Is it okay to run your system with no case fans?

Wheezey

I built this computer a while back and only now just gotten around to using it. The system has no case fans and only a water-cooled CPU and the fans from the GPU. 
I didn't realise there were no fans for a long time, like a year, and was wondering if its likely I have caused damage this way?

That's not good. Cutting to the point, you should definitely get some fans, whether it be for the radiator, or front fans. The GPU fans can't save the entire system.

Turn it off then on again. 
CPU: Ryzen 3 3300x.                   GPU: MSI VENTUS XS 1660 TI *6 GB GDDR6*                    RAM: 16x2 of Trident Z Neo 3200MHZ                      Storage: 1x SAMSUNG 980 PRO 1TB M.2 Gen 4 SSD. 1x 7200rpm WD Blue 1 TB Hard Drive.                          Motherboard: MSI TOMAHAWK MAX II B450                             COOLER: Stock AMD                 EVGA SuperNOVA 750 GT, 80 PG.                        Case: Corsair 4000D AIRFLOW                     OS: Windows 11 Home Edition.

Depends on the case to be honest. I ran my computer with no case fans for years, but then again I didn't have side panels on so it made no difference having case fans or not.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

6 minutes ago, Wheezey said:

I built this computer a while back and only now just gotten around to using it. The system has no case fans and only a water-cooled CPU and the fans from the GPU. 
I didn't realise there were no fans for a long time, like a year, and was wondering if its likely I have caused damage this way?

It isn't necessarily bad but it depends on the temperature of the different components in your PC. 

But fans on the radiator of your CPU cooler is usually a minimum requirement and 1-2 case fans are never a bad idea. 

You probably haven't damaged anything as there are safe guards that lowers the clock speeds of your PC if you have to high temps. 

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

You don't have fans on your radiator either?

8 minutes ago, Levent said:

Depends on the case to be honest. I ran my computer for no case fans for years, but then again I didn't have side panels on so it made no difference having case fans or not.

7 minutes ago, Boyohan said:

It isn't necessarily bad but it depends on the temperature of the different components in your PC. 

But fans on the radiator of you CPU cooler is usually a minimum requirement and 1-2 case fans are never a bad idea. 

You probably haven't damaged anything as there are safe guards that lowers the clock speeds of your PC if you have to high temps. 

I should have posted my system specs so I'll do it now:

RTX 2060

Ryzen 7 3700x 

AORUS X570 Elite

1000 Watt Gold Rated Corsair PSU 

Corsair H100i Hydro CPU Cooler

32 GB 3200Mhz RAM

Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

And the radiator does fans on it, just to be clearer. 

There has been some performance impact on the PC that there shouldn't be, my friend has basically the same rig and is able to run Dying Light 2 on high with over 60fps, sometimes close 100fps. Whereas I am sitting around 40fps - 60fps on low settings.

Could the heat be impacting me a lot here?

4 minutes ago, mmk said:

You don't have fans on your radiator either?

Sorry just seen your post

V

1 minute ago, Wheezey said:

RTX 2060

Ryzen 7 3700x 

AORUS X570 Elite

32 GB 3200Mhz RAM

Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

There has been some performance impact on the PC that there shouldn't be, my friend has basically the same rig and is able to run Dying Light 2 on high with over 60fps, sometimes close 100fps. Whereas I am sitting around 40fps - 60fps on low settings.

2 minutes ago, Wheezey said:

RTX 2060

Ryzen 7 3700x 

AORUS X570 Elite

32 GB 3200Mhz RAM

Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Ok so fans on the radiator is good and should keep the CPU at decent temps. 

But the slow performance could still be heat related but we can't really know that until you check what your temps are during gaming. 

My PC runs with CPU temps at 55-60°C and GPU temps at 60-65°C during gaming but anything below 85°C is fine. 

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

Just now, Boyohan said:

Ok so fans on the radiator is good and should keep the CPU at decent temps. 

But the slow performance could still be heat related but we can't really know that until you check what your temps are during gaming. 

My PC runs with CPU temps at 55-60°C and GPU temps at 60-65°C during gaming but anything below 85°C is fine. 

I have ran Dying Light 2 and had a look at MSI AB to check the temps whilst I'm on that  title since it seems to be the one I'm having issues with.

I hover around 62-67°C whilst playing. I just can't for the life of me figure out why I am losing out on so much performance. 

1 minute ago, Wheezey said:

I have ran Dying Light 2 and had a look at MSI AB to check the temps whilst I'm on that  title since it seems to be the one I'm having issues with.

I hover around 62-67°C whilst playing. I just can't for the life of me figure out why I am losing out on so much performance. 

62-67°C is great so the temps are not the problem.

Is everything running at normal clock speeds ?

Have you enabled XMP / DOCP for your RAM ?

What is your CPU/GPU usage % during gaming ?

The 3700X is a great CPU and should be able to run any game at +100fps (as long as the GPU is powerful enough). 

16 minutes ago, Boyohan said:

62-67°C is great so the temps are not the problem.

Is everything running at normal clock speeds ?

Have you enabled XMP / DOCP for your RAM ?

What is your CPU/GPU usage % during gaming ?

The 3700X is a great CPU and should be able to run any game at +100fps (as long as the GPU is powerful enough). 

Everything is running at normal clock speeds, RAM is running at the speed its meant to and does have XMP enabled.

CPU is at about 50-60% utilization running at 4.17Ghz.

GPU is around 14% utilization however between alt-tabbing to type here it darts to about 30% and ten falls down to normal numbers again. Running at 1890Mhz according to MSI AB

RAM is at about 50% utilization. 

