Low-power home/game server 2022

Go to solution Solved by NelizMastr,
20 hours ago, Keycee said:

Do you think this will be powerfull enough? (maybe not for two game servers at once, but that would only be an edge case scenario)

There are also more powerful versions, but it gets pricy then and the power draw would be higher then I guess.

That's a good place to start, especially for the money. Those mobile Ryzens are pretty efficient. 

Hello Guys,

I'm looking for some ideas for a high-efficiency pc build for 24/7 use. 

It should be able to run TeamSpeak server, one or two game servers (Ark, Minecraft, Terraria, etc...), maybe some FTP or small NAS like data share, and possbliy a small website. So I would need at least 8 GB of RAM I guess

The power target for the whole system should be arround 15 watts if possible ( idealy less when idleing and not more than 30 under full load)

I have an old 500 GB M.2 SSD lying around but other than that I have no spare hardware.

I have thought of the recent Raspberry Pi 4, but I do not know I it would be powerful enough (and RAM could be a bit to small). 

For total cost (without SSD) I would be happy if it would not exceed 200 Euros/Dollar.

So if you have any suggestions for, I would be more that thankful. I have build several gaming Pc, but I have little experience with low-power builds or even sever builds 🙂 

For the 15w target, you really aren't gonna get a desktop PC for less than $200 that can run 2 game servers. Your best bet is a Raspberry Pi to do the TeamSpeak server, NAS data, and the website, then put the rest of that money into cloud hosting. 

Agreed. The low wattage CPUs (Intel T series notably) are excellent for low power computing. 

I built myself a 1.5U rack server with similar goals in mind. 

- i3 10100T

- 16GB RAM

- H510 ITX board

- 1.5U rack mount case with 2 3,5" bays. 

With modern CPUs allowing 16GB DIMMs no problem, you can easily get something very compact to a good amount of RAM, CPU and storage

in a very small form factor. I'd look for something Intel 8th gen or AMD Zen1 or newer.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Wow I did no expect a response that quickly. Thanks to all of you 🙂

I think I will look into what NelizMatr said. 

Anyway in the mean time I found thishttps://store.minisforum.de/collections/type/products/um350 

It is not as powerful (the i3 10100T is 35% faster on cpu.userbenchmark ) but it is afforable and can be upgraded or bought as barebone. And i found a someon who claimed it ran at 6-7 watt idle which would be perfect.

Do you think this will be powerfull enough? (maybe not for two game servers at once, but that would only be an edge case scenario)

There are also more powerful versions, but it gets pricy then and the power draw would be higher then I guess.

20 hours ago, Keycee said:

That's a good place to start, especially for the money. Those mobile Ryzens are pretty efficient. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro