Limited Download Speeds. Hardware or Stupidity?

FordRaptorXLT

Built my first pc and everything runs great except for the download speeds. running speed tests it looks normal but when it comes to downloading things off steam or other major game stores it limits out at 11mbps in the download managers. i have 100mbs internet and an upgraded router with a cat 5e cable. confused as to weather its my hardware or if its normal? Im also downloading everything straight to my m.2 drive

Router: Asus Ac5300

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X470-F

M.2 Drive: WD SN750 1TB

3 minutes ago, FordRaptorXLT said:

Built my first pc and everything runs great except for the download speeds. running speed tests it looks normal but when it comes to downloading things off steam or other major game stores it limits out at 11mbps in the download managers. i have 100mbs internet and an upgraded router with a cat 5e cable. confused as to weather its my hardware or if its normal? Im also downloading everything straight to my m.2 drive

Router: Asus Ac5300

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X470-F

M.2 Drive: WD SN750 1TB

Are your games downloading at 11 megabytes per second? That is perfectly normal for a connection of 100 megaBIT/sec. Steam shows the download speeds in megabytes/s amd network speeds are in megabit/s. 8 megabit/s equals 1 megabyte/s

Edited by DreamCat04

100 megabits  means 12.5 MB/s maximum network transfer speed.  

If you download with 11 MB/s in Steam, you're downloading at nearly maximum speed and it's normal to have some overhead, 11.8-12MB/s max is expected.

Cat5e cables are capable of 1 gbps so it's not a cable problem.

If you actually mean megabits  as in 11 megabits or around 1.5 MB/s  then I would look at what region/country you have configured in Steam (or try changing it, as sometimes you ISP has bad connections or very busy, overloaded connections to some regions, and you may get faster speeds from other regions)

If you're using wireless, see at what connection speed is your wireless card connecting to your wireless router - for example, if the wireless card can only connect at 54 mbps and you have a poor signal, then 11 mbps download speed is not unheard of.