Setting up new HDD on XP

da na

Have you tried assigning it a letter through Diskpart in the command line? I had to do that once for an SD card that somehow got messed up by my digital camera to the point where even Disk Management wasn't properly assigning it a letter

diskpart

list vol

sel vol x (whichever one is the new one)

assign letter x

Edited by AudiTTFan
Added the necessary commands

Highly knowledgeable in all the obscure 2000s hardware & software you'll never need to ask about

5 minutes ago, AudiTTFan said:

Have you tried assigning it a letter through Diskpart in the command line? I had to do that once for an SD card that somehow got messed up by my digital camera to the point where even Disk Management wasn't properly assigning it a letter

Lists C and D, local and ODD. Interesting, doesn't recognize it at all. I'll try the MOLEX power and different SATA ports.

16 minutes ago, AudiTTFan said:

diskpart

list vol

sel vol x (whichever one is the new one)

assign letter x

Ok, tried a couple more drives. Desktop 80 gb didn’t work, laptop 500 go didn’t work so I thought I’d try my clear drive and check for head movement. That one strangely worked, 240gb laptop drive. Didn’t even need diskpart, showed up as E in file explorer. Think it could have to do with power consumption?

EE62B491-AF96-407F-BAA1-C6B57E3CB700.thumb.jpeg.c9e95610a6ce4d5c4e82fdae6092cb3a.jpeg

I had this issue last night with an external drive where it spun up but wasn't recognized by Windows. Turns out I can't power a 3.5" 1TB WD Green HDD off of a 500 mA USB port.

What happens if you hook it up to a different power supply for power?

elephants

12 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Think it could have to do with power consumption?

How old is the 500GB drive? It could very well be a power consumption problem if it's an older 500GB drive that needs multiple platters.

RPM could also be a reason, if that 500GB one is a 7200 RPM drive and the 240 GB spins at 5400

Highly knowledgeable in all the obscure 2000s hardware & software you'll never need to ask about

13 minutes ago, AudiTTFan said:

How old is the 500GB drive? It could very well be a power consumption problem if it's an older 500GB drive that needs multiple platters.

RPM could also be a reason, if that 500GB one is a 7200 RPM drive and the 240 GB spins at 5400

It is a 10ish year old laptop drive. Single platter. 

17 minutes ago, Caroline said:

A... drive inside a bag? and it works?

Is the other drive ATA? don't set the jumper as CS, that's bad.

It's in an orange juice container. Made it in a "clean room" of multiple vacuum cleaners pointing at the drive. Don't know how much longer it'll last. 

All drives are SATA. I'll locate that jumper, could be the issue.

Important to note also that if I plug in an external 2tb HDD, whether in an enclosure with separate power supply or dedicated external drive, it won't work. 

7 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

It is a 10ish year old laptop drive. Single platter. 

What RPM is it? I think that would've been right around the time when 7200 RPM drives started appearing more frequently in laptops, so the bigger motor could be using more power

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

I'm starting to run out of ideas. You tested that and the 3.5" drive in another PC before to see if they still actually work, right?

Just now, AudiTTFan said:

I'm starting to run out of ideas. You tested that and the 3.5" drive in another PC before to see if they still actually work, right?

Yup, they're fine. Eh, I'll just use an external 64gb drive.

Are they formatted as GPT or MBR? Windows XP doesn't understand GPT.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

You won't get a drive letter if there's no partition on it.

Diskmgmt.msc is your friend. Unless you like fiddling with diskpart for no reason.

1 minute ago, wseaton said:

You won't get a drive letter if there's no partition on it.

Diskmgmt.msc is your friend. Unless you like fiddling with diskpart for no reason.

As I said earlier, they have NTFS partitions formatted on another computer. But I will try that.