Message "Someone is currently typing"

Avocado Diaboli

Alright, so I've looked up previous similar suggestions via the search function and found these topics from 2016 and 2018 respectively, so I guess 4 years is enough of a distance to bring it up again:

A few of the replies in those threads mention that the forum used to report who is looking at any given thread. At least I think this is a deprecated feature, because I can't see it being true as of right now unless I've just ignored that somehow until now.

Now my suggestion isn't to list out the names of people writing a reply, it doesn't matter who is writing. I'd suggest just a little bubble, akin to the notification that a reply has been added to a thread I'm currently looking at, that shows that someone is currently writing a reply. 

The reason being is that I tend to spot a few errors I make after submitting a post, so I go back and edit it without specifically marking that it has been edited unless it's a major addition that significantly alters the meaning of what I'm trying to communicate.

However there is a temporal overlap between me editing my post and someone else writing their reply, potentially to my post with quotes. For consistency's sake I'd find it useful to see if someone started writing a reply so I could just either abandon the edit altogether or mark the post as having been edited. 

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

Not developer by any sense of the word. But the reason why "currently viewing" was removed was the extra resources it was taking. So benefits from it vs load times of threads weren't really matching. I can only imagine something actively and with very short intervals pinging each client on forum to see if they have text box active or not, would be very taxing to server too. Vs just pinging bit longer intervals to see if member is on the page or not.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv