UEFI settings lost after PC is unplugged from wall socket

frozensun

Hi guys.

I want to write about this issue which has become quite annoying to me.

I'm not sure if it happens on my other 2 PCs but on the latest with Crosshair Hero VIII board,if I like unplug the PC from wall socket (I mean PSU cable) for like a day,and tomorrow plug it back,PC simply can not boot,and it gets me to BIOS,giving some dumb error message in post q-led screen.

I can not believe it,for a board that costed me 500 euros.

I also have an old FX 8120 with ASrock board and I can left it in a box for like 2-3 months,get it out,plug the cable to the wall socket and it simply works out of the box just like it has been regulary used.

So it's not common,,from this my conclusion is that 10-20 years ago motherboards had a lot less issues.

Is this what happens to me,normal for everyone or I just got some stupid faulty board?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

2 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Hi guys.

I'm not sure if it happens on my other 2 PCs but on the latest with Crosshair Hero VIII board,if I like unplug the PC from wall socket (I mean PSU cable) for like a day,and tomorrow plug it back,PC simply can not boot,and it gets me to BIOS,giving some dumb error message in post q-led screen.

I also have an old FX 8120 with ASrock board and I can left it in a box for like 2-3 months,get it out,plug the cable to the wall socket and it simply works out of the box just like it has been regulary used.

So it's not common,,from this my conclusion is that 10-20 years ago motherboards had a lot less issues.

Is this what happens to me,normal for everyone or I just got some stupid faulty board?

Could just be a depleted BIOS battery. Try to change it, see if it makes a difference.

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

It happened as soon as I purchased the board and build my PC.

Rarely it could be a battery on brand new board,but everything is possible.

So you think if I replace the battery I wouldn't have issue anymore?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

if you have a spare board around, just swap the batteries of the two boards.

- if now the new board is fine and the other has critical amnesia.. you've found your culprit.

- if the new board is still problematic after swapping the battery, swap them back, and RMA the thing.

16 minutes ago, frozensun said:

So you think if I replace the battery I wouldn't have issue anymore?

Its part of troubleshooting, trying things. No one can say for sure until you try it.

4 hours ago, frozensun said:

Hi guys.

Dead CMOS battery.  Don't care if the motherboard is new or not.  That battery is there to save those settings while the PC is unplugged from the wall.

What exactly is the error message?

I've also found that newer mobos don't like losing power. Whenever I unplug mine it always does a double boot like it is starting up for the first time.

15 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Dead CMOS battery.  Don't care if the motherboard is new or not.  That battery is there to save those settings while the PC is unplugged from the wall.

I guess so.

To correct you it's the EPROM chip who saves the settings and I suppose the battery is there just to give it power.

Eitherway I should probably replace it.

13 hours ago, dilpickle said:

What exactly is the error message?

I've also found that newer mobos don't like losing power. Whenever I unplug mine it always does a double boot like it is starting up for the first time.

I'm not actually sure,I will try later tonight to turn ON this PC and write you error code number at hang.