Google's Project Ara modular smartphones to launch in January 2015

TopWargamer

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/04/16/google-project-ara-phones-set-to-launch-in-jan-2015/

During the company’s Project Ara developer conference this week,  Google reportedly unveiled its intentions to get Ara smartphones on the market by January of 2015 – about 9 months from now. That’s an aggressive target, but Google already has partners who are interested in helping to supply some of the parts, and it certainly has plenty of interest among potential developers and smartphone enthusiasts like ourselves. Google also has some of its brightest minds working on making sure it happens.

Oh wow, that's extremely soon. So we'll FINALLY be able to get modular smartphones in LESS than a year! Can't wait to see where this will lead the development of future smartphones. One thing's for sure - Project Ara is definitely going to shake up the industry. 

COMIC SANS

I'm definitely interested in this. I want to see pricing on modules and how well the phone performs as a whole. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

That's pretty much the end of my phone's contract. So freaking excited

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Hopefully the cost of modularity (overall size) isn't too great, as fun and useful as customising the phone would be, I really don't want to be carrying a giant brick around. 

Hopefully the cost of modularity (overall size) isn't too great, as fun and useful as customising the phone would be, I really don't want to be carrying a giant brick around. 

http://time.com/65276/project-ara/

Found this article, point 7 states that the prototype is less than 10mm thick.

Can't wait for this.

An interesting project

PC: The Oracle
Phone History: Nokia 3310, Samsung Z500, HTC Touch, iPhone 3GS + Samsung S5600 Preston, iPhone 3GS + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S2 + Samsung Galaxy Tab + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S3 + Blackberry Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Blackberry Bold 9900 + Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Note 2  + Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy S4 +Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S5

http://time.com/65276/project-ara/

Found this article, point 7 states that the prototype is less than 10mm thick.

Can't wait for this.

Im actually impressed, my biggest concern of PhoneBloks was how figgin big the things were

Already? Wow.

but%20now%20you%20have%20my%20attention.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

I'm excited. I just a read a nice piece on the Verge about the team behind Ara. They sound ambitious and crazy but hasn't every good invention and its inventor(s) been labeled the same? My optimism has grown that this will in fact come to market and change everything. 

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Can't wait to see how awful first generation will be.

I don't see why is everyone exited for modular design in phones, we should know that modular design always takes up more space and for phones that will be awful.

5inch phone with 1200mah battery ftw.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.