Tiny capacitor broke off 1080 Ti

Tomniverse

During some repasting I noticed a tiny capacitor (I think) broke off. The card in question is an MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X. I tested the card and it seems to work fine. Benchmarks show no drop in performance, but I'm afraid it might drastically shorten the card's lifespan. The capacitor is labeled 'C70'. Do you think it'll be fine if I leave it like this or should I get it repaired? I've got no soldering experience myself and the thing is tiny (I still have it). Any help would be much appreciated!Screenshot_20220128_003510.jpg.9aa223e804843774667e034003ecee96.jpgIMG_20220128_002753.thumb.jpg.8eee7a6d35b7b5d1de06a1155b8e2b72.jpgIMG_20220128_002726.thumb.jpg.83724c03a1314291fc796ec3d69543f7.jpg

11 minutes ago, Tomniverse said:

IMG_20220128_002753.thumb.jpg.8eee7a6d35b7b5d1de06a1155b8e2b72.jpg

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

Do it if you can. It's an easy fix with the right tools.

There's a ghetto way of doing it I despise, involving a heat gun, but don't do that if you don't have any experience soldering, you might burn your fingers and the components.

Looks like the pad was ripped off to me which will NOT be an easy fix.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Looks like the pad was ripped off to me which will NOT be an easy fix.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah it looks like it. I'm not sure how it happened, since I only noticed it was broken off when reassembling. Im suspecting I got careless with my microfibre cloth while cleaning the heatsink. C69, C71, C72 and C73 are still intact. I've reached out to PC repair stores in the area, but I'd be surprised if anyone would be willing to take on the challenge. Is there a chance that the capacitor was non-critical and my card won't die in a couple weeks?

55 minutes ago, Tomniverse said:

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah it looks like it. I'm not sure how it happened, since I only noticed it was broken off when reassembling. Im suspecting I got careless with my microfibre cloth while cleaning the heatsink. C69, C71, C72 and C73 are still intact. I've reached out to PC repair stores in the area, but I'd be surprised if anyone would be willing to take on the challenge. Is there a chance that the capacitor was non-critical and my card won't die in a couple weeks?

Its possible, we'd need to know what its actually connected to in order to have any idea how critical it is.

Can you make out where the trace it was connected to goes?

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its possible, we'd need to know what its actually connected to in order to have any idea how critical it is.

Can you make out where the trace it was connected to goes?

I'm a bit hesitant to open it up again. I did however find several high resolution images that are identical to my board. As you can see there's no clear way to see where the trace goes. We'd probably need an electrical diagram to figure that out.

I ran furmark for a while to see if anything would happen and it all seems to work fine. My guess would be that it's one of those parallel capacitors that filter the current swings. Removal of one of those would increase the thermal stress on neighboring capacitors right? So if I understand correctly it would probably reduce the lifespan of the card, though it'd be hard to tell whether it would take years or weeks. 

From what I've read fixing it DIY seems not to be worth the risk, in case it shorts. I'm going to try to find an audio/TV repair store that might be familiar with board repairs, since I don't trust the local PC guys have much experience. That would give some peace of mind at the very least!

Screenshot_20220128_033024_com.microsoft_emmx.thumb.jpg.34bb490799bc4f3b50c83cf65b12aa8a.jpgNVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-Founders-Edition-PCB_Front.thumb.jpg.93a7bb43816597098a7d42b5abf46067.jpgNVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-Founders-Edition-PCB_Back.thumb.jpg.06648713b72c47f1df4eb7862f79ae95.jpg

18 minutes ago, Tomniverse said:

I'm a bit hesitant to open it up again. I did however find several high resolution images that are identical to my board. As you can see there's no clear way to see where the trace goes. We'd probably need an electrical diagram to figure that out.

I ran furmark for a while to see if anything would happen and it all seems to work fine. My guess would be that it's one of those parallel capacitors that filter the current swings. Removal of one of those would increase the thermal stress on neighboring capacitors right? So if I understand correctly it would probably reduce the lifespan of the card, though it'd be hard to tell whether it would take years or weeks. 

From what I've read fixing it DIY seems not to be worth the risk, in case it shorts. I'm going to try to find an audio/TV repair store that might be familiar with board repairs, since I don't trust the local PC guys have much experience. That would give some peace of mind at the very least!

That would be my assumption, though I was kinda wondering if it was coming off a PCIe pin given its location.

If you're lucky, maybe its just some filtering to meet PCIe spec that in the real-world is unlikely to cause an issue.

7 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That would be my assumption, though I was kinda wondering if it was coming off a PCIe pin given its location.

If you're lucky, maybe its just some filtering to meet PCIe spec that in the real-world is unlikely to cause an issue.

Only time will tell 🙂 Thanks for the help!

• 1 year later...

Hello sir , What is the name of this electrical piece? I want to request a similar one because it is missing. If you have the code or name of the piece, and how many volts, thank you