Fake Dolby Vission Certificaiton?

Hi, I bought this TV on amazon - https://www.amazon.in/Redmi-inches-Ultra-Android-L50M6-RA/dp/B08Y55LPBF/ref=sr_1_4?crid=5V76LX1SG721&keywords=realme+tv&qid=1643346053&sprefix=realm%2Caps%2C629&sr=8-4

I knew that it would be terrible, it's a TV for a school anyway, but it claims to be Dolby Vision. The only time I saw pure blacks was when the backlight was off (duh). And except that it was edge lit, how can a Dolby Vision TV have a backlight? Don't you need pure blacks? Over that, it's not even IPS. They don't even disclose the display technology. It absolutely looks like  a scam but it is by Redmi, a Mi brand, and I'm surprised they're getting away with this. Any idea how?

2 minutes ago, Somekindahoooman said:

Hi, I bought this TV on amazon - https://www.amazon.in/Redmi-inches-Ultra-Android-L50M6-RA/dp/B08Y55LPBF/ref=sr_1_4?crid=5V76LX1SG721&keywords=realme+tv&qid=1643346053&sprefix=realm%2Caps%2C629&sr=8-4

I knew that it would be terrible, it's a TV for a school anyway, but it claims to be Dolby Vision. The only time I saw pure blacks was when the backlight was off (duh). And except that it was edge lit, how can a Dolby Vision TV have a backlight? Don't you need pure blacks? Over that, it's not even IPS. They don't even disclose the display technology. It absolutely looks like  a scam but it is by Redmi, a Mi brand, and I'm surprised they're getting away with this. Any idea how?

Nah unfortunately there's different levels of that certification. 
Iirc, there's one that allows any TV with local dimming in. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

13 minutes ago, BrinkGG said:

Nah unfortunately there's different levels of that certification. 
Iirc, there's one that allows any TV with local dimming in. 

Local Dimming on an edge lit? Although that's maybe possible, makes no sense or is not what Dolby intended it to be, I think. I think they wanted to allow local dimming IPS displays (which are still somewhat premium), not edge lits. Why is Dolby not doing anything about this? Isn't this ruining their brand?

Typical marketing crap. They pull the same thing on monitors with HDR10. You can support Dolby Vision without being able to actually achieve Dolby Vision. It just means it understands the data transmission. Technically no TV truly supports Dolby Vision when you get right down to it, because the PQ curve is designed for 4000 nits of brightness. Even theatres can't hit that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 10:33 PM, Chris Pratt said:

Technically no TV truly supports Dolby Vision when you get right down to it, because the PQ curve is designed for 4000 nits of brightness. Even theatres can't hit that.

Yep. The best LCDs units are maxing out around 2000 nits and the best OLEDs don't handle dark colors perfectly either (they can do perfect black by turning off but just off from black is its own jump).

As it stands if you have something like an LGC1 or a Samsung QN90a you'll get a pretty darn good movie experience though - better than any projector (other than screen size being smaller and not being able to place speakers behind the screen)

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

• 3 weeks later...

@rrats It's about contrast too. And one way to achieve that is high brightness in local dimming zone screens. They could be OLEDs or Full Frame LEDs.

• 1 month later...

@rratsHigh bit depth color is sort of thought of as a necessity... 8 bit color can't represent great shadows and highlights... That's y HDR is in 10 bit, for having the details needed for HDR... Hdr displays should hav 10 bit color, that doesn't mean they should be color accurate and almost always don't represent all the colors in the 10 bit gamut...

Hdr's soul is always about shadows and highlights and relates with contrast....

1 hour ago, Somekindahoooman said:

@rratsHigh bit depth color is sort of thought of as a necessity... 8 bit color can't represent great shadows and highlights... That's y HDR is in 10 bit, for having the details needed for HDR... Hdr displays should hav 10 bit color, that doesn't mean they should be color accurate and almost always don't represent all the colors in the 10 bit gamut...

Hdr's soul is always about shadows and highlights and relates with contrast....

10bit doesn't have anything to do with gamut or color saturation. It introduces more steps in between the darkest value and the brightest value for each color, which reduces color  banding between very similar color shades. That is the only thing 10bit or higher color depth does compared to 8bit. In other words: A fully saturated red will look the same on 8bit and 10bit color (when the display also stays the same).

There is nothing stopping you from using 8bit color with HDR. And in the end the experience will be very similar, just with more banding due to the 8bit gradients. But in fast scenes and especially in gaming the difference between 8bit HDR and 10bit HDR is nigh impossible to notice.

HDR itself doesn't introduce any more detail in shadows. The only thing it does is introduce more headroom to make bright highlights stand out. The low brightness range up to around 100 nits is not changed compared to SDR. And sadly with the bad HDR implementation on many monitors it's mostly just increased brightness at the cost of shadow detail, so HDR makes shadows worse and contrast stays about the same just at a higher average brightness.

So in the end a good HDR display has to be able to preserve SDR shadow detail while also adding the brightness headroom to make highlights pop in HDR. And for that you need either self-lit pixels (OLED, MicroLED) or a backlight with plenty of dimming zones (FALD, MiniLED).

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.