Recently did PC upgrade & OS reinstall, want to transfer programs, settings, etc; also moving computers around, but...

PianoPlayer88Key

Hi ...

So for the last few years, my daily driver has been a Clevo P750DM-G laptop running Windows 10.  Specs include an i7-6700K, 64GB DDR4-2133, booting from a 1TB WD Blue (3D) SSD, GTX 970M 6GB, 1080p screen, plugged into an Asus VG289Q.

The laptop is running Windows 10 Pro 1909, and although I've tried several times, it absolutely fails / refuses to update.  It'll get 37% through in Windows Update, then stop with an 0x80070002 error code, or if using the downloadable Windows 10 Update Assistant, it gets to 71% quickly, then slowly to 76%, then quickly starts counting up again until 61%, then briefly flashes "The updates were installed but Windows 10 Setup needs to restart....", then after restarting, briefly flashes Checking for updates xx%, then Making sure you're ready to install, and fails with "We can't tell if your PC has enough space to continue installing Windows 10."  This is in spite of my boot SSD (C:) having over 600GB free.
The last successful update was to 1909 on 2020-06-07, and the first failed update was 2004 on 2020-09-18.
At some point I had cloned (using Linux "dd") from a 250GB Crucial MX300 (which was running out of space) to the 1TB WD Blue 3D SSD (which was purchased 2020-08-25).  (Also a while ago I noticed a phantom "C:" (Missing) in the System Restore settings, but removing that didn't solve the issue.)

I recently did a desktop upgrade, to R9-5950X, Liquid Freezer II 360, ASRock B550 Taichi, 128GB DDR4-3600, booting Windows 10 Pro from a 1TB Silicon Power P34A80 SSD that I pilfered from the laptop (reformatted and fresh install).  I kept the EVGA SC GTX 1060 3GB, Fractal Design Define R5, Corsair AX760 and hard drives from my previous desktop build (which has i7-4790K, Hyper 212 Evo, ASRock Z97 Extreme6, 32GB DDR3-1600, booting from a 1TB Samsung 970 Evo).

The desktop is running 21H2.  Both are Windows 10 Pro.

So ...

I would like to migrate the settings, saved states, etc, of many of my commonly used programs over from the laptop to the desktop, so I can basically continue where I left off.  (Starting over completely would be quite a hardship, probably setting me back a few years or more, or at least it feels that way.)
Some things I want to migrate include Chrome and Firefox (including data from extensions, open windows & tabs and their positions, sizes, which virtual desktops they're on), VirtualBox (including VMs and their data), DaVinci Resolve, Audacity, any Steam stuff that isn't cloud saved (and if I could import some things from older Steam installs including as far back as the mid/late 2000s I think, that would be nice as well), GIMP, Handbrake, OBS Studio, VLC Media Player, LibreOffice, Discord, and possibly some other things I haven't yet thought of.

I did a bit of googling for migrating Chrome and Firefox, and some posts mention copying the User / AppData folders, as well as exporting / importing certain registry keys, but some other posts mention doing that and it didn't entirely work right.  (I haven't checked on the other things yet, but I'm thinking the AppData folders might be involved there as well, among other things but idk what.)

Am I on the right track (AppData, etc) for possibly migrating the current state of my commonly used programs, or is there something else I'd need to do?

Also,

I'm planning to do some physical shuffling of computers, and would like to start daily driving the 5950X and 128GB RAM.  (I've far exceeded the 6700K + 64GB's capabilities, I often have pagefile upwards of 100+ GB, sometimes 200 or even 300+ GB, and the CPU is often working itself to the bone.)
I would like to put the desktop where the laptop is now.  (It's a late 1990s / early 2000s style wood/furniture computer desk with hutch and a cubby hole for the tower, the Define R5 will fit there.)  I would be using the Asus VG289Q monitor with the 5950X, the Logitech G604 (that I'm currently using with the laptop), and the Logitech K270 that's been used with the desktop in its other location.
For the laptop, I would go back to using the built-in screen, while using the Logitech K360 and G602 because the built-in keyboard has some things not working, and I had too many problems with palm/wrist trigger on the touchpad (and I'm used to a mouse anyway) so I turn it off completely.
Putting the laptop where the desktop has been isn't practical.  I've been using an upright piano as a computer desk for the desktop, with the monitor (Dell U2414H) sitting on the music shelf (it's a sturdy built-in shelf, not a flimsy fold-down flap - Baldwin Hamilton, not like Yamaha U3), peripherals on the piano keyboard cover (while it was closed), and the tower at first beside (or under the front of) the piano, and more recently on a table nearby.  (The table recently had a couple legs collapse though, taking some things with it that were on top as it fell over, so I had to shut down the desktop, I happened to be using it at the time.)
Technically the laptop would fit where it is now even with the desktop there, but, there isn't enough room to open the lid on the laptop without obstructing my view of the larger monitor.
There's a lot of clutter and stuff in other parts of the house, so I'm kind-of limited on where I can put the laptop.  The only room I can think of that might be a possibility (and I've had it in there before) is my bedroom, but problem is, that room only has ungrounded 2-prong outlets.  (The house was built in 1962.)  I'd like to put it in another room across the hall, but there's a lot of stuff stored in there and you can hardly get around.  Putting it in the "other living room" isn't really desired either, as it's basically our dining room and there isn't really a place to semi-permanently set it up.  (My parents use their laptop in there, and they have to move it around sometimes.  Also, what we call the living room (where my laptop and desktop are now) used to be the garage but it was converted by the people that lived there before my parents moved there in November 1978.  The dining room, or what we call our family room, would probably be the traditional living room.)

