Is it possible to plug M.2 SATA on M.2 NVME sockets or vice versa? [Asus Q405UA Laptop]

milesuy
Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
2 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

No, that won't work - it won't physically fit AFAIK. 

M.2 NVMe slots can accommodate SATA SSDs, but the motherboard my only support one or the other through firmware.

@milesuythe answer above seems to suggest a SATA SSD will work in the M.2 slot of this board, so a B+M key

I am planning to upgrade a friend's laptop and I saw that it has an M.2 slot from YouTube disassembly videos and some articles, but I can't find any official documentation that says which M.2 SSD is compatible with the laptop.

The laptop is an Asus Q405UA. Can anyone determine what SSD is compatible with the laptop from the photo below?

Asus-Q405UA-BI5T5-disassembly-29-1.jpg

Photo from https://www.insidemylaptop.com/how-to-disassemble-asus-q405u-q405ua-bi5t5/

I was able to check a forum, but I'm not sure if I could trust it, since some says there is and some says there's none.

The Q405UA comes with a SATA slot or connector, no PCIE or M.2 slot available. -ASUS Answers

Yes but only m.2 SATA No PCIe / NvME. -NapervilleIT

ASUS's answer is NOT TRUE. The Q405UA has a 2280 m.2 socket, as well as an open SO-DIMM socket. -Andrew

Is it possible to plug a M.2 SATA on a M.2 NVME socket or vice versa? Will it break the laptop or SSD if I was able to plug the wrong SSD in?

Edit: I am also planning to disassemble the laptop, since I am also planning to replace the thermal paste on the CPU. Is it possible to visually inspect which type of SSD the laptop can accept aside from checking the keying of the M.2 slot (B-key or M-key)?

M.2 drives come in two flavors, NVMe and SATA. What matters is if the slot itself accepts both SATA and NVMe as not all do. The only information I can find as laptop documentation for this sort of thing is notoriously atrocious is this page which seems to indicate that its a SATA only M.2 slot.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/questions/asus-2-in-1-14-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-128gb-solid-state-drive-light-gray/6292312/question/d9101b2e-872e-3f80-9813-d94e251fbded

There seems to be someone in the comments there who has one installed in the very tiny pictures, though I cannot give any guarantees that the slot actually functions or really, that any of this information is true.

2 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

No, that won't work - it won't physically fit AFAIK. 

M.2 NVMe slots can accommodate SATA SSDs, but the motherboard my only support one or the other through firmware.

@milesuythe answer above seems to suggest a SATA SSD will work in the M.2 slot of this board, so a B+M key

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

15 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Since M.2 NVMe slots can accommodate SATA SSDs, will the SSD or laptop break if I mistakenly plugged an incorrect type of M.2 SSD on any laptop or desktop?

31 minutes ago, milesuy said:

Since M.2 NVMe slots can accommodate SATA SSDs, will the SSD or laptop break if I mistakenly plugged an incorrect type of M.2 SSD on any laptop or desktop?

No it won't break

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

On 2/25/2022 at 2:00 AM, milesuy said:

Is it possible to visually inspect which type of SSD the laptop can accept aside from checking the keying of the M.2 slot (B-key or M-key)?

it's not possible, 

The B-key and M-key only limit the max SATA or PCIe lanes that can be connected to the M.2 slot.  
You can't visually check if it's wired for PCIe/NVME or SATA/AHCI, or both

Is it possible to plug a M.2 SATA on a M.2 NVME socket or vice versa?

if the key are compatible, then yes, it is possible (but if it's not wired for it (ACHI/NVME), it will not work )

Will it break the laptop or SSD if I was able to plug the wrong SSD in?

if the key are compatible, then nothing will happen.  If the key is not compatible, and you try to force it, then well yes (you can do stupid things, if you try hard enough, like plugging the ESP power to GPU :D) 

Ps. I will omit the SATA Express M.2 SSD, because it will just confuse you. Don't think about them. They are the edge case, are are absolutely hard to come by. Just don't. The deeper we go, the worse it gets.    

