Synology vs Asustor

xdeathshot20

So im looking into getting a new NAS and ive decided between the Synology ds920+ and the Asustor as5304t.  Both are 4 bay Nas.  Similar specs.  The Asustor does have dual 2.5gb ports.  I've never used either brand nor have I even heard of Asustor.  I'm going to be using 2 16tb WD gold drives at first.  The NAS will be used for Plex, file backup for my home and maybe eventually a VM or 2.  The price difference between the 2 items is $100.

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

On 2/11/2022 at 5:27 PM, xdeathshot20 said:

So im looking into getting a new NAS and ive decided between the Synology ds920+ and the Asustor as5304t.  Both are 4 bay Nas.  Similar specs.  The Asustor does have dual 2.5gb ports.  I've never used either brand nor have I even heard of Asustor.  I'm going to be using 2 16tb WD gold drives at first.  The NAS will be used for Plex, file backup for my home and maybe eventually a VM or 2.  The price difference between the 2 items is $100.

If the choice is between these two, I wouldn't even think about it twice: Synology. When you're buying a NAS-in-a-box, software (apps, features, compatibility, support, stability) is essential; I've never heard of this Asustor in my life, whereas Synology is, for better or worse, leading the market.

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

I would also feel more comfortable going synology. Though it may be a bit ambitious to run vm's on either of those with their low power cpu's.

The 100 dollar price difference doesn't seem that significant considering the total cost includings those harddisks.