It is pretty great because it works on almost any hardware.  You can convert your old rig into a NAS server or buy new equipment to do so.  But your aversion to building your own is understandable with the high foil rote you've had.  

Secondly, regarding your HDDs hiving troubles:  It could be a number of things beyond your power supply.  That "works fine for copy but is slow for cut" sounds like the disk is having trouble WRITING... as in writing the blanks to the MFT.  There are numerous testers, but I like Atto disk benchmark for quick tests,

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

Well, I looked up on the websites you mentioned and there is no much choice. 

The only one I'd consider in that price range is this one https://www.mwave.com.au/product/synology-diskstation-ds1520-5bay-diskless-nas-celeron-quad-core-20ghz-8gb-ac37541

If it was up to me, I'd build NAS instead of buying this one because it only has 1Gbps ethernet port. The rest of servers on these websites are coming mostly with 2GB RAM. 

For that much money I'm sure you could build a pretty good NAS. Check video from LTT (They recently posted about building your own NAS).

What PSU do you use / have used before?

2 minutes ago, shoutingsteve said:

You've got a lot going on there.  First: What NAS do I recommend;  I use FroeeNAS/TrueNAS.  It is pretty great because it works on almost any hardware.  You can convert your old rig into a NAS server or buy new equipment to do so.  But your aversion to building your own is understandable with the high foil rote you've had.  

Secondly, regarding your HDDs hiving troubles:  It could be a number of things beyond your power supply.  That "works fine for copy but is slow for cut" sounds like the disk is having trouble WRITING... as in writing the blanks to the MFT.  There are numerous testers, but I like Atto disk benchmark for quick tests,

just opened up the plexserver pc.. unplugged all cables, plugged them back in and its fine now... MIght be a cable issue.

4 minutes ago, uzivkovic97 said:

Well, I looked up on the websites you mentioned and there is no much choice. 

The only one I'd consider in that price range is this one https://www.mwave.com.au/product/synology-diskstation-ds1520-5bay-diskless-nas-celeron-quad-core-20ghz-8gb-ac37541

If it was up to me, I'd build NAS instead of buying this one because it only has 1Gbps ethernet port. The rest of servers on these websites are coming mostly with 2GB RAM. 

For that much money I'm sure you could build a pretty good NAS. Check video from LTT (They recently posted about building your own NAS).

What PSU do you use / have used before?

I'll be using it mainly for plex watching has to be able to hold 4k content as well. I dont plan on watching any of the content remotely all locally with direct play.. will this nas you recommended stil be good enough?

6 minutes ago, tuunade98 said:

just opened up the plexserver pc.. unplugged all cables, plugged them back in and its fine now... MIght be a cable issue.

You could try changing SATA cables.

3 minutes ago, tuunade98 said:

I'll be using it mainly for plex watching has to be able to hold 4k content as well. I dont plan on watching any of the content remotely all locally with direct play.. will this nas you recommended stil be good enough?

I think this CPU should be capable of streaming 4k content, but wait for someone else to confirm.

Just now, uzivkovic97 said:

You could try changing SATA cables.

I think this CPU should be capable of streaming (or whatever the term is, Eng is not my native lang 😄 ) 4k content, but wait for someone else to confirm.