Suggestions for SSDs in this day and age of compontent swapping?

I'm thinking of buying some SSDs to use to upgrade some machines.

• A 120GB SATA SSD (from a HDD)
  • A 1TB NVME SSD (from a 500 GB equivalent)

Both SSDs should use TLC and a DRAM cache. The NVME SSD will be going into a B450 Tomahawk MAX so Gen3 should be fine for the most part, although additional Gen4 suggestions would be nice for when I decide to move to a Gen4 motherboard the next time I upgrade.

Normally I would immediately hop onto PCPartPicker and look at some of WD's, Crucial's and Samsung's offerings, but ever since the I heard the news about many SSD manufacturers (including the 3 I mentioned, even Samsung) swapping out components and not changing their revision/model numbers and not being transparent about it, I decided to ask here.

What SSDs would you guys recommend? Keep in mind that I live in Australia, so recommending a deal from something like Micro Centre isn't an option.

So a mx500 for the sata one (honestly get the 250gb one here 120gb drives have basically been tossed to recieve scraps of whatever is left).

As for nvme drive. A kingston a2000 would be nice. As for speeds don't worry unless you do VERY SPECIFIC WORKLOADS you will never ever even reach speedcap. Hell even sata drives to this day aren't 100% used by anything but ceratin workloads.

24 minutes ago, jaslion said:

So a mx500 for the sata one (honestly get the 250gb one here 120gb drives have basically been tossed to recieve scraps of whatever is left).

As for nvme drive. A kingston a2000 would be nice. As for speeds don't worry unless you do VERY SPECIFIC WORKLOADS you will never ever even reach speedcap. Hell even sata drives to this day aren't 100% used by anything but ceratin workloads.

I heard the MX500 being recommended after the BX500 got downgraded from TLC to QLC (it was originally just DRAMless otherwise), I will definitely look into that.

As for the NVME drive, my current one is a 500GB WD Black SN750. I get that for most workloads high end SSDs may not matter, however I do have some specific workloads time-to-time where a higher end SSD (one that's comparable to the one I currently have) would be helpful.

58 minutes ago, FluorescentGreen5 said:

I heard the MX500 being recommended after the BX500 got downgraded from TLC to QLC (it was originally just DRAMless otherwise), I will definitely look into that.

As for the NVME drive, my current one is a 500GB WD Black SN750. I get that for most workloads high end SSDs may not matter, however I do have some specific workloads time-to-time where a higher end SSD (one that's comparable to the one I currently have) would be helpful.

Ok then keep using the sn750 as your scratch drive and get a regular good one as the other one.

By now you could say every manufacturer change something, then again some really degraded their models. Though Crucial is fine and Samsung I remember saw actually better random reads on a model that had a change.

Just get one with a DRAM all good.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |