How to best set up my business computers? Servers | Virtualized Desktops | Network | GPU servers

I have a tattoo studio which runs up to six PC's and a couple laptops. In an effort of economy I would like to create a best possible networked system which would utilize one main machine as a server and perhaps utilize one machine(or the same machine) for the GPU hardware.

The idea is that instead of buy 6X fully decked out PC's. I buy one PC with mass storage and a decent GPU, the other 5 PC's utilize this main PC's hardware. 

The main work done on these PC's is photoshop design on almost all PC's and one content creator PC (video and photo editing)

From some reading I've done a GPU server wouldn't work without multiple GPU's. Then someone else mentioned that a smaller gpu is used and helped by a larger gpu to do all the heavy lifting.

I'm a total noob to servers/networking so be gentle... 🙂

Is this idea even feasible? What is the best way to approach this?

It's certainly possible, but is it worth the inherent risk of putting all your eggs in one basket? Storage is one thing, but if that one server goes down and takes all your thin client workstations with it, you're gonna have a bad time.

The video editing PC needs a high end video card, but the rest should be fine with just lower-end workstation cards (or even just modern integrated graphics).

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

With only 6 pcs you very unlikely to be saving money having a centralized server. A basic pc is pretty darn cheap(you can get a used optiplex for like 200 bucks that will run those programs fine). You also have to spend more time setting it up and have a central point of failure.

If you really want to do this, Id get multi seat software like aster. Then you can have multiple users on one gpu, and all on one os. 

What Wizardry said. You can get refurbished i7s for less than $200. Slap a decent monitor on them and you are all set for any Photoshop application. My 10yr old i7 slings it fine.

Two bay NAS for about the same although you will need drives. Cloud storage as an option depends on your internet speed, is generally iffy for multimedia, but worth looking at. You can always just share stuff off one PC in a pinch.

You are not going to get around Adobe licensing with RDS or VDI. Thats a common motivation for this. 

21 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

With only 6 pcs you very unlikely to be saving money having a centralized server. A basic pc is pretty darn cheap(you can get a used optiplex for like 200 bucks that will run those programs fine). You also have to spend more time setting it up and have a central point of failure.

If you really want to do this, Id get multi seat software like aster. Then you can have multiple users on one gpu, and all on one os. 

Dam I guess things are much cheaper in the US (assuming that's where your from) $200 would buy the case here (Indonesia). My main concern was GPU's with the massive price hike, its forcing me to consider alternatives such as this idea. I also have a about 4 average computers (all need upgrading), one can be converted into a server and one upgraded with minimum of 4gb GPU for video editing

Im looking at least $1000 USD for a mid range system for video editing
-GPU GeForce GTX 1650 - $350

-CPU AMD Ryzen 7 2700X  - $220

-mobo MSI Pro-VDH B460M Wi-Fi - $150
- RAM corsair vengeance ddr4 $100
- SSD 500gb - $80
-2tb hdd - $80

- PSU 600w $70
-Case - min $20

You only need a dedicated GPU in the one that's going to be used for editing video. All the rest can run on integrated graphics just fine, and you can always add GPUs to them later if you find it absolutely necessary.

What are the specs on your "average computers"? Are they so old that upgrading them is a worse value than completely replacing them?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, K1LLA_KING_KONG said:

Dam I guess things are much cheaper in the US (assuming that's where your from) $200 would buy the case here (Indonesia). My main concern was GPU's with the massive price hike, its forcing me to consider alternatives such as this idea. I also have a about 4 average computers (all need upgrading), one can be converted into a server and one upgraded with minimum of 4gb GPU for video editing

Id use a igpu for all systems but the one that needs to do video editing. That should save you a lot of cost. Id go used systems for the office pcs, a used buiness desktop should be cheap and plenty fast.

But take a look at aster, should work well here.