Switching a lot of parts - what about my boot drive?

JohanKjeldahl7

Hey everyone.

Hope New builds and planning is the correct section.

I will soon switch: Motherboard, RAM, GPU from my current PC. 

I have never done this before

What do I need to look out for in terms of the "new" build still booting from my boot drive as I will install 3 drives. Will a new motherboard automatically just boot into BIOS the first time? Do I just select my boot drive here?

But now, fellow gamers, that was it for me. Please keep in mind, that this is just my personal opionion and I am no expert. Your system shall be cooled forever, see you next time.

Are you staying in the ecosystem? Like Intel to Intel or AMD to AMD? If so, you're probably fine outside of any motherboard BIOS changes you may have made(those would need to be changed again on the new motherboard).

Personally, I've never had any issues with just keeping the same OS install on whatever medium I have it installed on.

You may have to select which drive to boot from, but most systems auto-detect an OS install regardless of the OS.

1 minute ago, KhakiHat said:

Are you staying in the ecosystem? Like Intel to Intel or AMD to AMD? If so, you're probably fine outside of any motherboard BIOS changes you may have made(those would need to be changed again on the new motherboard).

Personally, I've never had any issues with just keeping the same OS install on whatever medium I have it installed on.

You may have to select which drive to boot from, but most systems auto-detect an OS install regardless of the OS.

I will stay in intel, but I will change from a cheap motherboard from a pre built PC to a high quality board, perhaps ASUS or MSI. My current BIOS are these old classic blue and gray only bios and I can't even find XMP from intel in it, so I am very sceptical when it comes to my motherboards bios...

But now, fellow gamers, that was it for me. Please keep in mind, that this is just my personal opionion and I am no expert. Your system shall be cooled forever, see you next time.

5 minutes ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

I will stay in intel, but I will change from a cheap motherboard from a pre built PC to a high quality board, perhaps ASUS or MSI. My current BIOS are these old classic blue and gray only bios and I can't even find XMP from intel in it, so I am very sceptical when it comes to my motherboards bios...

Dealing with the bios is incredibly easy, as long as you aren't trying to remove or update firmware within the bios itself. Usually even a quick YouTube search will give you a well rounded enough answer to work your way into figuring it out. An example being "MSI XMP bios settings" or ASUS XMP bios settings" and chances are you'll get a whole list of videos to skim over.

Just now, KhakiHat said:

Dealing with the bios is incredibly easy, as long as you aren't trying to remove or update firmware within the bios itself. Usually even a quick YouTube search will give you a well rounded enough answer to work your way into figuring it out. An example being "MSI XMP bios settings" or ASUS XMP bios settings" and chances are you'll get a whole list of videos to skim over.

Alright, nothing stopping me from upgrading now 🙂 Can't wait to finally activate XMP with proper Motherboard - RAM combo.

Thank you!

1 minute ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

Alright, nothing stopping me from upgrading now 🙂 Can't wait to finally activate XMP with proper Motherboard - RAM combo.

Thank you!

No problem, happy building

Just now, KhakiHat said:

No problem, happy building

Thanks 🙂

35 minutes ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

What do I need to look out for in terms of the "new" build still booting from my boot drive as I will install 3 drives. Will a new motherboard automatically just boot into BIOS the first time? Do I just select my boot drive here?

You can do that, but it is recommended to do a fresh install of windows if you change out the mobo. The drivers for each mobo are slightly different and might cause some issues.

The mobo should still recognize the boot drive on install if you're going to try it out. I don't think you need to go into bios to select boot drive

Just now, Jonathan Lee said:

You can do that, but it is recommended to do a fresh install of windows if you change out the mobo. The drivers for each mobo are slightly different and might cause some issues.

The mobo should still recognize the boot drive on install if you're going to try it out. I don't think you need to go into bios to select boot drive

Ah - drivers reminds me of another question: If I switch GPU too during this process (GTX 1060 to RTX 3060/3070). Will I have problems due to the Nvidia game ready driver not being updated?

I might upgrade to Windows 11 with my hardware update - would that count as a full refresh?

8 minutes ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

Ah - drivers reminds me of another question: If I switch GPU too during this process (GTX 1060 to RTX 3060/3070). Will I have problems due to the Nvidia game ready driver not being updated?

I might upgrade to Windows 11 with my hardware update - would that count as a full refresh?

Going from Nvidia to Nvidia should be fine. Geforce experience should detect the change in GPU and download the appropriate drivers. Alternatively, before installing the new gpu, you can use DDU to wipe the current GPU drivers (make sure to do in safe mode). Then install new gpu and go to Nvidia's website and install the drivers.

Just now, Jonathan Lee said:

Going from Nvidia to Nvidia should be fine. Geforce experience should detect the change in GPU and download the appropriate drivers. Alternatively, before installing the new gpu, you can use DDU to wipe the current GPU drivers (make sure to do in safe mode). Then install new gpu and go to Nvidia's website and install the drivers.

Thank you! I will do that.

Initially I would only attach the system drive. Once you've booted and configured the new system, new drives are easily added.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 minute ago, brob said:

Initially I would only attach the system drive. Once you've booted and configured the new system, new drives are easily added.

That's also a way to it, not a bad idea. Thanks!