WD RED PLUS 8TB Replacement

uzivkovic97

Hi everyone. 

I've bought used HDD on a website in my country (Serbia) from some guy and he scammed me. 
He listed this HDD as a good hard drive, posted some screenshots from HD Sentinel but obviously the drive that he showed on hd sentinel isn't this one because as soon as I connected it, it gave me an "Cyclic data redundancy check" error. 
I can't initialize HDD, nor do anything with it. 

I can't get in touch with this guy because I can't see his acc anymore so he probably blocked me.

Cops here won't mess around to find a guy, so only option I have left is to try and replace it.

I contacted WD and explained everything because it appears on their website that HDD has valid warranty due to April 2024. I told them that I bought used device and that I don't have any proof of purchase. 

They told me that I can create RMA without the proof of purchase, but I will have to have the purchase date of the device. 

How could I tell the date of purchase if I didn't buy it new? 😄

Is there any chance for me getting my HDD replaced or not?

If he's still doing the scamming, use another account and contact again as a buyer. You know the rest

6 minutes ago, lafrente said:

If he's still doing the scamming, use another account and contact again as a buyer. You know the rest

What should I do then after I contact him from another acc?
Police here ain't going to do anything, because here one must be scammed for over $150 in order for them to do sth. I bought HDD for $100 😄

If I try to argue with him, that's not gonna be any good for both of us. I already gave up on him returning the money. 

I just want to know if there is any chance getting my HDD replaced without date of purchase since I have no idea when he bought it.

If there is none, I guess I'm gonna buy another one, but this time I'll go and pick it up myself and bring laptop and external HDD case to test it first 🤣

1 minute ago, uzivkovic97 said:

What should I do then after I contact him from another acc?
Police here ain't going to do anything, because here one must be scammed for over $150 in order for them to do sth. I bought HDD for $100 😄

If I try to argue with him, that's not gonna be any good for both of us. I already gave up on him returning the money. 

I just want to know if there is any chance getting my HDD replaced without date of purchase since I have no idea when he bought it.

If there is none, I guess I'm gonna buy another one, but this time I'll go and pick it up myself and bring laptop and external HDD case to test it first 🤣

If you're not gonna confront, least you can do is contact again and ask for proof of purchase date. As WD is still gonna ask for some kind of receipt. They are not gonna just accept word of mouth. Even then the cause of the issue shouldn't be an user error as you know.

Or maybe you can pay to get it repaired by WD.  

3 minutes ago, lafrente said:

If you're not gonna confront, least you can do is contact again and ask for proof of purchase date. As WD is still gonna ask for some kind of receipt. They are not gonna just accept word of mouth. Even then the cause of the issue shouldn't be an user error as you know.

Or maybe you can pay to get it repaired by WD.  

I'll try to ask for purchase date if he wants to answer after I tell him who I am 😄
If he doesn't want to reply, is there any other option for discovering purchase date?

WD already told me that proof of purchase is not obligatory, but only the date of purchase

I just need to know the date when HDD is bought so I can enter it and create RMA.

WD.JPG

10 minutes ago, uzivkovic97 said:

I'll try to ask for purchase date if he wants to answer after I tell him who I am 😄
If he doesn't want to reply, is there any other option for discovering purchase date?

WD already told me that proof of purchase is not obligatory, but only the date of purchase

I just need to know the date when HDD is bought so I can enter it and create RMA.

WD.JPG

Yeah but then how are you gonna prove the date without a receipt.

If they dont ask for receipt you can just make up a date.

24 minutes ago, lafrente said:

Yeah but then how are you gonna prove the date without a receipt.

If they dont ask for receipt you can just make up a date.

I guess I could come up with a random date like some April of 2021 cuz my warranty is valid until April of 2024 but I want to be honest, and not lie to people like that guy did to me.