Drive for OS

Biker01

I need a drive for OS in a new build. I narrowed it to Samsung 970 evo plus and 980 pro. I laready have 2 bigger sata drives for gaming and other programs, don't wanna stuck too many drives in the case.

I already have 380TI FE video card which is supposed to get hot.

The question is, would those drives get hot as well? The motherboard is Asus Strix z690-F which has m.2 heatsinks.

The price is just $15 difference. 980 pro is a little faster but how much hotter is it than 970 evo plus? I don't wanna have sauna inside the case, even though i have decent air cooling. I suppose temperatures would be a bigger factor than speeds in this scenario.

I'm losing my mind picking parts, i'm glad it's a last thing to choose.

i would save the 15 dollars, but depending on your use case, you may want to go for the 980 pro, because although the 980 pro theoretically is improved over the 970 evo, both are still overkill for 99.9% of desktop users, i happen to find my old WD Black 500gb nvme overkill, and it a gen3 drive that does about 3500mb/s reading and 2000 writes, the only reason i went nvme is i got an outstanding deal as i bought it right when gen4 was coming out, obsoleting the gen3 drives in terms of performance, most people wont notice a significant difference between an nvme and a sata ssd from the same model line. That being said, the 980 pro uses MLC flash as opposed to TLC flash in the 970 Evo, meaning that it has a higher write endurance, meaning the SSD will last longer, when the write endurance exceeds factory spec, the drive wont die suddenly, it will just begin to slow down, and when this does happen the drive wont be able to wear level like it once did, so the estimated lifespan of a drive drops from a cliff once the drive has exceeded the write endurance it was rated for from the factory. This also means that its sustained write speed will be higher compared to the 970 pro TLC drive. IF you write alot of data to your drive, go for the 980.

To add to what @SiliconMagicianstated above, I wouldn't worry about the temperature of your drives much. Sure they will get hot but nothing compared to your graphics card or cpu in terms of overall case heat. The bigger topic would be what case you're going with and the fan layout among other things. If you have the money I'd get the 980, if you're a little tighter on cash, the 970 will do you just fine.