Code 38

BiotechBen

Anyone know how to stop windows from spitting out code 38 when you re-insert a mass storage device after ejecting it?

Only solution I've been able to use is to restart the system. 

23 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Anyone know how to stop windows from spitting out code 38 when you re-insert a mass storage device after ejecting it?

Only solution I've been able to use is to restart the system. 

My cousin had a similar issue recently on two windows 10 laptops . I've done two things to his laptops:

1 Start CMD as administrator and run sfc /scannow (it found errors on his machine and repaired them)

2 I also found an article somewhere saying that you should shut the machine while holding shift (it clears memory apparently) 

After those two steps everything was back to normal on both machines 

7 hours ago, LpoolTech said:

My cousin had a similar issue recently on two windows 10 laptops . I've done two things to his laptops:

1 Start CMD as administrator and run sfc /scannow (it found errors on his machine and repaired them)

2 I also found an article somewhere saying that you should shut the machine while holding shift (it clears memory apparently) 

After those two steps everything was back to normal on both machines 

Tried the hold shift, but it's an every time "solution". Currently running scannow

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

still doesn't work correctly.

24 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

still doesn't work correctly.

sorry can't help then in mine case both of the laptops had an issue found by scannow after I just restarted them with shift and it worked for both laptops (one amd and one intel)

10 minutes ago, LpoolTech said:

sorry can't help then in mine case both of the laptops had an issue found by scannow after I just restarted them with shift and it worked for both laptops (one amd and one intel)

The strange thing is it only started happening after a service repair to HP where they had to change out the main board due to incomplete bios file

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem every time if I want to use my usb drive I have to restart does anyone have a fix I don't really want to reinstall windows this is my work PC? 

Go into your devices panel and uninstall the usb drive, then do a full system power drain by shutting down and pulling the cmos battery for 5 minutes to clear all cache files stored on the device. Error 38 is a conflicting driver error, do that and let windows find the correct driver, it should fix your issue

2 hours ago, Shimo Okami said:

Go into your devices panel and uninstall the usb drive, then do a full system power drain by shutting down and pulling the cmos battery for 5 minutes to clear all cache files stored on the device. Error 38 is a conflicting driver error, do that and let windows find the correct driver, it should fix your issue

Have done that before, that's a one-time clearing of the error for the full shutdown. Aren't cache files also stored in Persistent memory, which is not subject to data loss when power is removed...

Depends on the cache. Some are, some aren't. You might have something persistent telling windows to reinitialize the driver, in which case go into the device properties and uninstall the driver itself, not just the device. Then reset and try again.

Is there a way to just have it flush cache when there is a device change? Ex. When a device is removed? Also been having since day 1 messages pop up that the boot SSD has timed out and been removed while I'm actively using it? (WD SN520)