TrueNAS Core User Permission

Misinthe

Hello everyone, I am very new to TrueNAS, I created my Pool and my SMB shares, then I went on my computer and added the share as a Network drive, I selected the "Connect using different credentials" and I used the TrueNAS user I created to sign in. Now, when I try to move or edit files in the SMB Share, I get a "You require permitions from XXXX to make changes to this file" error. Anyone has any idea how I can get this to work? Thank you everyone!

Hey! 

Mods forgive me, but I'm going to suggest a link to a different forum as the Truenas community will be better versed to answer this fully. 

Their forums can be found here: https://www.truenas.com/community/

Truenas permissions are a pain. I recommend starting by making sure your user folder is the owner of the root of the share. Easiest way to do this is setting your user's home directory as the share. So if your pool name is "Vault" and your shares name is "Share", set your home folder to mnt/Vault/Share. 

If you have SSH set up with your user, you can also SSH into your truenas box as your user, then run "ls -al" to see the permissions of all the objects there to see if you set it correctly.

Hopefully this helps, but search the truenas forum if that doesn't resolve it as they have a more definitive guide. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Make sure the user you created has write and delete permissions for the share. I think permissions are read-only by default.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

On 2/27/2022 at 10:46 PM, BrinkGG said:

Hey! 

Mods forgive me, but I'm going to suggest a link to a different forum as the Truenas community will be better versed to answer this fully. 

Their forums can be found here: https://www.truenas.com/community/

Truenas permissions are a pain. I recommend starting by making sure your user folder is the owner of the root of the share. Easiest way to do this is setting your user's home directory as the share. So if your pool name is "Vault" and your shares name is "Share", set your home folder to mnt/Vault/Share. 

If you have SSH set up with your user, you can also SSH into your truenas box as your user, then run "ls -al" to see the permissions of all the objects there to see if you set it correctly.

Hopefully this helps, but search the truenas forum if that doesn't resolve it as they have a more definitive guide. 

I have asked the TrueNAS forums, 6 days without a comment there, that place is dead.

This is how I have the permissions set for the Media Access user. It's weird that it lets me put files in but it does not let me edit or remove them.

image.png.5f89e2a985c2eefa59922de7b8b61d83.png

On 2/28/2022 at 10:32 AM, Needfuldoer said:

Make sure the user you created has write and delete permissions for the share. I think permissions are read-only by default.

Please see picture above.