Cannot access UEFI

mwagen

I'm running Windows 10 and I can't access the UEFI, either by hitting DEL on bootup or through the "Advanced Startup" option. I also don't get the typical motherboard info that flashes on screen during bootup anymore. This all started after I set up the Windows Hello thing which required me to make a PIN to login to my PC, definitely wishing I had not done that because I don't need that much security for my PC. I got rid of that but not being allowed to access the UEFI has persisted. I'd be eternally grateful if somebody could help me fix this.

Maybe try unplugging the boot drive, and forcing it to go into the bios? What type of motherboard are you running, because you could also try to spam f10

3 minutes ago, Allan B said:

It could also be "F2"

Why can’t there just be a standard button for accessing the bios. And I also think there should be some delay added in to allow the users time to access it. Some machines go through the process very quickly

31 minutes ago, fiddleslessless said:

Maybe try unplugging the boot drive, and forcing it to go into the bios? What type of motherboard are you running, because you could also try to spam f10

Motherboard is a MSi b560. Mashing f10 and f2 didn't work, and it's annoying because since setting up Windows Hello it's like there's a security setting I can't find which is blocking the PC from posting anything until the Windows login screen. I'm thinking about just backing up my important files and upgrading to Windows 11 and maybe that will reset everything? Or just wiping the drive and doing a clean install. I just hate dealing with hard drive crap, gives me major anxiety about bricking it and losing stuff.

Try disabling fast startup. You can find it in the Power Plan control panel settings. 

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1045548 (ignore it being asus.com, it applies to all Windows 10 computers)

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

Either reset the CMOS, which resets your UEFI options and should allow you to press del/f2 at boot... or in windows go to recovery options, and IIRC advanced start up should allow you to just go into uefi next boot.

[edit] Yes, also do as @LloydLynxsaid and turn off fast boot  (when you enabled it beforehand, it should have said in the warnings that you wouldn't be able to press del to get into bios if enabling fast boot)

You can also set the amount of time for the boot screen to display... I have mine set at like 2 seconds which is enough for me to press [del] for UEFI or [f11] for one time boot options.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

37 minutes ago, LloydLynx said:

Try disabling fast startup. You can find it in the Power Plan control panel settings. 

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1045548 (ignore it being asus.com, it applies to all Windows 10 computers)

Tried this and still have the same problem. 

Maybe I should have clarified that I don't get any kind of boot screen, monitor gets no signal until it posts straight to the Windows sign in. If I hit DEL on bootup or use the Advanced Restart feature then it doesn't post, no signal to my monitor even though the PC is powered on, only thing I can do then is hit the power/reset button. A weird thing is that if I try rebooting to the UEFI with the advanced restart option my speakers will make a faint crackle noise for a second. Starting to wonder if it's a gpu issue that is preventing it from posting the boot screen or UEFI, still annoying that this only started happening after the Windows Hello crap and it's driving me nuts.