What graphics card should I get

CorlHorl7787

Hello I have a pc it has 2 8gb sticks of crucial ram, 500w power supply, core i5 2400 and 500gb hhd I would like to know the best graphics card or the most expensive I could possibly get for this please help :)

19 minutes ago, CorlHorl7787 said:

Hello I have a pc it has 2 8gb sticks of crucial ram, 500w power supply, core i5 2400 and 500gb hhd I would like to know the best graphics card or the most expensive I could possibly get for this please help 馃檪

What kind of PSU?

What's your budget?

PSU Tier List聽 聽AMD Motherboard Tier List聽 聽SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the聽community.

3 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

What kind of PSU?

What's your budget?

It鈥檚 a silent psu 500w idk what brand but I don鈥檛 have a budget pretty which what I want lol

5 minutes ago, CorlHorl7787 said:

It鈥檚 a silent psu 500w idk what brand but I don鈥檛 have a budget pretty which what I want lol

If you have no budget, I would recommend pulling your 1080 and build a new system for it.

The i5 2400 is quite an old platform by today's standards.

2 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

If you have no budget, I would recommend pulling your 1080 and build a new system for it.

The OP has a GTX 1080? Where do see that at?

But I agree the OP will be better off building a New Rig with it installed.

3 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

I don鈥檛 rlly wanna build a new system would a 1080 be good in it I have been told a gtx 1060 6gb

28 minutes ago, CorlHorl7787 said:

I don鈥檛 rlly wanna build a new system would a 1080 be good in it I have been told a gtx 1060 6gb

I would first and foremost make sure that your psu has pcie power connectors. I know some psus won't have them as they weren't really designed to run dedicated gpus or they have proprietary connectors.聽

33 minutes ago, CorlHorl7787 said:

Important question:聽 with how old your system is were you just using your on-board graphics or did you have an old GPU that died?聽 If you had a GPU in it before what model was that so we have something to reference.

Assuming your 500W PSU is a decent-enough model (not some diablotek or cheap apevia brand that is more hazard than not) and has a least a 6-pin (or 6+2 pin) PCIe power connector you could scoop up a used AMD RX 580 off ebay for around $240 or so and it would game.聽 I'll assume you're gaming at 1080p.

If you wanted new instead of used could go for a GTX 1650 as at least they aren't quite so overpriced compared to the rest of the GPU market:聽 (whatever card is the best deal in this list):聽https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#X=0,39595&c=373,369,415,367,390,443,500,476,439,450,438,130,165,221,173,436,446,425,447,427,448,424,518,499,497,513,494,508,506,492,507,516,505,493,392,391,431,478,484,445,444,511,509,501,495,496,498&sort=price

Ok so first. Find out what 500w unit you have. Because depending on that adding a gpu could either be fine or kill your entire system. Open it up and tell us the model.

Secondly you don't have a budget so just build a new pc. A i5 2400 for gaming today sucks massively since it's a pure 4 core cpu.

7 hours ago, whm1974 said:

The OP has a GTX 1080? Where do see that at?

But I agree the OP will be better off building a New Rig with it installed.

Don't know where I read that from.

Must have been thinking of another thread.

Stayed up too late last night 馃槃

7 hours ago, CorlHorl7787 said:

I misread that you already had a 1080. My mistake.

Regardless, I still believe you should go with at least a new mobo/cpu combo.

10 hours ago, CorlHorl7787 said:

The Rig you have will slow down the performance of whatever modern GPU you get. The PSU is old enough that it may not have the required connectors anyway.