Ultrabook choice for student (1200$)

Hi!

Following issues on my current computer (XPS 15), I plan once repaired to sell it and change. Consequently I am inquiring about the different ultrabooks available on the market.
I am a student living in France (which might explain if you find any mistake on this message), and I use the computer for college (only Office) + web browsing. I have a budget around 1200$ (I can be flexible).
As for the points I pay a lot of attention to (in decreasing order of importance) :
- Screen (in itself obviously, colors, definition and ratio, but also the thin bezels)
- Build quality
- Battery
- Longevity
- Repairability (e.g. changing the battery without any problem to find the part in question)
- Performance (but honestly it's limited to having a computer that never crashes, no demand for performance in games / heavy work)

After some research, I eliminated the new XPS because it's too expensive and I don't want to deal with the Dell after sales service anymore. I now have 2 main models: the new Macbook Air M1 and the Honor Magicbook view 14 (I know it isn't aivable globally but it is pretty similar to its Huawei counterpart). The OS doesn't really matter, I prefer Windows but I have nothing against switching to MacOS.
I appreciate the Mac for its finishes, its screen (but not its bezels), its battery, its performance and also its value retention which is an important point. Apple's after-sales service is also a safe and accessible value.
Concerning the Honor, it seems that its build quality was almost equal to the Mac, a better screen (to my taste: 3:2 format, ultra thin edges and tests seem to indicate that the characteristics of the screen are very correct), a better reparability (but no idea about the availability of parts), Windows (small +). Nevertheless, contrary to the other models I had examined, the long term review are rarer, the brand being rather "recent" and its reputation difficult to determine both in terms of its products and after-sales service.

That's why I'd like to know if you had any suggestions that I hadn't thought of, if you had an opinion on this "duel" or simply if you had any opinion/feedback on one of the 2 computers.  

Thank you

So like a zenbook um425 or a lenovo flex amd or,... ? I mean with the honor you are basically paying extra for design the macbook you surprisingly aren't since it is a seriously nice device.

I have a feeling your are seeing build quality as in plastic bad metal good? But from experience the laptops that end up lasting the longest are plastic or metal plastic hybrids.

If you really want a repairable laptop get a frameworks. Both laptops you listed here are equally hard to replace stuff in and are basically never open these laptops. Besides the honor can't even cool it's i7 well but not that it matters as your tasks are extremely basic and you will massively overpay for what you need here.

The framework might be out of your budget, but if you're looking for repairability might be the best option.

Macbook Air could be a solid choice as you've said.

Also a big fan of Lenovo myself, so a Flex or Yoga might be a good shout for you?

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

10 minutes ago, SirReallySam said:

The framework might be out of your budget, but if you're looking for repairability might be the best option.

Macbook Air could be a solid choice as you've said.

Also a big fan of Lenovo myself, so a Flex or Yoga might be a good shout for you?

It's 750 for the basic model isn't it? Which is more than plenty for op.

True,

13 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It's 750 for the basic model isn't it? Which is more than plenty for op.

True, however living in France I don't think Framework have international keyboards yet sadly. So a French one (normally azerty) won't be an option, which is something OP should consider.

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

1 minute ago, SirReallySam said:

True,

True, however living in France I don't think Framework have international keyboards yet sadly. So a French one (normally azerty) won't be an option, which is something OP should consider.

They do?

56 minutes ago, SirReallySam said:

True,

Framework does have a French keyboard (I walked through the configuration process to check). The real question is whether or not the OP is willing to spend above budget (€1,150 is about $1,315 US) and wait until March.

3 hours ago, Zinchromex said:

Hi!

Following issues on my current computer (XPS 15), I plan once repaired to sell it and change. Consequently I am inquiring about the different ultrabooks available on the market.
I am a student living in France (which might explain if you find any mistake on this message), and I use the computer for college (only Office) + web browsing. I have a budget around 1200$ (I can be flexible).
As for the points I pay a lot of attention to (in decreasing order of importance) :
- Screen (in itself obviously, colors, definition and ratio, but also the thin bezels)
- Build quality
- Battery
- Longevity
- Repairability (e.g. changing the battery without any problem to find the part in question)
- Performance (but honestly it's limited to having a computer that never crashes, no demand for performance in games / heavy work)

After some research, I eliminated the new XPS because it's too expensive and I don't want to deal with the Dell after sales service anymore. I now have 2 main models: the new Macbook Air M1 and the Honor Magicbook view 14 (I know it isn't aivable globally but it is pretty similar to its Huawei counterpart). The OS doesn't really matter, I prefer Windows but I have nothing against switching to MacOS.
I appreciate the Mac for its finishes, its screen (but not its bezels), its battery, its performance and also its value retention which is an important point. Apple's after-sales service is also a safe and accessible value.
Concerning the Honor, it seems that its build quality was almost equal to the Mac, a better screen (to my taste: 3:2 format, ultra thin edges and tests seem to indicate that the characteristics of the screen are very correct), a better reparability (but no idea about the availability of parts), Windows (small +). Nevertheless, contrary to the other models I had examined, the long term review are rarer, the brand being rather "recent" and its reputation difficult to determine both in terms of its products and after-sales service.

That's why I'd like to know if you had any suggestions that I hadn't thought of, if you had an opinion on this "duel" or simply if you had any opinion/feedback on one of the 2 computers.  

Thank you

It sounds like the MacBook Air is your choice. The Honor machine sounds good on a basic level, but I wouldn't want to buy a a system I depend on for school without knowing how reliable it will likely be or how quickly I can get repairs in the event of a problem. You don't want to be without your computer for a couple of weeks when you have a report due.

My wife owns the MacBook Air M1 and loves it. The screen is more than up to the job, the battery life is great (she'll go a typical workday without plugging in, even if there's an average-length Zoom call in the middle), and the keyboard/trackpad are top-notch. About the only limitations are the repairability (though you'll have access to Apple's repair services, so you won't be without a system for long) and the two Thunderbolt/USB-C ports. In a sense, the highest compliment you can give is that my wife can concentrate on work instead of her computer.