Corning starts selling optical USB 3.0 cables - up to 30 metres

KakaoDj

Kitguru article

This was displayed at CES last summer

They are now availale for purchase through Accu-Tech and Amazon, starting at $129. It will be available in 15M and 30M versions later this year.

I can see the use for it, although a NAS or a network cable could do the trick as well (for much cheaper)... This only applies to computers though. Cameras and other stuff might benefit from this.

But hey, if you MUST throw money at some cool tech, this could be a nice choise for your business.

Corning this week said that it had begun to sell its optical USB 3.0-compatible cables that can extend data transmission beyond the 3-meter limitation of comparable copper cables. Corning’s cables can send data at up to 5Gb/s data-rate at distances up to 30 meters. Unfortunately, such cables are rather expensive.

corning_usb_3_optical_cable.jpg

This made milk come out of my nose while eating cereal. LOL

The snake oil is 2 stronk

The snake oil is 2 stronk

I wonder if the two guys selling it have any idea how dumb they sound

& the word "prosumer" is basically an insult.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy crap... Over 100 dollars FOR A CABLE?

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Holy crap... Over 100 dollars FOR A CABLE?

Reminds me of this.. "Worlds Fastest HDMI Cable"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-snip-

I know they exist for the idiots out there, but I'm more wowed by the fact that the ONLY option sits at over 100 dollars.

Those HDMI cables are just a bunch of crap, but the USB 3 cable is the only one I know of, that is available at this kind of length.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

hahahah, ninja'd so hard  :lol:  :lol:

I want to walk into a best buy and get a guy to convince me to buy it.

I know they exist for the idiots out there, but I'm more wowed by the fact that the ONLY option sits at over 100 dollars.

Those HDMI cables are just a bunch of crap, but the USB 3 cable is the only one I know of, that is available at this kind of length.

try google, there's more of them. I've got one myself. USB to micro usb.

To me this seems kind of useful, I wouldn't put it in the same category as those overpriced HDMI cables.

Camera tethering is something that comes to mind.

I can see the use for it, although a NAS or a network cable could do the trick as well (for much cheaper)... 

Not necessarily, as he said in the video USB 3.0 theoretical limit is 5gbs which is around 500MB/S . Your typical NAS/Network cable can only handle 1Gbs which equates to 112Mb/s at most, unless you spend thousands of dollars for a 10Gbit connection (For Nics, Cables, Switch or even a capable NAS). 

The longest cable I have seen is a 5 meter USB 3.0 cable, which is as far as a typical copper USB 3.0 cable will go unless you use repeaters. So I can see why they're charging quite a lot for it. 

Not sure why you would need to have a 15/30 meter USB 3.0 cable though.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

This is just pathetic, if you need 30m of usb cable, then you have a problem, your better off doing it through Ethernet, I don't believe there is much use for this!!

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

This is just pathetic, if you need 30m of usb cable, then you have a problem, your better off doing it through Ethernet, I don't believe there is much use for this!!

There is, as I said in my previous post, 1gbit ethernet is limited to a theoretical speed of 112MB/s unless you spend thousands more for a 10Gbit connection. Spending $300 at most on a USB 3.0 cable,  will give you around 500 MB/S. I can't think of a few uses, running a USB 3.0 drive enclosure in another room etc. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Holy Mother of all Cables!!! We pray for your well being  :P  

PC Gaming forever...

In my eyes it is NOT worth it

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

Hmmm, if only something faster exist. Something cheaper. Something call LAN. any idea(s) guys?

Hmm with fibre optic internet becoming more widespread , I think this can be used for other applications as well. Maybe they can replace also copper cables depending on the use. Like Ethernet cables