How do i switch SSD as boot drive and keep my software on my hard drive?

TheJ

Ok so i know this may sound weird, but,  i have a hard drive with nearly 1TB of storage on it, and more recently i have added an SSD with 500gb. i am currently wondering if there is any possible way to use the SSD as boot drive without moving my entire hard drive contents to the ssd, since it will not fit.

3 minutes ago, RookieAtPcBuilding said:

Ok so i know this may sound weird, but,  i have a hard drive with nearly 1TB of storage on it, and more recently i have added an SSD with 500gb. i am currently wondering if there is any possible way to use the SSD as boot drive without moving my entire hard drive contents to the ssd, since it will not fit.

Change the boot flags.  Windows has leftovers of much earlier systems in it and one is a drive partition has to be flagged correctly to be bootable.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Change the boot flags.  Windows has leftovers of much earlier systems in it and one is a drive partition has to be flagged correctly to be bootable.

i don't understand... could you put it in simpler terms pls?

Just now, Robchil said:

install windows on the 500gb disk .. 

if i download windows on the 500gb ssd, will i still be able to use the stuff on my hard drive?

The best way to do this is to back up your data on a usb flash drive or external HDD (documents, pictures, music, videos, bookmarks, etc.). Then reformat and reinstall Windows on the SSD (custom install -> delete all partitions on all drives) using a USB flash drive. After reformatting/reinstalling Windows, you can then install your software on the SSD (make sure you also download necessary drivers for your motherboard and gpu), and put your backed up data on the SSD and HDD. If you're talking about games, you will have to redownload them, as well. Make sure you back up those saves though too (Steam userdata, etc.).

You can get your windows key using a script, and write it down somewhere just in case. Windows 10 should have your key linked to your e-mail account (if you use the microsoft store, microsoft office, etc.) that's associated with your current login, but it's good to have a backup of that as well.

Use Method 2

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

1 hour ago, RookieAtPcBuilding said:

i don't understand... could you put it in simpler terms pls?

Unfortunately I don’t know how myself I know some theory but which buttons to press I do not know.  Luckily there is google.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.