Off-course it's fine to run a system without additional fans, your system is a good example of that.

Many people think they need lots of fans, I would say in many cases (and with many cases) they are just making it worse with all those fans or layouts of how you are able to mount those fans and radiators.  Most cases are sold purely for looks and not for being good environments for the components. Just look at how many that is vertically mounts their GPU right up against the side panel and starving it on air/cooling just for the looks. Just look att all the cases that are sold that is blocking off all form av intake of air with fans spinning that hardly gets any airflow. Most cases are hotboxes for the components, but "they look good".

3 hours ago, Wheezey said:

Everything is running at normal clock speeds, RAM is running at the speed its meant to and does have XMP enabled.

CPU is at about 50-60% utilization running at 4.17Ghz.

GPU is around 14% utilization however between alt-tabbing to type here it darts to about 30% and ten falls down to normal numbers again. Running at 1890Mhz according to MSI AB

RAM is at about 50% utilization. 

With only 14% utilization of the GPU when gaming there is something wrong. 

9 minutes ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

With only 14% utilization of the GPU when gaming there is something wrong. 

Do you have any suggestions as to what the issue could be?

I would recommend getting at least 2 or 3 additional fans in there. It looks like your motherboard has only 2 fan headers, so there's a couple of ways you can do this.

1. Add 2 fans, one at the front (intake) and one at the back (exhaust). Kind of minimal airflow increase, but it's better than nothing.
  2. Add more than 3 fans, and use a 3 to 1 fan splitter for the front intake fans.
  3. Add Corsair RGB fans, and use the commander core XT. Get a good 6 case fans in there.

For option 1: Get 2 of these. Noctua P12 redux-1700 PWM 70.75 CFM 120 mm Fan

For option 2: Get 4 of these, and a fan splitter. Noctua P12 redux-1700 PWM 70.75 CFM 120 mm Fan | Cable Matters 2-Pack 3 Way 4 Pin PWM Fan Splitter Cable - 12 Inches

For option 3: Get 2 of this set of Corsair case fans (3 140mm fans at the front (intake), and 1 140mm fan at the back (exhaust)), and the Commander Core XT to connect them to the motherboard much easier. Corsair iCUE SP140 RGB ELITE 68.1 CFM 140 mm Fans 2-Pack | CORSAIR iCUE COMMANDER CORE XT, Digital Fan Speed and RGB Lighting Controller

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

42 minutes ago, GeorgeMKane said:

I would recommend getting at least 2 or 3 additional fans in there. It looks like your motherboard has only 2 fan headers, so there's a couple of ways you can do this.

1. Add 2 fans, one at the front (intake) and one at the back (exhaust). Kind of minimal airflow increase, but it's better than nothing.
  2. Add more than 3 fans, and use a 3 to 1 fan splitter for the front intake fans.
  3. Add Corsair RGB fans, and use the commander core XT. Get a good 6 case fans in there.

For option 1: Get 2 of these. Noctua P12 redux-1700 PWM 70.75 CFM 120 mm Fan

For option 2: Get 4 of these, and a fan splitter. Noctua P12 redux-1700 PWM 70.75 CFM 120 mm Fan | Cable Matters 2-Pack 3 Way 4 Pin PWM Fan Splitter Cable - 12 Inches

For option 3: Get 2 of this set of Corsair case fans (3 140mm fans at the front (intake), and 1 140mm fan at the back (exhaust)), and the Commander Core XT to connect them to the motherboard much easier. Corsair iCUE SP140 RGB ELITE 68.1 CFM 140 mm Fans 2-Pack | CORSAIR iCUE COMMANDER CORE XT, Digital Fan Speed and RGB Lighting Controller

I think option 2 is pretty good here, I'm definitely gonna go with that and see how I get on. Hopefully that will improve the performance 

2 hours ago, Wheezey said:

I think option 2 is pretty good here, I'm definitely gonna go with that and see how I get on. Hopefully that will improve the performance 

Happy to help! You should be able to mount 2 or 3 of those 120mm fans at the front, and connect them to the motherboard's 1st fan header, with the 3 to 1 pwm fan splitter easily. (If getting 4) You can then mount 1 fan at the back of the case (exhaust), and connect that to the second fan header on the motherboard by itself.

You have the AIO mounted at the top of the case actually, or at the front? If you have the AIO mounted at the front, make sure the fans are mounted as intake fans (either push or pull configuration). If it's at the front, then you can mount all the case fans as exhaust at the top and back of the case. I would still recommended the same amount of fans as well (3 or 4).

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

If you're not over heating then that's no issue

I specifically built a fanless PC before, for silence

Have you tried using ddu?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

If you're not over heating then that's no issue

I specifically built a fanless PC before, for silence

Have you tried using ddu?

I am not entirely sure what ddu is 

Just now, Wheezey said:

I am not entirely sure what ddu is 

display driver uninstaller

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

display driver uninstaller

I have not tried it but I can give it a go, anything I'd need to know?

Just now, Wheezey said:

I have not tried it but I can give it a go, anything I'd need to know?

download DDU and latest nvidia driver

disconnect from the internet (prevent windows from auto grabbing their driver), run DDU, install nvidia's driver, and see if issue persists

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

disconnect from the internet (prevent windows from auto grabbing their driver), run DDU, install nvidia's driver, and see if issue persists

I'll give it a shot now 

21 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

So I attempted to boot into safe mode but every time I tried I got a blue screen. Stop code: SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

9 minutes ago, Wheezey said:

So I attempted to boot into safe mode but every time I tried I got a blue screen. Stop code: SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

try disable your ram XMP