Top fans?

ArcticApe

Hello!

I've been hearing a lot about selecting a top fan (fan in the top/ceiling of the case) isnt as simple as just picking whatever. Something about one type of bearing being more suited for that than another type. What should I be looking for? Any recommended models? Thx!

honestly if you dont need rbg I would just go for artic p12 fans, used them for a couple years and they are cheap and reliable.

if you want good airflow then go for聽Noctua NF-A12x25 or聽Phanteks T30 120mm

Hope my response helps 馃檪

GPUMSI Gaming Ventus OC RTX 2060|聽CPU聽Intel Core i5-12600k|聽Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X|聽Memory Crucial DDR5 4800|聽Storage Western Digital SN850 500gb|PSUCorsair RM650x (2018)聽|聽CPU cooler聽Corsair H150i Elite Capellix|聽Monitor MSI聽|聽MouseLogitech G305 White|聽Keyboard Royal Kludge RK61(Cherry MX Reds)|Headset Logitech G533|

3 hours ago, Michael2 said:

honestly if you dont need rbg I would just go for artic p12 fans, used them for a couple years and they are cheap and reliable.

if you want good airflow then go for聽Noctua NF-A12x25 or聽Phanteks T30 120mm

certain barrings in fans last longer by a certain orientation. some dont care how there mounted.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

I believe it's thrust vs radial bearings. Thrust bearings can handle a force parallel to the axis of rotation, whereas radial bearings can handle a force perpendicular to the axis of rotation. Basically, radial for fans mounted on front/back, and thrust for fans mounted on bottom/top.

20 minutes ago, Wicked Disposition said:

I believe it's thrust vs radial bearings. Thrust bearings can handle a force parallel to the axis of rotation, whereas radial bearings can handle a force perpendicular to the axis of rotation. Basically, radial for fans mounted on front/back, and thrust for fans mounted on bottom/top.

its probably a question of witch barrings, hydro, magnetic, riffle, ball, so on

a few guys on here told me about it but i dont remember...

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Don't horizontally mount sleeve bearing fans.聽

What case and cooler are you using?聽

Where are you shopping / located? Budget? What features are you looking for in a fan?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

12 hours ago, Wicked Disposition said:

I believe it's thrust vs radial bearings.

The problem with聽 ball-bearings designed for horizontal use is they produce a horrible sound a huge chunk of the population can't tolerate. Maglev(Vapo-Bearing) are a much better choice. I've personally been replacing all ball bearing fans on GPUs and PSUs with advanced sleeve bearings (that people have found out can handle horizontal usage long enough; for a decade now with extreme success.

8 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

@thrasher_565You're probably thinking of advanced (true) Fluid Dynamic Bearings from Be Quiet! and Arctic Cooling (F9) and some others.

There's only 3 basic types of bearings : 1) Ball Bearings 2) Sleeve Bearings 3) Magnetic Bearings from Sunon. All other are just different names for different variation and upgrades to these.

Some advanced Sleeve (radial) will do fine horizontally (like Cooler Master's Loop Dynamic Bearing, Be quiet! SW3 advanced Fluid Dynamic Bearings, and so on), but yeah the simplest, and well most of them won't for any longer periods of time. Which is why @WoodenMarkerquestions very important, @ArcticApe

@Wicked DispositionI cant remember with enough certainty if double-ball bearings are thrust exactly, as I've read before of ball bearings that can handle both vertical and horizontal with a combined axial(thrust)+radial design (via axial angular contact). Are double-ball bearings traditionally used for vertical in PC space thrust, or hybrid ? And are all sleeve bearings radial (even ones for horizontal use like Fluid/Loop Dynamic). And what about Sunon magnetic Vapo bearings ?

18 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What case and cooler are you using?聽

Where are you shopping / located? Budget? What features are you looking for in a fan?

Case is coolermaster stryker. Budget is whatever. I was looking at noctua NF-a14 FLX to mount in the top of my case, would that be bad?

5 hours ago, ArcticApe said:

Case is coolermaster stryker. Budget is whatever. I was looking at noctua NF-a14 FLX to mount in the top of my case, would that be bad?

The NF-A14 is a good fan and that'd be fine.聽

Is the original fan failing? It should come with a 200mm stock fan.聽

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Noctua A14 is not even better than arctic p14 so the price for it is ridiculous.

13 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The NF-A14 is a good fan and that'd be fine.聽

Is the original fan failing? It should come with a 200mm stock fan.聽

I suspect its the one rattling like mad when the computer is cold.