Dell Precision 3561 using 7.9GB of 16GB system RAM on shared GPU memory

Justin_

Hey guys,

Im having a bit of an issue with THIS Dell Precision 3561. For whatever reason Windows (or an application?) decided that my Intel UHD graphics need to use the maximum allowable 50% of my system RAM and I don't know how to change that back.

I have tried updating graphics drivers and just updated the BIOS with no change. Cant find any settings in the BIOS to set the max or startup shared memory amount either. Looking in Intel Graphics Command Center I also don't see settings there. Even after a fresh startup it is still using 7.9GB.

I have the Intel UHD iGPU and the NVIDIA t600 DGPU in this system and both show the same 7.9G shared memory, so I'm not 100% sure its the iGPUs fault.

Beyond that I have tried running a few games/apps on the laptop that could use the DGPU, but it always wants to go to the iGPU for some reason. Don't know if that is related in any way.

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

From Memory tab in Task Manager, Hardware Reserved is 7.9G? Thats the amount reserved for iGPU at that moment. You are most likely seeing dGPUs 4Gb combined with your in-use RAM rather than what iGPU is using.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

iGPU

image.png.0814ff9368d24e2af844403d0b50ee6b.png

dGPU

image.png.851d977cd50359e48df7e81d00adb060.png

Top RAM usage in Task Manager

image.png.2d261cea7f1b76870c5a6d218a2ba957.png

So yeah, there is 7.9G of shared memory, but the dGPU still has the 4GB onboard memory

Actually im not 100% sure that is the answer either. Resource Monitor is telling me that only 262MB are hardware reserved.

image.thumb.png.f3b0d0d96b6a4ffbe4f0c2768514e7ef.png

the iGPU is allowed to steal upto 50% of system RAM, so that is where the number 7.9 is coming from. Not sure why it wouldn't be useable then though.

Then again, looking at the actual per-process usage I don't see anything using it I can see maybe 4GB of usage here, not just shy of 10GB

image.thumb.png.531896252deabf818c33309beef70e34.png

19 hours ago, Justin_ said:

So yeah, there is 7.9G of shared memory, but the dGPU still has the 4GB onboard memory

And yet same numbers for dGPU read as 12gigs... Its reporting odd numbers, not actual ones. You can see from iGPU that its only using 400Mb at the moment of that image taken. 

So quick google since I wasn't sure what that amount counts. Its just pagefile in the end. Which by default is 50% of RAM. Its not reserving your actual RAM, just stating the amount of disk space to be used if IGPU or dGPU run out of their dedicated amounts. IIRC max for iGPU has generally been 1.5Gb, and I can't find anything stating that wouldn't be the case here too.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv