How long would you trust an AIO?

Brownfletching
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

I would use them for about as long as I'd use the CPU platform, so usually about 3-4 years. They are not something I would carry though an upgrade, and if I buy them in a used system the first thing I do is swap it out because I don't trust it. 

With AIOs, because they are inherently unreliable (water running through that can spring a leak at any time, not likely but possible and can kill hardware), I'd always err on the side of caution when using them.

This is more of a discussion question than a pressing matter, but I'm just wondering if there's any consensus on the general lifespan of an AIO. 

I've got an EVGA clc240 that's been chugging right along since mid-2017, and I've been wondering if I need to think about replacing it at some point before it causes any problems. That line of thinking lead me to wonder just how long these things can be expected to last... Is 5 years a reasonable time to get a new one?

I would trust it for its warrantied life. Beyond that its a calculated Risk.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I would use them for about as long as I'd use the CPU platform, so usually about 3-4 years. They are not something I would carry though an upgrade, and if I buy them in a used system the first thing I do is swap it out because I don't trust it. 

With AIOs, because they are inherently unreliable (water running through that can spring a leak at any time, not likely but possible and can kill hardware), I'd always err on the side of caution when using them.

23 minutes ago, Brownfletching said:

I'm just wondering if there's any consensus on the general lifespan of an AIO

It depends on the system it’s run in.. I would trust it for a year. I wouldn’t trust it for it’s warrantied period.. but that could just be me..

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

8 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Your last sentence is my current sentiment as well. 5 years of movement for at least several hours a day seems like a lot, despite the fact that it's not showing any signs of stopping. Risking the rest of my hardware seems like a bad idea, when I can just get a new cooler that probably cools better anyway.

8 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I marked this as the "solution" because I feel it's the best answer if future people find this thread.

Mine has been carried through 1 whole system rebuild and 3 different CPUs over the course of 5 years, so it's probably time for a change. 

I have seen some run 5 years no problem,And i have seen them crap out over a year.As long as its cooling right let it be and run.