Spoiler
CPU : Intel 14gen i7-14700K
COOLER :  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White + thermaltake toughfan 12 white + Thermal Grizzly - CPU Contact Frame Intel 13./14. +  Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
GPU : MSI RTX 2070 Armor @GPU 2050MHz Mem 8200MHz -> USB C 10Gb/s cable 2m -> Unitek 4x USB HUB 10 Gb/s (Y-HB08003)
MOBO : MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY
RAM :  Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) 6400 MHz CL32 (CMK64GX5M2B6400C32)
SSD : Intel Optane 905P 960GB U.2 (OS) + 2 x WD SN850X 4TB + 2 x PNY CS3140 2TB + ASM2824 PCIe switch -> 4 x Plextor M8PeG 1TB + flexiDOCK MB014SP-B -> Crucial MX500 2TB + GoodRam Iridium PRO 960GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
HDD : WD White 18TB WD180EDFZ + SATA port multiplier adp6st0-j05 (JMB575) ->  WD Gold 8TB WD8002FRYZ + WD Gold 4TB WD4002FYYZ + WD Red PRO 4TB WD4001FFSX + WD Green 2TB WD20EARS
EXTERNAL
HDD/SSD : 
XT-XINTE LM906 (JMS583) -> Plextor M8PeG 1TB + WD My Passport slim 1TB + LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive 1TB USB-C + Zalman ZM-VE350 -> Goodram IRDM PRO 240GB
PSU :  Super Flower leadex platinum 750 W biały -> Bitfenix alchemy extensions białe/białe + AsiaHorse 16AWG White 
UPS :  CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 8 -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 10
LCD :  LG 32UD59-B + LG flatron IPS236 -> Silverstone SST-ARM11BC
CASE :  Fractal R5 Biały + Lian Li BZ-H06A srebrny + 6 x Thermaltake toughfan 14 white + Thermalright TL-B8W
SPEAKERS :  Aune S6 Pro -> Topping PA3-B -> Polk S20e black -> Monoprice stand 16250
HEADPHONES :  TOSLINK 2m -> Aune S6 Pro -> 2 x Monoprice Premier 1.8m 16AWG 3-pin XLR -> Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887 -> 4-pin XLR na 2 x 3.5mm 16 cores OCC 2m Cable -> HiFiMAN Edition XS -> sheepskin pads + 4-pin XLR na 2 x 2.5mm ABLET silver 2m  Cable -> Monoprice Monolith M1060 + Brainwavz HM100 -> Brainwavz sheepskin oval pads + Wooden double Ɪ Stand + Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK -> sheepskin pads + Multibrackets MB1893 + Sennheiser Momentum 3 +  Philips Fidelio X2HR/00 + JBL J88 White
MIC :  Tonor TC30 -> Mozos SB38
KEYBOARD : Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent (EU) + Glorious PC Gaming Race Stealth Slim - Full Size Black + PQI MyLockey
MOUSE :  Logitech MX ERGO + 2 x Logitech MX Performance + Logitech G Pro wireless + Logitech G Pro Gaming -> Hotline Games 2.0 Plus + Corsair MM500 3xl + Corsair MM300 Extended + Razer goliathus control
CONTROLLERS :  Microsoft xbox series x controller pc (1VA-00002) -> brainwavz audio Controller Holder UGC2 + Microsoft xbox 360 wireless black + Ravcore Javelin
NET :  Intel x520-DA2 -> 2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT + 2 x ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12
NAS :  Qnap TS-932X-2G -> Noctua NF-P14s redux 1200 PWM -> Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz CL14 (HX424S14IB/16) -> 9 x Crucial MX500 2TB ->  2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT -> 2 x Digitus (DK-HD2533-05/3)

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I tried to test fit some M.2 SSDs that I have right now (from my desktop) and the SSDs fits the slot. The keys of the SSDs are the B+M key, and an M key, both are PCIe NVME. Although I haven't tried to turn the laptop on with the SSDs installed, and I don't have an SSD that's a B key or an M.2 SATA.

Does this mean the M.2 slot is for NVME SSDs since the M.2 slot is M key?

17 hours ago, milesuy said:

Update: I tried to test fit some M.2 SSDs that I have right now (from my desktop) and the SSDs fits the slot. The keys of the SSDs are the B+M key, and an M key, both are PCIe NVME. Although I haven't tried to turn the laptop on with the SSDs installed, and I don't have an SSD that's a B key or an M.2 SATA.

Does this mean the M.2 slot is for NVME SSDs since the M.2 slot is M key?

Answer: No

I bought two of this model (ASUS Q405UA) specifically because they can be upgraded. The motherboard is a TP410UA that's flashed with a different firmware.

-Source

As mentioned in the quote the Q405UA shares the same motherboard as the TP410UA.

Digging further, I found out that the laptop accepts M.2 SATA SSDs only. I found an upgrade video for the Asus TP410UA, and it has a similar design / layout as the Q405UA.

Note: The voice over says M.2 NVMe, but it was wrong. In the comments, the uploader says it should be SATA, not NVMe.

This website also shows that the TP410UA is compatible with SATA M.2 SSDs.

16 hours ago, milesuy said:

Digging further, I found out that the laptop accepts M.2 SATA SSDs only. I found an upgrade video for the Asus TP410UA, and it has a similar design / layout as the Q405UA.

Note: The voice over says M.2 NVMe, but it was wrong. In the comments, the uploader says it should be SATA, not NVMe.

If an NVMe SSD is plugged into a SATA M.2 slot (if it fits) or vice versa, the PC won't see it. As mentioned on the comments section of the video, someone tried to plug an NVMe SSD on the laptop's M.2 SATA slot.

Update: I just installed a TeamGroup MS30 M.2 SATA SSD on the laptop. It works perfectly and I was able to install Windows 11 on it.

86352D57-C94D-4C42-ADCB-AF0659A45507.thumb.jpeg.d8b98c3d614a4a5f656c047766a8e584.jpeg

To summarize, for those upgrading the storage of their Asus Q405UA:

• There is an M.2 slot for M.2 SATA SSDs only, not M.2 NVMe or PCIe.
  • There is a 2.5" SATA Drive slot for 2.5" SATA HDDs and 2.5" SATA SSDs.