Can i use a spare SSD as a cache for my NAS?

japers

I have a spare 250gb samsung evo SSD and i was wondering if it could be used for caching from my synology NAS.

Has anybody done anything similar through fancycache or primocache etc?

37 minutes ago, japers said:

I have a spare 250gb samsung evo SSD and i was wondering if it could be used for caching from my synology NAS.

Has anybody done anything similar through fancycache or primocache etc?

The only limiting factor would be the software, just make sure the files you are dealing with arent huge, cause then that would mean the the cache would be useless. caches are good for little files, and random files.

4 hours ago, japers said:

That is the native compatability list. i.e. putting an SSD inside your NAS. Im talking about a solution via software

What model nas do you have?

How is the nas mounted? CIFS? If its used with CIFS/SMB like most nas boxes are you really can't cache it with normal software.

Normally you can't cache a nas too much on the client end as other clients can use the same data and you will get weird issues.

5 hours ago, japers said:

That is the native compatability list. i.e. putting an SSD inside your NAS. Im talking about a solution via software

How are you planning to use your SSD as a cache in your NAS without installing it in your NAS?

You might be able to figure out how to get it working as a read/write cache if you poke around the terminal enough (since DSM is just Linux underneath), but the Synology management UI will be oblivious to any under-the-hood changes you make.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.