Why are there so many 300hz+ laptops, but only two 300hz+ desktop monitors?

jtmoseley

It seems very common these days for high performance gaming laptops to have 300hz, or even 360hz monitors. Many of these laptops are fairly affordable, ranging from $1200 up to $2250, which doesn't seem all that bad considering that an equivalent monitor (albeit larger) will cost $450+.

And the weirdest thing is that... there are only two models of 300hz+ desktop monitors, the Asus ROG Swift PG259QN and the Alienware AW2521H, which are both 360hz 24.5 inch 1080p IPS monitors. And they each cost $450.

So... why? Why is it suddenly possible to get relatively affordable laptops, such as this https://www.newegg.com/black-asus-rog-strix-scar-15-g533qs-ds96-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834235896?quicklink=true asus one, that has a 300hz ips panel, a 3080, a 5900hx, and 16gb of ram for only $2,249, or, on the lower end, this https://www.newegg.com/eclipse-gray-asus-rog-strix-g15-g513qe-es76-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834235880?quicklink=true asus one for $1,249 that has a 300hz ips panel, a 3050ti, a 5800h, and 16gb of ram?

As a high refresh rate desktop gamer, it just doesn't make sense to not move to a laptop... Why would I spend so much money on a 24 inch 1080p monitor, when I could just get a better screen coupled with a 3080 for 2 thousand dollars?

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

At 1080p, my 75hz monitor looks better than my 120hz laptop screen.  

High refresh is one thing, color, contrast and brightness make up the rest. 

24 minutes ago, Heliian said:

At 1080p, my 75hz monitor looks better than my 120hz laptop screen.  

High refresh is one thing, color, contrast and brightness make up the rest. 

It is still an IPS screen. Reviews don't ever mention color accuracy. Is your laptop an IPS?

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

58 minutes ago, jtmoseley said:

It is still an IPS screen. Reviews don't ever mention color accuracy. Is your laptop an IPS?

I had to check and no, it is a wide viewing angle TN led

-> Moved to Displays

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Economy of scale I guess, I doubt there will be many people who want a tiny screen to game on a high end PC. And in order to make a large screen, you need a higher resolution display which are harder to drive and don't make a lot of sense at 300hz.

Desktop and laptop display manufacturing is also not interchagable. Display are made in a giant panel call mother glass whic are then cut to the size that fit the resolution that you want to sell. So you can't just cut a 13 inch 1080p laptop screen bigger and call it a 27 inch 1080p, it will be a 4k display at that size and pixel density. So a seperated mother glass panel is needed for the two display resolution at differernt size, obviously if they don't expect a lot of sales out of that mother panel, they will have to charge more per pieces to make up the cost (and risk)