Samsung ODYSSEY G9 issues experienced

Lonewolf12016

Hey

Think I was kinda lucky on this as it died 11 months after buying it, so was still covered, but with the failure rate of the G9's think its safe to say it needs more time to bake or just scrap the model.

By what I have also read the Neo g9 is plagued with even worse issues.

About 4 months ago I noticed that one some boot ups, the display would turn on but wouldnt display a image. Quick reboot and everything would be okay, put this down to a weird glitch, Tech is wonderful at times and can do weird things.

It wouldnt happen once every 3 days ish.

So 2 weeks ago was using it as normal, been on for about 2 hours, then bang screen went black, at first I thought it was my RTX 3080 that died as they had a habbit of dieing, but noticed music was still playing, so clearly not my GPU.

So restarted and nothing, backlight but no image, couldnt even get menu up on screen or for it to display what port was connect. 

Now i Started to panic. 

Swapped DP ports, reboots, nothing, Tryied HDMI, nothing.

It would turn on and even blink as it was swapping between screen resolution of boot screen to desktop.

Now I thought maybe it was something up with my PC, luckly My wife as a PC set up, so swapped, hers over, booted my system up, worked fine, booted wifes PC up on monitor, bare in mind her pc never been connected to this monitor, so all display settings should be reset to default, still nothing.

So contacted Samsung and this was a total nightmare in itself.

Guy we spoke to knew exactly what Monitor I was on about as soon as I stated what size it was, said we would get a phone call about collection, to make sure we state we need a box.

Got that phone call the next day to be told they dont have any boxes but they will book for a home repair and expect another phone call.

Another 24 hours later get a phone call, they didnt know what we was talking about and was told they dont do home repair, they also dont have any boxes in, So they will get a Engineer to Give us a call about collecting it.

The day came and yup he called me to say he was 45 mins away, turned up, took pics of the monitor, tryied to say that finger smudges (where i had handled it to test ports) where cratches.

For packaging all he used was a massive clear pink bag, I am soooo confident that its not going to get scratched *sarcasm*

Told me I would have it back in a week.

I will update you what happens when I get it back to what they did and the state it came back in. Currently on day 5 no including day of collection.

I have found from previous experience that atleast here in the UK its far less of a hassle to go through the retailer you bought it from than going straight to the manufacturer.

Even if ur outside of retail 'returns', they can still sort out manufacturers warranties and usual just take the details of the problem, take the item and give u a new one from stock.

At least amazon has done this for me in the past with a MSi Glutch mouse. Tried to go through the manufacturer and got the run around, went to Amazon and immediately got a return and replace done.

im sure not all retailers would do this but its easy to find out, just ask, worst that could happen is they say no and you have to go through the manufacturer. Best case they take whole issue off your hands and simply replace it.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

On 1/27/2022 at 3:46 PM, SolarNova said:

I have found from previous experience that atleast here in the UK its far less of a hassle to go through the retailer you bought it from than going straight to the manufacturer.

Even if ur outside of retail 'returns', they can still sort out manufacturers warranties and usual just take the details of the problem, take the item and give u a new one from stock.

At least amazon has done this for me in the past with a MSi Glutch mouse. Tried to go through the manufacturer and got the run around, went to Amazon and immediately got a return and replace done.

im sure not all retailers would do this but its easy to find out, just ask, worst that could happen is they say no and you have to go through the manufacturer. Best case they take whole issue off your hands and simply replace it.

I tryied to go through the retailer, Overclockers UK, but after 30 days they no longer will handle it, Monitor and Laptops you have to go to the manufactorer, anything else and they will RMA. Yeah i tryied to argue with them about it.

Well I had to shoot them a email as after a week I heard nothin, they got back to me saying they received a new screen for my monitor and it was in the process of being fitted, they called me today to say it was due back in my area tomorrow Friday 5th, they will then sort out getting it back to me.

So yeah the LCD by the sounds of it was replaced by the sounds of it, I should get a repair report surely when I get it back so then get a idea of what they did.

Maiin thing is it got sorted, just was a hassle at the beginning.

So my monitor came back, all working again, actually really happy with the work.

They had to replace the LCD panel.

g's setup.jpeg