Need Help! DDR4 2666 on DDR4 1866 Motherboard

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,
16 minutes ago, FRSHPRNCFBLR said:

Are you sure it supports DDR4? 1866 is a typical DDR3(L) speed, while 2133 and upwards would be DDR4 speeds. 

Specs list it as DDR4, up to 1866 MT/s : https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05240287

Yeah, should be able to get 2133/2400/2666 Mhz SO-DIMM sticks and they should run just fine.  Though how much performance increase or how useful it would be with that processor, it's another story.

Hello everyone. I’m searching this over internet and I can’t find exact answer for this. I have a MiniPC a HP T630 with AMD GX420GI Processor that Supports DDR4 1866Mhz SODIMM (Max) with the Maximum RAM Capacity Supported of Theoretically 32GB. And of Course I hardly can’t find a RAM that is 16GB with 1866Mhz speed. I Already have a DDR4 16GB 2666MHz. So for safety purposes I didn’t plug my existing RAM. The question is, Does my 2666Mhz supports 1866Mhz Speed? There’s nothing on earth that ever says the Maximum and the Minimum Speed that a RAM can handle. Sorry if my English is bad.

4 minutes ago, Felgate11 said:

Hello everyone. I’m searching this over internet and I can’t find exact answer for this. I have a MiniPC a HP T630 with AMD GX420GI Processor that Supports DDR4 1866Mhz SODIMM (Max) with the Maximum RAM Capacity Supported of Theoretically 32GB. And of Course I hardly can’t find a RAM that is 16GB with 1866Mhz speed. I Already have a DDR4 16GB 2666MHz. So for safety purposes I didn’t plug my existing RAM. The question is, Does my 2666Mhz supports 1866Mhz Speed? There’s nothing on earth that ever says the Maximum and the Minimum Speed that a RAM can handle. Sorry if my English is bad.

Faster RAM should always be able to run at slower speeds.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Faster RAM should always be able to run at slower speeds.

Thank you I will take note of this. So, for clarification it’s still safe to plug a 2666Mhz or even a 3200Mhz on a 1866Mhz only motherboard? Is that correct?

17 minutes ago, Felgate11 said:

Yes. It should. The marketed speed on RAM sticks are rated maximum speed that it can run. It should be downspeed compatible as its SPD and JEDEC dictates. Though you'll just just get the maximum RAM speed as your motherboard dictates, no matter how high RAM speeds you put. It would be practical(cost-wise) to put a RAM that is the closest speed next higher to what the system supports, if you can't find the exact RAM speed. Like what you mentioned that you already have a 2666mhz.

16 minutes ago, FRSHPRNCFBLR said:

Are you sure it supports DDR4? 1866 is a typical DDR3(L) speed, while 2133 and upwards would be DDR4 speeds. 

Specs list it as DDR4, up to 1866 MT/s : https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05240287

Yeah, should be able to get 2133/2400/2666 Mhz SO-DIMM sticks and they should run just fine.  Though how much performance increase or how useful it would be with that processor, it's another story.

Ok, so from what I’ve gathered, the odd RAM speed is based on the CPU only supporting that speed. So yeah, go get some 2133 or 2400 dimm. 

But with the rest of the hardware, it’s doubtful that you will feel a big performance benefit. 

Thank you for all your help guys. Regarding Cost-Wise. My country doesn’t have price difference between a 2400 or a 2666 or a 2933 or a 3200 Mhz RAM Though. They are just basing the price on the capacity. So, a 16GB DDR4 2400 is at the same price of 16GB DDR4 3200 which is just around $100🤣 At least I somewhat understand the capability of the RAMs. I just hope I won’t have BSOD issues though.