Repurposing old components

I recently swapped out my cpu cooler and now I have a spare wraith prism lying around. I was going to find a place to recycle it but then decided it might be a fun project to repurpose it into something else! 

that led me down a rabbit hole of trying to find a good resource for repurposing pc components and, unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be much out there. Does anyone know of a good resource or have any ideas  of their own what else I could do? 

I’m not interested in building another machine out of it. I’d rather turn it into a lamp or something. Thanks!

36 minutes ago, gravityotter69 said:

I’m not interested in building another machine out of it. I’d rather turn it into a lamp or something

it's not really something common to do since there isn't much to modify on a wraith prism.

It's a couple heatpipes and some fins, you can probably repurpose the fan and LEDs but then you're going down the route of building a machine with a 12v power supply and controller (unless by "machine" you mean PC) the fin stack and heatpipes are basically useless outside of art pieces.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

Make an audio amplifier and cool it using that cooler.

Use something class AB and easy to use, like let's say TDA7297 ...you can one for under 3$ and the circuit is super simple to make, you could just use the one in datasheet, see page 5 : https://datasheet.lcsc.com/lcsc/1809191943_STMicroelectronics-TDA7297_C96009.pdf

i would give it for free on facebook marketplace or something, theres always someone who needs it!

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

On 2/4/2022 at 5:59 PM, gravityotter69 said:

I recently swapped out my cpu cooler and now I have a spare wraith prism lying around. I was going to find a place to recycle it but then decided it might be a fun project to repurpose it into something else! 

that led me down a rabbit hole of trying to find a good resource for repurposing pc components and, unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be much out there. Does anyone know of a good resource or have any ideas  of their own what else I could do? 

I’m not interested in building another machine out of it. I’d rather turn it into a lamp or something. Thanks!

The quickest and easiest way would be to wire the connector and turn it into a neat desktop prop and plug it into usb. Would be a neat paper weight that gives it's self it's own purpose. Not only does it try to make the paper fly away, it holds it in place!!!!! 😛 

But I'm sure there are lots of neat ideas other people might have that's better, that's just what first came to mind. 

Good Luck!

On 2/5/2022 at 2:30 AM, mariushm said:

Make an audio amplifier and cool it using that cooler.

Use something class AB and easy to use, like let's say TDA7297 ...you can one for under 3$ and the circuit is super simple to make, you could just use the one in datasheet, see page 5 : https://datasheet.lcsc.com/lcsc/1809191943_STMicroelectronics-TDA7297_C96009.pdf

This Idea is really good. You can find a lot of those that work well with 12V ans most of them come with a horrible tiny heatsink.

The only problem will be, to mount everything together. But this can be solved with special glue. You can even add a cheap fan controller.