I'm not posting pictures right now with this OP (so it doesn't look absolutely gigantic, would like to keep it short enough so it fits on one screen at 4K without scrolling), but if it would help I could probably take and post a few pictures.

(Also I'd like to figure out maybe turning the 4790K + Asrock Z97 Extreme6 setup into a NAS / backup server, but I'd need a very compact case that can still fit a full ATX motherboard and at least 10 HDDs (# of SATA ports on motherboard) or more.  Or, build another NAS with a smaller form factor but still supporting several HDDs, but I've been having trouble finding something that's compact enough and not too expensive (entire setup costing less than a single HDD) not counting the HDDs, buying an off-the-shelf NAS like Synology, Qnap, etc likely wouldn't really work for me ... but that's a topic for maybe another post sometime.)

Okay ... so far I've imported the Chrome and Firefox stuff (from the respective AppData folders) ...
Most of the Chrome and Firefox tabs were restored, although in Chrome I had to go to Session Buddy and open tabs from the previous session.
But...
It didn't remember my passwords, logged-in sites, and I'm guessing there's other things that didn't transfer.
(I remember one site saying something about exporting & importing registry keys, I haven't done that yet....)

Also some of the Chrome tabs didn't open properly.  I loaded the session, went away, came back a while later and Chrome had closed, re-opened Chrome, restored the session, but it only restored about 72% of my tabs, with a disproportionately large section being blank tabs that I use for organizing things in windows.  (Yes, I know of tab groups, but I want some physical space between groups of tabs in the same window, and sometimes I want varying spaces between tabs in the same group.)

But then... with a bunch of tabs and other things open, maybe I have too much going on.

Spoiler

(Come on though, I only have about 19.2+K tabs open in Firefox, and about 5.3K+ in Chrome.)

Oh, also, pcpartpicker is no longer accessible from ANY device on the network. 😕 Any ideas what I can do to fix that without resetting my IP address at the router?

also somehow the mouse is moving tabs to the far left of the window spontaneously when I click on them, idk why.

And the keyboard on at least one PC is sometimes semi unresponsive.  Interacting with elements on websites, or with Windows in general, it might take several seconds to ctrl+(shift+)tab between tabs, or for win key to open start menu.  (Interesting thing though, when I click in Twitch chat it doesn't give me any problems typing, but will be unresponsive when I try to type in the address bar.)  This is on the 5950X system mostly.

Right now the two PCs are basically set up on the same desk.

1660671242_PXL_20220204_163837001-computerdesksetupdesktoplaptop2monitorskeyboardsmice.thumb.jpg.be23a7751aa979dba4e6041a1af9a888.jpg

I switched the locations of the keyboards and 🐁 since the pic was taken.  The laptop is using the Logitech K360 keyboard and G602 mouse which are now in the lower position, while the desktop is using the K270 and G604 which are in the upper position.
Quite often I'm finding myself starting to type on the wrong keyboard as well, which was one of the reasons I'd moved them.  (The upper larger monitor is connected to the tower PC under the desk, the laptop is using its built-in screen.)

Moving the laptop to a different location would likely be preferred (even though I wouldn't be able to use both PCs from sitting in the same spot), but due to clutter and stuff in the house, the only spot I might be able to move it to has outlets like this, and even that room is kinda cluttered.

1876679414_IMG_20181213_042757642-ungrounded2-prongoutletinbedroom.thumb.jpg.facd301d6d4b6df418da64b94b5b9d0a.jpg

Maybe I have too much going on though.... too much IRL, too many browser tabs/windows, trying to do too many on-PC projects, etc.  (I have a thread in off topic asking for suggestions on how to deal with that basically, have gotten several good replies but haven't had a chance to reply yet.  I have a draft of a reply with a bunch of examples of things in a spoiler but it's not posted yet.)

Also there's the issue of what to do with the old platform (4790K+Z97 Extreme6+32GB+Hyper 212 Evo), as well as---.... 

Or did I post this in the wrong section? The OP was posted about 5 days ago and never got any replies.